mtbr member
    Apr 2010

1up Double or Single + Add on

Simple question, but I would love some opinions on the matter. I tend to go biking by myself, but occasionally about once a week or once every other week I go biking with my brother and haul that bike also. Price wise, it is smarter to by the double bike rack because it is cheaper than the single + add on by about $30 if I do super duty 2", but I won't be able to reduce to the 1 bike rack for all the other times. What do you guys think or enjoy currently??

Should I get the Single + add on, is it that easy to add the additional tray on that It won't bother me at all to do that.

or does having the double not bother you at all with only one bike on it?

Thanks...
    -Mike

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Mike - I would just get the double and run it all the time.
    FatLab Tutumaz Ti 27.5+
    Strong Racing Steel 26" Hardtail
    Strong Racing Steel Road 700c

FatLab or Sandman ?'s PM ME

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I run the double all the time and only haul my bike the majority. The double gives you the oppurtunity to expand up to 4 bikes, while the single is only supposedly expanded to 2. All depends how often you are planning on removing rack. I believe it is around 20lbs difference.

mtbr member
    I did the single plus an additional tray, but I don't intend to run 4 trays because I have a roof rack. I really enjoy the size of the single rack by itself and can access my hatch easily.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the advice, I went with the black super duty double today!!
    Last edited by Farslasher; 06-04-2016 at 11:54 AM.

b a n n e d
    I'm late to the party on this one, but in case others read this in the future, I opted for a single heavy duty and a single add-on. Like OP, 75% of the time, I ride solo or meet folks at the trail so only need to haul one bike. I appreciate the slimmer profile and lower weight of the single bike setup, though the ease with which the add-on attaches is a non-starter. Really happy with the flexibility of my setup, even though it was more expensive in the end.

Either way, you can't really go wrong with a 1x or 2x tray setup from 1-UP. It's just solid equipment.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Farslasher View Post
    Simple question, but I would love some opinions on the matter. I tend to go biking by myself, but occasionally about once a week or once every other week I go biking with my brother and haul that bike also. Price wise, it is smarter to by the double bike rack because it is cheaper than the single + add on by about $30 if I do super duty 2", but I won't be able to reduce to the 1 bike rack for all the other times. What do you guys think or enjoy currently??

Should I get the Single + add on, is it that easy to add the additional tray on that It won't bother me at all to do that.

or does having the double not bother you at all with only one bike on it?

Thanks...
    -Mike
    Definitely be able to go to a single rack especially if you don't ever need to go to 4 bikes. It's so much easier to wrangle the single module than a double - and therefore faster.

J.

Let's build one more
    I currently have a two bike platform rack and it uses hooks on the TT to secure the bikes. What I really like is that the bikes don't move around much at all. Being that the 1UP only has the tires in a tray and secured at the tire, does it move back the forth at all? Hate to see bikes swinging around or bouncing back and forth.
    Was thinking of the 1UP single with add on myself since 90% I toss the bike on there by itself, mainly for work/travel.
    Ryan McLatchy, you are my hero

"We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    I currently have a two bike platform rack and it uses hooks on the TT to secure the bikes. What I really like is that the bikes don't move around much at all. Being that the 1UP only has the tires in a tray and secured at the tire, does it move back the forth at all? Hate to see bikes swinging around or bouncing back and forth.
    Was thinking of the 1UP single with add on myself since 90% I toss the bike on there by itself, mainly for work/travel.
    The 1Up rack arms are to be pressed into the tire such that it deforms the tire. It's a tight hold. There is pretty much zero movement in the tray along the axis of the tray.

IMO, the only reasons to get the double rack are (1) you will never use less than two bikes and/or (2) you have to go to a four bike rack.

If you are going to be running less than four or want to use one bike at a time, then without a doubt the single most module setup is the way to go.

J.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Question, I measured my double from hitch end to end and it was 31.5" long, how long is the single heavy duty? Anyone have one that can measure for me please

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Being that the 1UP only has the tires in a tray and secured at the tire, does it move back the forth at all? Hate to see bikes swinging around or bouncing back and forth.
    I have the 1UP double, I mostly take my bike as well but I purchased the 2 tray so that we can take my wife's bike when she comes along. The bikes never touch each other and the movement back and forth is very minimal. As Johnj80 said, the rack arms press into the tire such that it pushes into the tire for a pretty solid hold. The more you push into the tire the tighter the hold. It's not going to drop your bike.

What I like is the rack is stupid easy to use man, it's not that heavy either, and it can be put on in about 1 minute and you can get a bike on it in less than that. It is just as easy to take off your vehicle too, takes less than a minute and it folds up nicely small. It is expensive, but for me, I love the ease of use.

After a hard ride, I can roll up the to the truck, put my bike on the rack and secure it in like 30 seconds. Done!! I'm not exaggerating either. I'm pretty beat after a good ride and did not want a rack that I would have to do all kinds of steps (screwing around) to get the bike on a secure it. I think you'll love the 1 up. I did purchase the black, while it looks nice I think I should have save some money and got the aluminum color. Buyers remorse I guess.