mtbr member
    Apr 2011

The 1Up Came In Today...

...and yeah, its a seriously nice piece of work.

Just for fun I set out the gopro and tried to assemble and load it without looking at the directions. Took me about 5 minutes. There was a manufacturing error with the hitch bolt. The pin was far enough off center that the tool would not seat properly. I spent about 2 of those 5 minutes fiddling with that. A quick call to the guys in WI got a new part on the way, and the guy told me I could swap one of the other bolts in the mean time.

It loads and unloads like a dream. The wife is very pleased because the Swagman rack was almost impossible for her.

The only bad thing I can say about it is that it has too much ground clearance; maybe if it had a little less upward rake, the fourth bike would not be so much up in the wind and it would get better mileage.....maybe.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Where did you buy it and how much. I'm considering one but it's sooo expensive, looks like for a 4 bikes like you have it would be about $900 while a regular 4 bikes rack start around $100?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    1up only sells direct. Four bikes is about $950shipped.

You really can't compare it to $100 hanger style racks. Those hanger racks are a little more than a closet rod designed to hold $500 worth of walmart bikes for a twice yearly drive to grandmas house. Good luck trying to put a full suspension bike on one of them, the rub marks on they'd leave on your expensive carbon hard tail would be a crime, and the first time you ground out and the first thing that hits is a $1500 set of wheels and tires you'll see the advantage of the tray racks.

Racks like the 1up and the T2 are all about the frequent transport of $5,000 to $10,000 worth of bikes. They're for people who are several times a week racking up a stable of high end machines.

In terms of pricing, what you get with a 1up that you're not getting with a T2 or the Yakima equivalent is size convertibility. The 4 place 1 up can very quickly become a 3 place or a 2 place, so you're never carrying more slots than you need, which is handy for maneuvering. Also the 1up folds nicely for storage when not in use. Most 4 place racks when not in use take up as much space as short stack of 1/2 plywood sheets; they won't fit in a trunk. The 1up will go in a reasonable sized trunk or hatch back area and if you put it in the garage its the size of a couple moving boxes.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That's my issue here... I have a full sus carbon frame bike which I haule on a 20 years old trunk style $25 bike rack. It actually fits unlike modern racks because there are no straps attached to the support bars.

However it bothers me because I'm not confident having my nice bike on it and I need to have it on all the time (because it's so annoying to put it up and remove it 3 times a week) and don't like the fact it could explode my rear window in case I get rear-ended with my son in the back seat (rear) facing the window.

I'm considering getting a trailer hitch and a 1up 1-bike rack for day to day and if I need to get more bikes on occasinally I can use my old rack or get a new $100 rack I suppose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Go check out the Curt hitch website. CURT Videos | CURT Manufacturing

They have videos that show you exactly how to mount their hitches on a wide variety of vehicles. I did the hitch on my wife's last car and it was simple. 2 wrenches and about 45 minutes. That can really help keep costs down.

Also with 1 up you can just by the 2 bike rack and add the additional spots as need dictates.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Geotrouvetout67 View Post
    (rear)I'm considering getting a trailer hitch and a 1up 1-bike rack for day to day and if I need to get more bikes on occasinally I can use my old rack or get a new $100 rack I suppose.
    Just make it happen, if you really have a nice bike like that its a no brainer. The hitch is a bit of an expense but the rack is a lifetime buy. I just sold mine for what I paid, 4 years later. I now have the black version 1.25" w/add on. I should be ordering a roof tray soon as well .

mtbr member
    May 2013

1.25 vs 2

Quote Originally Posted by Subyroo651 View Post
    Just make it happen, if you really have a nice bike like that its a no brainer. The hitch is a bit of an expense but the rack is a lifetime buy. I just sold mine for what I paid, 4 years later. I now have the black version 1.25" w/add on. I should be ordering a roof tray soon as well .
    Probably will by July. Why did you go with the 1.25? For my car I can only get 1.25 but I was thinking getting an adapter for a 2 in case on my next car I can go with the 2in receiver, it seems stronger. Lots of racks like Yakima only go 2in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Geotrouvetout67 View Post
    Probably will by July. Why did you go with the 1.25? For my car I can only get 1.25 but I was thinking getting an adapter for a 2 in case on my next car I can go with the 2in receiver, it seems stronger. Lots of racks like Yakima only go 2in.
    I was a tough call for me, I just sold my old and bought a brand new black one. I started with a 1.25" hitch on my last car so it was a no-brainer then. Now I have a 2" hitch on my new car and I'm using the 1UP supplied adapter. I would still go with the (1.25" & 2") version over the (2" only) version,It gives you the best versatility, you cannot break down the (2") version as its all 1pc. The only benefit of the 2" version is that you can expand to 4-Bikes instead of 3 on the other.

Whatever you do, do not go the external adapter route. It adds extra slop and more importantly length, which will lever the weight further out and destroy your 1.25" hitch setup with up & down bouncing.

Most 1.25" hitches are designed to PULL light loads and carry even lighter loads (100-150lbs max) So unless your next vehicle is a truck with a respectable tongue weight rating, stick with the 1.25 version and keep it down to 2-bikes which is really all you want given such a low tongue weight capability.