mtbr member
    Jan 2013

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee rack choices

Being I am poor most days I am looking for a reasonable price bike rack for my Trek Mamba 29er, I am hoping to get opinions of people using current racks, I went to the recycle yard and found a 1 1/4 hitch I just need to mount. I looked on flea bay and there are some cheap racks but I also know you get what you pay for. and would hate for my bike to be bouncing around since I had to save to get it.

Roof rack or trailer hitch just for bikes at a reasonable price ..

Suggestions ...

Thanks

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by freebird914 View Post
    Being I am poor most days I am looking for a reasonable price bike rack for my Trek Mamba 29er, I am hoping to get opinions of people using current racks, I went to the recycle yard and found a 1 1/4 hitch I just need to mount. I looked on flea bay and there are some cheap racks but I also know you get what you pay for. and would hate for my bike to be bouncing around since I had to save to get it.

Roof rack or trailer hitch just for bikes at a reasonable price ..

Suggestions ...

Thanks
    I'd keep an eye out on CL and Ebay for a rack as your most cost effective option. If your interested I have a Yakima Roof rack off of a Cherokee holding 3 bikes for $300. Do not like to self promote stuff but if it helps someone out in the end then its a win win

Vincit qui patitur
    If you have a factory rack with crossrails, I went with the Thule Big Mouth.
    I have a 99 Grand Cherokee and I have two for both bikes.
    If you only have side rails PM me and I can do some checking since I work at a Jeep dealer.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Re: 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee rack choices

May be obvious...but I'm also poor and just put the bike in the back of the jeep. You may live out of your jeep if you're that poor so I don't know your circumstances....but there is plenty of room without spending money on some jank-ass hitch or roof mount that you can barely reach anyways. Just think about pulling some 20-something pound bike down from your roof.... but whatever. Save the cash, throw it in the back

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a 97 JGC myself. I found my Thule rack at the junkyard for $20 or so. I used to grab racks and flip them on craigslist, but don't really bother anymore. The trick is to find one that isn't locked, or bring a hacksaw to cut the roof rails off the donor vehicle and deal with the locks later. Rack and road usually has keys.

For my Jeep I snagged some flat, old school, roof rails off of a Cherokee limited. They fit perfect and only needed a couple holes drilled. With flat rails, the racks are tons beefier.

That said, I ditched my roof top bike racks, since it's too hard sticking a bike 6 feet high on something. I'm looking to rig my roof racks onto a hitch cargo tray somehow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Grab the hitch at the junkyard now BTW. There will be a time in the near future when ZJ's will be scarce at junkyards.