Thread: 15mm tray?

H8 H8 H8

15mm tray?

Are there any 15mm rack trays out there? I know all about the 9mm to 15/20mm adapters but would like something that would take 15mm direct.

It sure seems like it would be easier, cheaper, and stronger to build the racks for 20mm and then provide inserts for 15/9mm, rather than using those janky-assed adapters that are out there now....

Thanks!
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    How is it easier to make a 9mm fork adapter for a 20mm tray than vice versa? It seems more complicated to me
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

H8 H8 H8
    Seems it would be nothing more than a pair of simple lathe-turned cylindrical plugs.... rather than a cut - bent - stamped - machined - welded - painted hunk o' iron like the current adapters.

But I suppose I am probably missing something, since nobody seems to be doing this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The adaptors work great and the ones we make, have we rarely seen any problems with them, they fit a need and work great. What seems "janky-assed" would be adaptors for 9mm or 15mm that works for a 20mm rack, how would those be any different?
    The big reason that you dont see every rack manufacturer jumping to make a thru-axle (15mm, 20mm) dedicated rack is because you would need an adaptor to fit the other sizes, now how would that be different than what we already have?

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    The adaptors work great and the ones we make, have we rarely seen any problems with them, they fit a need and work great. What seems "janky-assed" would be adaptors for 9mm or 15mm that works for a 20mm rack, how would those be any different?
    The big reason that you dont see every rack manufacturer jumping to make a thru-axle (15mm, 20mm) dedicated rack is because you would need an adaptor to fit the other sizes, now how would that be different than what we already have?
    It sure seems to me that the clean way to do it would have the tray feature a big hollow tube into which you pop a simple cylindrical adapter for whatever fork you have... same idea as hubs that can take multiple axle sizes - the rack is the "hub" and you stick in an "axle" to match whatever fork you have.

Nothing personal, I just don't like the current adapters. I'm sure they work fine... but they're inelegant and I'm an effete snob.

SPECIALizED
    Dec 2010
    It could be width for one. I believe the 20 is 110 wide and the 9 is 100 wide? You would need to make it narrow for the 9 so you would still need adapters for the 20. Not sure of the with of the 15.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah, there's the whole hub width thing too. More to the point, What is the percentage of mountain bikes to "every other type of bike that gets put on a car"?

The rack companies just want to appeal to the widest audience possible. I think the percentage of 9mm QR bikes out there is muuuuuuuch higher than 15mm/20mm/24mm/25mm/Lefty/Pugsley offset/135mm forks. Especially when tons of MTBers are going to wheel-on bike racks.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Yeah, there's the whole hub width thing too. More to the point, What is the percentage of mountain bikes to "every other type of bike that gets put on a car"?

The rack companies just want to appeal to the widest audience possible. I think the percentage of 9mm QR bikes out there is muuuuuuuch higher than 15mm/20mm/24mm/25mm/Lefty/Pugsley offset/135mm forks. Especially when tons of MTBers are going to wheel-on bike racks.
    If only we could get the roadies to switch to through-axle.... Then there would be a lot more people to be as anal about this stuff as I am.

Oh well, guess I'll build my own. Thanks guys!

650b me
    Broussard, you are not alone. This seems like a huge opportunity for the rack manufacturers. Like you, I'm ready to make my own...if only I had a complete metal shop at my disposal. It would be so much cleaner. I can't stand the look/thought of putting one of those clunky adapters on top of the nice, streamlined Thule setup I have now. Plus, they're a total rip-off! 40-something bucks for a crude hunk of metal? Huh????

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    15mm axles are coming to the road market, especially being that disc brakes are going to the road.
    I know that I hold the patent on the thru-axle adaptors and of course I'm baised, I cant believe some peoples reasoning in regards about using an adaptor, I know its your choice to use one or not, but using words like clunky, inelegant,etc...they are just an adaptor that serves a purpose very well. Someone mentioned that it takes away the sleek lines of a roof rack....really? any bike rack is going to take away any sleekness, do people put bike racks on their cars for the sleekness factor? or to look cool? I hope not, because its neither. Bikeracks serve a purpose, to carry a bike.

H8 H8 H8
    I know that I hold the patent on the thru-axle adaptors and of course I'm baised,
    I didn't realize that, and would not have used those words had I known the audience. Your adapters are a great retrofit solution, and I'm sure many are very happy with them.

I'm just looking for a system that doesn't require large pieces of metal and extraneous clamps. I find the ad-hoc appearance aesthetically displeasing, but also have some functional reasons for what I want. If you think it silly of me, that's OK... I'm a silly person.

So anyway, I take it the answer to my original question is "no".

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    At least you, as I do, see humor in most of the arguements on this site, I just needed my daily dose and add some commentary of my own

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I will say this: My Thule fork mount with Hurricane 15/20mm adapter looks far sleeker than my Thule Sidearm.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

Levi Early
    do people put bike racks on their cars for the sleekness factor? or to look cool? I hope not, because its neither. Bikeracks serve a purpose, to carry a bike.
    sadly enough a lot of people do put bike racks on their cars to look cool. look at all the honda kids and vw kids nowadays. I have been auto crossing and road racing hondas for about 15 years now and I have suddenly in the last few years seen a huge explosion in bike racks being an accessory. The first time I saw a rack on a riced out little honda I asked the guy what he rode. His reply was "what? ride what? you mean bikes? no I dont ride, I think it just looks cool" facepalm x infinity

I use mine to carry my bikes and have since I started driving in 1996. I had a rack before I had a license!

650b me
    I want to apologize for my comments earlier. They were pretty harsh.

Fact is, the thru-axle adapter is a simple, inexpensive way to roll with the changes of the bike industry and not make your expensive tray suddenly obsolete. Considering all of the options, I will probably end up buying one, if not two.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    EvYou dont have to apologize to me regarding the adaptors. I realize everyone has their own opinion and I value that. Our Fork Up adaptors, those from Hurricane, Yakima or Thule, may not be for everyone but when I developed this product back in 1996, there wasn't really any other options to carry your thru axle forked bike, except for putting your bike in your trunk, backseat or in the bed of your truck.
    The Fork Up products are just as successful now as they were then