mtbr member
    Mar 2010

15mm fork to 9 mm Yakima rack

I've got the standard yakima fork rack with 9mm skewers. My fork is a 15mm. Can I use the cheap 9mm to 15mm cylindrical reducers/adapters? Or do I actually need a Park, Yakima, Thule, etc adapter specifically for bike racks?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    well the yakima rack is expecting 9mm dropouts, so you will need to do some sort of adaptation to change from a through axle to dropout, which is what the Yakima and Thule through axle adapters are for. It doesn't necessarily need to be from them, but you do need an adapter.

code: mtbr2011
    you'll need something like one of these 15mm thru-axle adapters

mtbr member
    I have had good luck with the thule adapter. Make sure you keep it snugged down good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What part are you saying to " snug down"? The adaptor on the fork or the adaptor in the rack? If it's not tightening down on the fork, which we haven't had any problems, I can help you with that, if it's the rack, I can't, because it would be a problem with the rack, not the adaptor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm actually really happy someone has this thread going right at this moment.

I've got this thru-axle "adaptor" for my 20mm fork, and can't possibly for the life of me really think you guys set it up like this??!!!?!?!?
    15mm fork to 9 mm Yakima rack-20141013_213255.jpg15mm fork to 9 mm Yakima rack-20141013_213311.jpg

I've got that front skewer thing cranked as tight as I can get it by hand, and I've got the rear wheel ratcheted down using a metal bar as leverage to pull it tight, but I can STILL use my hands on the rear wheel to rock the bike front-to-back. Not a whole lot, maybe 1-3", but still......

There HAS to be a better option of something that's stable other than these loosey-goosey adaptors.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Also, OP, keep in mind that with the Thule adaptor your bike is not locked to your rack at all. I went with the RockyMounts adaptor just for that reason.