mtbr member
    Nov 2011

'12 Mustang, hitch rack, bar too short

Hi--

We are trying to put a Thule Doubletrack 990XT on a '12 mustang with a 1 1/4" receiver. The bar that goes into the receiver is too short. I am seeking advice on how to handle this.

I thought about getting a receiver extension, but am afraid that with just a pin thru the extension (no bolt like the bike rack has), there will be too much play.

TIA,

Dennis

I'd rather be on my bike
    How far in does the hitch sit? Always wondered how it would be on the Mustang. I looked at my '13 and it just looks like there isn't much room to work with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm the OP's son. The Mustang is mine.

My particular hitch (draw-tite) is recessed about 6 1/2 inches. I'll try to grab some pics of it tomorrow.

The bar that goes into the receiver on the Thule Doubletrack is about an inch too short. It won't go into the receiver quite far enough to get the pin through.

I think I've got a solution. I ordered a receiver extension and a threaded "no wobble" hitch pin. Using these in conjunction should give me more than enough room to work with. Fingers crossed...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Re: '12 Mustang, hitch rack, bar too short

Here are some pics of the hitch on the Mustang.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Wow that is way under there. Have you tried contacting Thule to see what they say?

OT - are those the GT500 axle backs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

I'm actually getting rid of the Thule rack. I put it on another car to try it out and discovered that when you have 2 bikes on there that are the same frame size and geometry the hook that clamps onto the frame won't go down far enough to secure the second bike. There are some things that could be done to work around the problem, but that was the last straw for me.

I am going to shoot Thule an email and suggest that they stop listing that rack as being compatible with our cars. I think they assumed that since it's a hitch rack it would automatically work with any car in the world that has a hitch.

In addition to all this crap with the hitch and the rack, I bent my cassette when I was out on the trail today. This just hasn't been my week when it comes to bikes lol.

On the bright side, I discovered the Saris Freedom 2 rack that someone had in the parking lot. The receiver bar is longer than the Thule and it's a good bit lighter. It looks like it would work great with my setup so I went ahead and ordered one.

Those are the stock V6 axle backs. I plan to get an o/r x-pipe and a set of Corsa axle backs but I'm probably going to wait until my warranty runs out since it will require a tune.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Sorry to go off topic, but you can do all of that with the warranty. I did a JBA modular X and Flowmaster Outlaws on mine, no tune needed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I wouldn't say that's a fault of Thule so much as it is a fault of the manufacturer of that hitch.

I have a friend who had the same problem with an aftermarket hitch on a '14 Forester. The Draw-tite hitch he has doesn't stick out as far as the Subaru OEM hitch and as such, his hitch rack doesn't fit without an extender.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Sorry to go off topic, but you can do all of that with the warranty. I did a JBA modular X and Flowmaster Outlaws on mine, no tune needed.
    No problem. I'm always up for talking about cars

I won't go into detail here, but when I do my exhaust upgrade I plan to remove certain "unnecessary components." The removal of these components will throw a CEL and that will need to be fixed with a tune

Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I wouldn't say that's a fault of Thule so much as it is a fault of the manufacturer of that hitch.

I have a friend who had the same problem with an aftermarket hitch on a '14 Forester. The Draw-tite hitch he has doesn't stick out as far as the Subaru OEM hitch and as such, his hitch rack doesn't fit without an extender.
    The problem is that there isn't an OEM hitch for my car and all of the aftermarket hitches that I've seen have the receiver positioned in pretty much the same place.

I realize that it's not an issue on most cars and that mine is an outlier. To me, the bigger issue with the Thule rack was not being to haul 2 bikes with the same frame size. That's what made me to decide to send it back.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ro$$ View Post
    No problem. I'm always up for talking about cars

I won't go into detail here, but when I do my exhaust upgrade I plan to remove certain "unnecessary components." The removal of these components will throw a CEL and that will need to be fixed with a tune
    Don't worry, I won't let the cat out of the bag.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Don't worry, I won't let the cat out of the bag.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Tried out the new rack for the first time today. So far I'm really happy with it. Fits the car without needing a receiver extension and doesn't wobble around too much going down the road.

The Saris rack weighs a little over 22 pounds, about half what the old Thule rack weighed. It's a lot easier to handle. Carrying the Thule rack out to the car was more of a workout than the ride lol.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I'd rather be on my bike
    Glad that it worked out for you! Jealous of the color BTW!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks! I love the color. You've gotta be extra careful, though. Cops can see that color from a mile away lol. That's where the valentine 1 comes in handy

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4