Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    803

    1 Up USA Long Term Corrosion?

    I did a search but didn't find anything in particular about how well the 1 Up rack holds up to salt & snow exposure. My T2 is just about toast and the 1 up will likely be my next rack, but does anyone have input on how well it holds up long term to salt & moisture exposure? The Thule looked really bad after just 2 winters.

    One would think that the aluminum would hold up well, but I've seen plenty of oxidized aluminum in my time. Taking the rack off my car in the winter is not an option since my Pugsley would object if I didn't take it out to play

    Another thing I don't know: how long has this rack been in production? Has it been long enough for us to know how it will hold up for 5-6 years of use? Thanks in advance to the input!
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,615
    My rack is at least 5 years old.

    The 1UpUSA rack will corrode to the extent that any aluminum rack will corrode when in contact with salt or other corrosive material. It will fare much better than any steel rack would. I would guess that some of the piece parts might be stainless - which will corrode but should be replaceable.

    All that said, the thing is *super* easy to mount and remove. It literally takes less than 30 seconds to mount the rack to the hitch. I have mounted mine in the time it took for my son to bring me a bike to put on it. For this reason, and because it's easy to do, I'd remove it from the vehicle when I wasn't using it.

    J.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot View Post
    I did a search but didn't find anything in particular about how well the 1 Up rack holds up to salt & snow exposure. My T2 is just about toast and the 1 up will likely be my next rack, but does anyone have input on how well it holds up long term to salt & moisture exposure? The Thule looked really bad after just 2 winters.

    One would think that the aluminum would hold up well, but I've seen plenty of oxidized aluminum in my time. Taking the rack off my car in the winter is not an option since my Pugsley would object if I didn't take it out to play

    Another thing I don't know: how long has this rack been in production? Has it been long enough for us to know how it will hold up for 5-6 years of use? Thanks in advance to the input!
    I live in the Pacific NW so there isn't much salt but plenty of rain. I also spent a year in Phoenix so its had its share of direct sun. I leave my rack on year-round and have had it for about 4 years now. It's definitely got some exposure-related changes but no corrosion. Everything works like it did from day one.

    I think the rack has been around for over a decade.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post

    All that said, the thing is *super* easy to mount and remove. It literally takes less than 30 seconds to mount the rack to the hitch. I have mounted mine in the time it took for my son to bring me a bike to put on it. For this reason, and because it's easy to do, I'd remove it from the vehicle when I wasn't using it.

    J.
    True. The videos I've seen sure seem to support what you say. Still, I ride all year & it will still see the salt & snow even if I only leave it on when it's actually being used. It certainly should hold up better than my T2. A friend bought the Kuat NV and after only one winter it is showing signs of rust on most of the fasteners. The 1 Up sure seems to use better materials than the either the Thule or Kuat but I have not seen one in the flesh.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

  5. #5
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,213
    Leaving a rack on all the time is asking for a ticket IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Leaving a rack on all the time is asking for a ticket IMO.
    Why's that?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Naturally Aspirated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    353
    I think in some instances, it covers the rear license plate.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,615
    On corrosion:
    Well, just the fact that it's made from Aluminum means for corrosion purposes, it has it all over anything steel (Yak, Thule, Kuat etc...). So that should be just fine. You'll probably need to replace some of the hardware pieces eventually, but that should be easy enough.

    On license plate:
    Not for one tray. That generally just covers the bumper.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated View Post
    I think in some instances, it covers the rear license plate.
    Fair enough if that's the situation but that certainly seems more case-by-case than the post I quoted implies.

  10. #10
    Single Speed Junkie
    Reputation: crux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated View Post
    I think in some instances, it covers the rear license plate.
    It covers the license plate on our Mazda 3 and Xterra. On the Jeep there was no interference. I do not have an issue with it but when traveling to AZ (Between Flag & PHX) I've had issues being pulled over and ticketed for the rack with bike on blocking the plate. When it is folded up it covers the plate even more. Will still use the rack when needed as we need to get to the trail head somehow. Would be nice to have a plate relocation bracket for those that need it but would most likely cause interference with other areas on some cars.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    It covers the license plate on our Mazda 3 and Xterra. On the Jeep there was no interference. I do not have an issue with it but when traveling to AZ (Between Flag & PHX) I've had issues being pulled over and ticketed for the rack with bike on blocking the plate. When it is folded up it covers the plate even more. Will still use the rack when needed as we need to get to the trail head somehow. Would be nice to have a plate relocation bracket for those that need it but would most likely cause interference with other areas on some cars.
    I have a Honda Fit and Toyota truck and a double rack and the license plate is visible w/ the rack folded. When bikes are on there, it's a little congested but I've never had anyone (even in the podunk town I live) have issues with it. Even living in PHX with the rack on 24/7 I got by without anyone noticing. I never thought of myself as lucky but apparently I am.

    Couldn't you just make your own relocation bracket? The large flat area (with bolt holes, even) that acts as the mating surface between trays seems like the perfect place to put the plate.

  12. #12
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,213
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Why's that?
    Because it's illegal to block your license. Usually they cut you some slack when you got bikes on the rack (and you aren't driving like an a$$), but they are usually less lenient if you just have the rack on the back.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    I have a Honda Fit and Toyota truck and a double rack and the license plate is visible w/ the rack folded. When bikes are on there, it's a little congested but I've never had anyone (even in the podunk town I live) have issues with it. Even living in PHX with the rack on 24/7 I got by without anyone noticing. I never thought of myself as lucky but apparently I am.

    Couldn't you just make your own relocation bracket? The large flat area (with bolt holes, even) that acts as the mating surface between trays seems like the perfect place to put the plate.
    Can you post a pic of the rack on your FIT?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Because it's illegal to block your license. Usually they cut you some slack when you got bikes on the rack (and you aren't driving like an a$$), but they are usually less lenient if you just have the rack on the back.
    As others have indicated, it depends on your vehicle. It doesn't block my plate, even when folded...so I leave mine on most of the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 Up USA Long Term Corrosion?-img_2054_small.jpg  


  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Can you post a pic of the rack on your FIT?
    I assume you mean folded up? I'll try to take one tomorrow.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Because it's illegal to block your license. Usually they cut you some slack when you got bikes on the rack (and you aren't driving like an a$$), but they are usually less lenient if you just have the rack on the back.
    I get where you're coming from but a blanket statement like your original comment probably doesn't work as well as you intended. I drive with my rack on all the time and it isn't asking for a ticket because it doesn't obstruct anything. It seems like that's the experience of a decent percentage of other 1up users as well. That's part of the 1up's beauty - compact, efficient, and (for the purposes of this discussion) virtually corrosion-free

  17. #17
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,213
    Quote Originally Posted by mfan View Post
    As others have indicated, it depends on your vehicle. It doesn't block my plate, even when folded...so I leave mine on most of the time.
    I think you are assuming just "straight back" is the only angle that matters. What about if its being viewed from an angle from in back? What about if slightly elevated or negative elevation? If it would have been visible from any given angle without the rack, pretty sure in every state that constitutes "blocking the plate".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,332

    Wink

    Yeah, or if the cop is lying on the ground just behind the car, the rack could block the plate then...
    whatever...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    I assume you mean folded up? I'll try to take one tomorrow.
    folded and with bikes

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    folded and with bikes
    Here is one folded. I'm standing at the end of a parking spot.

    You'll have to imagine what it looks like with bikes. Basically the same, but with bikes.

    Attachment 791137
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 Up USA Long Term Corrosion?-photo.jpg  


  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Leaving a rack on all the time is asking for a ticket IMO.
    blocking a license plate?

  22. #22
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I think you are assuming just "straight back" is the only angle that matters. What about if its being viewed from an angle from in back? What about if slightly elevated or negative elevation? If it would have been visible from any given angle without the rack, pretty sure in every state that constitutes "blocking the plate".
    How much fear do you live in? Are the cops in your area pretty much bored nazis or something? I think you're picking some really tiny nits, here. And yeah... pretty much straight back, or slightly off to the side would be the only angles that matter.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    How much fear do you live in? Are the cops in your area pretty much bored nazis or something? I think you're picking some really tiny nits, here. And yeah... pretty much straight back, or slightly off to the side would be the only angles that matter.
    Thank goodness I'm not the only one thinking like this. Based on Jayem's logic, you'd need plates on the sides of your car because there's certainly nothing visible there. Positive or negative elevation?

    Between this and the people cutting themselves while using the rack, it's made me worry about our future.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    616
    there are cars that have their license plate mounting in the bumper... so I can see it blocking the plate in that instance. I have no worries, my plate is hatch mounted

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Naturally Aspirated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    353
    Even with my plate being mounted on the rear bumper, there is still clear line of sight. It MIGHT be blocked if I fold it up, but I never do that. The rack either has a bike on it, or it's folded up and stored in my trunk.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Long Term Storage
    By plyward in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-10-2013, 06:59 PM
  2. long term bar build
    By Irongrave in forum Beer Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 05:30 PM
  3. Long Term Use At Low PSI?
    By jonshonda in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 10:22 AM
  4. My 650b long term experiment (long post)
    By cobym2 in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 04:35 AM
  5. Which is the better long-term frame?
    By norwish in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •