Moderator Moderator

'05 Subie Impreza Outback Sport 5dr factory rack

Looking to carry a bike, kayak or canoe on my factory rack (bars both directions). Looks like a Yak frontloader will go directly on, anyone got one? Like it? Looks like options for the kayak too, but for some reason don't seem to make the canoe thingys (really just stops on the bars) for the factory rack. Anybody carried one on the factory rack?

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    Looking to carry a bike, kayak or canoe on my factory rack (bars both directions). Looks like a Yak frontloader will go directly on, anyone got one? Like it? Looks like options for the kayak too, but for some reason don't seem to make the canoe thingys (really just stops on the bars) for the factory rack. Anybody carried one on the factory rack?
    frontloader was released yesterday....if you can find someone that has them, you'd be stoked...we have some on backorder, and don't expect them to be filled until next week at the earliest. it's a good choice for attaching to factory bars, if you like the upright style of carrier....otherwise, the yakima forklift is a good choice too for a forkmount.

for a kayak, there are good options, esp. if you want to keep the bike loaded at the same time. try a J-shaped cradle like the yakima hullraiser aero, or the yakima bowdown racks. they both work on factory installed crossbars like you have.

for your canoe, i think the best option for you, since you're using the factory installed crossbars is to use the yakima universal canoe carrier foam blocks. they're a really good way to carry a canoe every once in awhile and will work on your existing crossbars.

hope that helps!!

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks C&R, that does help! And I don't haul the canoe that often, so the blocks should be fine. Now I'm looking forward to a road trip with bike & kayak on the roof & room for other stuff inside the car. Leaning toward the upright for the bike but always had the fork style so not sure. I'm 5'3", do you have any idea if the frontloader will be easy to load or a PITA for a shorter person?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    I'm 5'3", do you have any idea if the frontloader will be easy to load or a PITA for a shorter person?
    i don't think it would be that difficult...the car isn't that tall..it's not like you drive a landcruiser or an xterra.

as i usuallly say, once you do it for a little while, you'll get good at it, and it will become really 2nd nature.

i envision you popping the bike into the rack and getting it situated enough that you can step up into the door jamb and finish securing the bike with no problem.

Moderator Moderator
    I think so too, thx

Moderator Moderator
    Well, I finally mounted this Yakima Frontloader rack, here's some info...
    • the factory rack fit is excellent and easy to install
    • too tall for a 5'4" person to load without a stepstool
    • but easy to secure once you get it up on the rack
    • biggest problem - since my hatch has a spoiler, it no only opens a couple inches before hitting the bike tray, even when empty..essentially making the hatch unusable...I may hacksaw the tray shorter (to my longest bike size) to increase clearance...would have considered the shorter fork-mount rack if I'd realized this.

this would be a better application for the thule sidearm, because 16" of the tray is in front of the front crossbar, while the entire length of the tray of the frontloader is situated behind the front crossbar, making hatch interference a bigger issue.

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks for the tip, wish I'd thought of the hatch thing earlier...wasn't on the radar as I always had the shorter fork-mount models & also this hatch has a bigger fairing that gets in the way.

I wasn't clear from the copy if the Sidearm still needs the 532 Ride On adapter for the factory bars, or does the new feature avoid that?

the sidearm 594XT would attach to the factory crossbars without the 532 ride on adapter.
    you would still need 38" from the center of the front crossbar to the point of hatch interference.

skobiken
    Jun 2009
    Can't you just run the frontloader backwards to avoid that issue?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Idea
    Can't you just run the frontloader backwards to avoid that issue?
    +1
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Moderator Moderator
    Good idea, Bad Idea... I'll have to try that...looks like it would at least help the hatch open when there is no bike in the rack.