mtbr member
    Mar 2013

04 toyota prius long trip what bike carrier to get ?

this summer the family is going on a trip about 5 hours with 2 kids in car seats and a small prius I love to ride the trails in the black hills with my niner rip 9 but also do not want the bike to get any damage on the trip but will not fit in car with kids and gear so please hlep

I have a old thrule carrier thats straps to the trunk but I do not trust this bike carrier.

I would also like to keep the cost as low as possible hopfully $200.00 so I think I will have to look at used stuff .

I am thinking of getting a roof rack fork mount maybe a "Ryno " brand but this new would be like $275 for rack and $150 for bike adapter too much money.

Is there a diff style rack /carrier for my mountain bike that would be something I will not be scared the 4k bike will get damaged ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    2010 Prius owner here. I'd go with the hitch mount. Roof racks will kill your mpg. The hitch is a two bolt install. You and a friend can do it in 10 minutes.

2004 Toyota Prius Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

As far as the rack is concerned Performance Bicycle has a low cost, no frills hitch mount
    carrier. I have one, it is light and folds up to a nice small package when not in use.

TransIt Flatbed 2DLX 2-Bike Hitch Rack - Bike Transport

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    lickety, thanks for the great info .

not worried about a loss of 2-4 mpg more worried about my bike. and cost of a new bike carrier.I like the rear rack that performance has for sale 200 bucks but then I need a 125 dollar hitch also. maybe I can find a used rear rack and get a cheeper hitch thanks for the help !

do you own the hitch style rack ? on your 2010 prius?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jasontech17 View Post
    lickety, thanks for the great info .

not worried about a loss of 2-4 mpg more worried about my bike. and cost of a new bike carrier.I like the rear rack that performance has for sale 200 bucks but then I need a 125 dollar hitch also. maybe I can find a used rear rack and get a cheeper hitch thanks for the help !

do you own the hitch style rack ? on your 2010 prius?
    Yes I do. It is a little cheesy, but It works well. It has key locks for the bikes and a locking bolt that secures the bike carrier to the hitch. I was just throwing the bike into the back of the Prius, but now I can take a friend on bike trips and get the good gas mileage. Hauling bikes on the roof is like putting a sail on your roof. You will loose more than 2-4 mpg.

mtbr member
    I have a hitch on my 2012 Camry Hybrid. With bike and rack it does create a lot of drag which really doesn't affect you much around town but on the freeway you'll lose a good 4-5mpg or more but roof rack will be even worse IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think I am going with the 1 up rack after I do a side job to make the extra 300 bones for the rack then maybe I can find a used hitch for the prius and used hitch for the diesel jetta . If I am lucky I will have under 500 in my new carrier set up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Great choice.

J.

Did I catch a niner?
    Riding buddy has a 1up rack on his Prius and loves it. Very durable, someone actually hit it while parked on the street, has a small dent but still works fine. Folds ups nicely too to get out of the way.

I had a roof rack on my Passat Wagon and I did really like it and was convenient but it did eat up the mpg's, and wished my passat had a hitch on it. Well my Element does and picked up a Sportworks Veloporter 2 from a local guy for $200 and that included him making a 2in vs 1.25in for it.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1