mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Are there any 2018 Spectral rumors

I'm looking at getting a Spectral in the Spring. Most likely around April/May of 2018.

Are there any rumors of the 2018 offerings or coming changes?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Canyon is announcing the 2018 Spectral on December 11th.

https://www.canyon.com/en/specials/noroutine/

I've been scouring the internet looking for any sort of information about it, but nothing has leaked. Seems like Canyon is keeping things very quiet until the release. I'm really hoping for a 29er version. I too am looking to buy a bike in that same time frame and I hope Canyon delivers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    You've found more than I did. Lol.

A 29er is possible. I wouldn't mind see something in the 27.5+/wide (not full on fatties) world, but that could work for a 29er too.

I would be interested in seeing an updated rear link. There is nothing wrong with tried and true, but it doesn't scream cutting edge.

I guess we'll see next month.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Yeah a 29/27.5+ with a flip chip would be nice to accommodate the different wheel sizes.

I'm just praying that they update the rear end to boost spacing. The boost fork/non-boost rear end they have going on right now with some bikes is garbage. Makes it such a hassle if you want to get a new wheelset. The YT Jeffsy 29 (also on my shopping list) has it the other way around: non-boost fork with boost rear end. I also hope YT updates the fork to boost for 2018.

I'd be surprised if they changed the link design. The Horst link seems to be Canyon's bread and butter, it's simple, and doesn't really give up much to other designs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I rode the YT Jeffsy at Outlier in Vail, CO. They only had 27.5 in size large. It was a quick ride up a fire road and down single track. The single track had a quick mix of flowie, drops and loose dirt. The YT didn't light my pants on fire. It climbed as expected. It seemed harsh on the downhill, but I think the guy setup the shocks wrong. I'm 138lbs and really didn't seem to listen when I told him my weight. The tires were also skinny 2.3in ... meh.

The biggest issue was my heels would hit the rear chain stays when I pedaled. It was the weirdest thing. I've never had this happen on my bike. I used my CrankBrothers pedals and shoes. When I told the rep, he said it was possible and I should switch to platforms .... WTF! He said the 29er may give me more of an issue because it has shorter stays then the 27.5.

Overall it was a nice bike, but I like the components on the Canyon better. Canyon is still at the top of my list and YT or deal off of Craigslist are my backups.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Interesting review of the Jeffsy. I know it has a very progressive rear suspension tune, which could feel harsh to a lighter person like yourself. I don't like hearing that your heels hit the chainstays. At 6'3", 205 lbs, and size 13 shoe, the suspension tune would probably work okay for me, but the heels strikes would be a deal breaker for me. Also it sounds like the rep didn't know what he was talking about. YT's website says the Jeffsy 27 has 5 mm shorter chainstays than the Jeffsy 29, not the other way around. I guess I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that Canyon hits it out of the park with the 2018 Spectral.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you are in the USA - I think another alternative to YT or Canyon is Diamondback Release. Good components for the price, good return policy, VPP type suspension, and likely more sales coming up with Black Friday. And none of this BOOST/non-BOOST nonsense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I get a corporate discount with Diamondback, so I can get a fantastic deal. I am definitely tempted by the Catch, although what I would really like is a Release 29er. Basically the Catch with 29" wheels instead of 27.5"+. I know I can buy a 29" wheelset for the Catch, but that's more money I'd rather not spend. I also wish it came with a metric shock just to future-proof it a little more. But depending on what kind of Black Friday deals they offer, I could be sold on it. We'll see I guess.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    My current bike is a Cannondale Scalpel 2. You don't get more miss matched hubs than that .... Haha. Before that I had a Gary Fisher (pre-teck messing with them) and boost wasn't around them. I can see then advantage of having similar or matching hubs. Buying off the shelf wheel sets would be nice. I've actually never bought a wheel set so I that's a little less important.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by laj.tuxmek View Post
    I get a corporate discount with Diamondback, so I can get a fantastic deal. I am definitely tempted by the Catch, although what I would really like is a Release 29er. Basically the Catch with 29" wheels instead of 27.5"+. I know I can buy a 29" wheelset for the Catch, but that's more money I'd rather not spend. I also wish it came with a metric shock just to future-proof it a little more. But depending on what kind of Black Friday deals they offer, I could be sold on it. We'll see I guess.
    I have to say I was surprised when I looked at their site. I thought the only made super low end bikes for big box stores.

mtbr member
    Ive ridden the catch a few times and it is seriously an amazing bike for the price. I prefer it over the stumpjumper 6fattie and the release. I just hate bikes putting bottle mounts under the frame.

mtbr member
    Yeah a 29/27.5+ with a flip chip would be nice to accommodate the different wheel sizes.

I'm just praying that they update the rear end to boost spacing. The boost fork/non-boost rear end they have going on right now with some bikes is garbage. Makes it such a hassle if you want to get a new wheelset. The YT Jeffsy 29 (also on my shopping list) has it the other way around: non-boost fork with boost rear end. I also hope YT updates the fork to boost for 2018.

I'd be surprised if they changed the link design. The Horst link seems to be Canyon's bread and butter, it's simple, and doesn't really give up much to other designs.
    Waiiiiiiiiit. It's non boost rear?? 142? Maybe that's why I could not ffind that info on their website....
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Yep, the 2017 Spectral is non-boost front and rear (100x15 and 142x12). That is mentioned in these reviews:

Canyon Spectral CF 9.0 EX bike review - Mtbr.com
    Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 EX (2017) review - MBR
    Tested: Canyon Spectral AL 7.0 EX – Flow Mountain Bike

Their 2018 bikes (Strive and Exceed) have gone to boost forks simply because Rockshox only makes boost high-end forks for 2018. So I really hope they update the frame to boost spacing and a metric shock for 2018.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Yep, the 2017 Spectral is non-boost front and rear (100x15 and 142x12). That is mentioned in these reviews:

Canyon Spectral CF 9.0 EX bike review - Mtbr.com
    Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 EX (2017) review - MBR
    Tested: Canyon Spectral AL 7.0 EX – Flow Mountain Bike

Their 2018 bikes (Strive and Exceed) have gone to boost forks simply because Rockshox only makes boost high-end forks for 2018. So I really hope they update the frame to boost spacing and a metric shock for 2018.
    There will be a completely new Spectral this year (apparently to be announced next Monday), I think it's a safe bet to say it'll have boost spacing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I'm crossing my fingers .....

I'm sure I'm a bit behind the curve, but I just learned that you can adjust the length of the RockShock Pike fork. Being able to swap the guide rods to try 160mm in the front works be awesome. Just makes the CF EX build with GX Eagle and RockShock so attractive.

If they added boost and could handle a 2.6-2.8 tire, my quest for a new bike would be over. Just need the funds .... Haha

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Here is Pinkbike's review:

https://pinkbike.com/news/canyon-spe...ride-2018.html

Looks nice, but I'm still disappointed there is no 29er version.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Canyon shies away from 29ers ever since the Spectral 29 was such a lackluster in sales. Maybe they will add a 29er to their lineup next season now that they are selling in the US. Would make sense.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Wow, carbon frame weighs 3.8Kg? I assume that's with shock and hardware but still last model was 1.9Kg (no shock or hardware). Complete builds seem to be a couple pounds heavier than prior years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Probably a typo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Omg .... This is maddening, but maybe I'm getting lost in the details.

I was very sad to see the HA be slacked out to 66 degrees. I guess that is life these days.

The 9 Pro has everything thing I need/want and I love the Rock Shocks. The wheel set seems lacking and then there's that AL rear triangle ... Ugh.

Maybe I'm being a carbon snob about the rear triangle, but I've never had a bike the mixed and match materials in the rear end. I would love to hear people's thoughts on that. Is a real world rider, like me, really going for see the difference?

The wheel set seems lacking, but others can correct me. I would have much rather seen aluminum DT rims wrapped in Maxxis 2.6 rubber.

Then there is the weight difference between the Pro and SL. The site calls out .5kg difference in the medium frame. That's just over a pound. I'm sure most of that is the wheel set and rear triangle. I earn my down hills so weight does matter. I don't count grams/onces, but when we are talking about a pound that's a different.

Overal I still think the Spectral is at the top of my list, but how are others reading these changes or other changes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    Overal I still think the Spectral is at the top of my list, but how are others reading these changes or other changes?
    Unless you really need boost or 2.6" tires, there's not much to get excited about with the new Spectral. In my opinion the previous Spectral is really hard to improve upon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I think 66 degrees is spot on for this type of trail bike. Ironically bikeradar is complaining about the head angle being too conservative (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh59hC4Rgb4).

If you click on the frame in the components list you can see that the mixed frame of the CF 9.0 and below is 2600g vs 2400g for the full carbon frame of the high end version. That is a little less of a difference than Santa Cruz claims for the difference between thier high end ("CC") and normal ("C") carbon frames. All my bikes have small chips from rock strikes on their chain stays, I feel more comfortable knowing that those "wounds" are not susceptible to moisture, though I wouldn't panic about small chips in carbon chainstays either.

I guess the reason the CF 9.0 is on Mavic wheels and tires has something to do with them sponsoring the Canyon Enduro Team and Joe Barnes (and the Dudes of Hazzard).

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by denis0082 View Post
    I think 66 degrees is spot on for this type of trail bike. Ironically bikeradar is complaining about the head angle being too conservative (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh59hC4Rgb4).

If you click on the frame in the components list you can see that the mixed frame of the CF 9.0 and below is 2600g vs 2400g for the full carbon frame of the high end version. That is a little less of a difference than Santa Cruz claims for the difference between thier high end ("CC") and normal ("C") carbon frames. All my bikes have small chips from rock strikes on their chain stays, I feel more comfortable knowing that those "wounds" are not susceptible to moisture, though I wouldn't panic about small chips in carbon chainstays either.

I guess the reason the CF 9.0 is on Mavic wheels and tires has something to do with them sponsoring the Canyon Enduro Team and Joe Barnes (and the Dudes of Hazzard).
    That was a very good video. Not sure I agree with everything, but I'm also not into the low/long/slack thing

Very good point on the rock chips and impacts on the rear end. A ding into AL is a lot less scary than CF. Plus Canyon warranties both the front and rear triangles I missed the weight on the component break out.

Has anyone had experience with the Mavic rims?

Here is the graphic that outlines the comparison.
    Are there any 2018 Spectral rumors-canyon-spectral-spec-900x512.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonlespaulspecial View Post
    Unless you really need boost or 2.6" tires, there's not much to get excited about with the new Spectral. In my opinion the previous Spectral is really hard to improve upon.
    For my riding 2.6-2.8 are great. I don't ride hard enough to fold the wider tires, but I do love the traction.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    That was a very good video. Not sure I agree with everything, but I'm also not into the low/long/slack thing

Very good point on the rock chips and impacts on the rear end. A ding into AL is a lot less scary than CF. Plus Canyon warranties both the front and rear triangles I missed the weight on the component break out.

Has anyone had experience with the Mavic rims?

Here is the graphic that outlines the comparison.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canyon-Spectral-Spec-900x512.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	1171821
    Imo the Mavic XA Pro are out of place on this bike: They have the same aluminium spokes that I manage to break regularly on my light trail bike. Even Mavic puts them in category "3", whereas the Spectral is put in cat. "4" by Canyon.

Pos rep makes me sad
    German Bike mag take on it:

Neu: Canyon Spectral 2018

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Pretty cool to see 2.6" stock on pretty much all the builds. Will 2.6" become the new normal for trail bikes? I'm loving 2.6" DHF on my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It looks nice. But I cannot figure out if the fork is boost. Also curious why the CF9.0 Pro model has 2.4 tires while the rest have 2.6

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickon64 View Post
    It looks nice. But I cannot figure out if the fork is boost. Also curious why the CF9.0 Pro model has 2.4 tires while the rest have 2.6
    The 2018 Spectral is boost spacing front and rear. The 2018 Pike featured on many Spectral models is only available in boost.

I'm curious if you could manage to squeeze a 29 in. wheel in the back. It looks like there is still a lot of clearance with the stock 2.6 27.5 tire. These guys managed to do just that with the new carbon Kona Process 153 27.5: https://youtu.be/iukGno-KFyY

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    ---delete...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Rear tire seems to be a poor choice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by denis0082 View Post
    Rear tire seems to be a poor choice.
    Tires always seem to be a personal choice and OEM seem to go for the least offensive options.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Open Letter to Canyon in regards to Upcoming 2018 Spectral Purchase

Open Letter to Canyon in regards to Upcoming 2018 Spectral Purchase

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Kinematics analysis of the new Canyon Spectral. Hope you like it!

https://mrblackmorescorner.blogspot....tral-2018.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Looks like no ISCG mounts.. can someone confirm this?

mtbr member
    I'm curious if you could manage to squeeze a 29 in. wheel in the back. It looks like there is still a lot of clearance with the stock 2.6 27.5 tire. https://youtu.be/iukGno-KFyY
    Anyone know of a 2018 Spectral with 29ers?

edit:
    425 chainstays are probably too short for 29ers

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    Anyone know of a 2018 Spectral with 29ers?

edit:
    425 chainstays are probably too short for 29ers
    The 2018 Spectral has 430 mm chainstays. The new Kona Process 153 29 manages to fit 29" wheels with 425 mm chainstays. That's what gives me hope that you could maybe fit a 29" wheel in the back. It's totally dependent on how they designed the chain and seat stays.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Any word on when the Spectral CF 8.0 will actually be available? I check pretty frequently and they're still "coming soon"

mtbr member
    Very tempted to order one of these. Would love to hear some more feedback first though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    waiting to heaw on some sizing from other buyers too. standover is similar to my current ride but a 150mm dropper and that seat post may make the large my upper body wants too big for my relatively short legs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I ordered my Spectral CF 9.0 Pro - Size M on Tuesday and it got delivered on Thursday (I live in Norcal/Bay Area).

As expected, ordering and delivery was very smooth. I placed the order Thursday afternoon, got a phone call the next day to confirm my shipping address (I had it sent to where I work, they wanted confirmation if there will be someone to sign for the delivery). I got tracking information within minutes after the call.

The box it came in was huge. Assembly and setup was very easy and straight forward: Attach handlebar, insert dropper post, attach front wheel, done. Canyon provided all necessary tools in the box, including a very basic torque wrench.

I haven't had time to take it out for a real spin yet, but judging from a quick ride around the the parking lot at the office it seems to fit just about right. For reference: I am 5 ft 8 / 174 cm tall.

People with short legs beware: I have short legs and I have the dropper post slammed in the seat tube and it fits just about perfectly. If my legs were any shorter, I would either have to switch to a different dropper post with less travel or go with the smaller frame.

So far I am very happy with the purchase and can't wait to hit the trails.

If you're thinking about buying one, don't wait too long: Canyon tends to run out of stock fairly quickly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Congrats on the purchase of the CF 9 pro, good to see it fits. I'm almost the same size so medium looks like it will be ok. Be sure to post pics and a real world ride review.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Here are two pictures I took only minutes after I finished putting the bike together.

(I couldn't remove the reflectors since I didn't have a screwdriver with me at the time... and I'll remove that plastic guard behind the cassette soon)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are there any 2018 Spectral rumors-mvimg_20180216_181458-1024.jpg  

Are there any 2018 Spectral rumors-mvimg_20180216_181707-1024.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Very nice, I'm tossing up between the CF 9 pro or the CF 9. I like the rockshox pike and shock but not so crazy on the mavic wheels. I was interested in the bigger tyres on the DT swiss rims on the CF9. Anyway I'm extremely jealous, enjoy the new ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I wasn't sure about the wheels either (and am still not...). In the end I liked the slightly better components on the 9.0 Pro over the 8.0 and figured I'll give the wheels a chance. Worst case I'll just upgrade them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Very nice, I'm tossing up between the CF 9 pro or the CF 9. I like the rockshox pike and shock but not so crazy on the mavic wheels. I was interested in the bigger tyres on the DT swiss rims on the CF9. Anyway I'm extremely jealous, enjoy the new ride.
    I really wanted to get behind the Pro, but I couldn't get past the wheel set on the Pro. I really wanted the CF8 with full XT kit but they aren't going to be sold in the US.

At this point I'm looking at Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg and picking the components I want. Full XT, e13 cassette, DT1700 30mm rims, 160mm dropper, MRP Ribbon, Colorado companies and less then the a Pro.

Not poo-pooing Canyon. They are still great bikes. Just not looking like the right one for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That is very strange they don't sell the CF 8 in the US. I count myself lucky in Aust then, for me the CF 9 with the full xt and the fox fork and shock looks like the best value. I'm even looking at the CF 8 in Aust which has the rockshox gear (RC Pike instead of RCT3). Decisions decisions
    Last edited by Mickon64; 02-20-2018 at 08:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Canyon is not selling any Spectrals with Shimano components in the US. I am sure they have their reasons... but alas...

You can get the AL 6.0, CF 8.0, CF 9.0 Pro, SL and LTD (but not the plain 9.0).
    AL6, CF8 and CF9 Pro are SRAM/Rock Shox, SL and LTD are SRAM/Fox.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ehkrass View Post
    Canyon is not selling any Spectrals with Shimano components in the US. I am sure they have their reasons... but alas...

You can get the AL 6.0, CF 8.0, CF 9.0 Pro, SL and LTD (but not the plain 9.0).
    AL6, CF8 and CF9 Pro are SRAM/Rock Shox, SL and LTD are SRAM/Fox.
    When I called them about it, they said Sram was the most marketable I the US .... Meh .... It's the same with any large brand. It comes down to what is the most marketable. Everything one wants 12 speeds cuz it's the hot product.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I just got my 9.0 Pro today and did the initial set up(which was a breeze). I'll decide on if the Mavic wheels stay or go shortly. Bike overall looks and feels fantastic. Super playful and responsive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Do the Spectrals have a press-fit or threaded bb?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovespicyfood View Post
    Do the Spectrals have a press-fit or threaded bb?
    I think it's a press fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think it's a press fit.

Thank you. Not a fan of press fit. Bike is so tempting on so many levels though...

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovespicyfood View Post
    Thank you. Not a fan of press fit. Bike is so tempting on so many levels though...
    Agree 100000%

Threaded bottom brackets are far superior, but you are seeing less and less of them. I should caveat that with, if you actually right uphill. For people doing nothing but lifts access a press-fit is just fine. I'm not a big guy, but I can put enough torque into my cranks to creek a press fit bottom bracket.

Personally, I think it comes down to manufacturing. It's cheaper to put a press fit bottom bracket in than a threaded.

Canyon makes a great fight and the value almost can't be beat. That is, if you can deal with the caveat.

If you are looking for something with a threaded bottom bracket and are okay with an aluminum frame, check out Guerrilla gravity. Oddly enough, the weight of a gorilla gravity aluminum frame is almost the same as a canyon carbon frame. They do semi to full custom bike and the base builds are about the same as Canyon. the Guerrilla gravity base builds are pretty stellar and you can customize any of the components. You can even do off-menu customizations to their frames. Right now I'm looking at their Shred Dogg.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I personally wanted the top spec model but don't care for the black/gold color. I wish it was the stealth that the other models come in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Maybe they did the black and gold to match the black and gold on the kishima pay out of my backside coating Fox shocks

I'm sure they also found that black and gold is the pi-squared faster than just black

mtbr member
    That is very strange they don't sell the CF 8 in the US.
    https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/spe...ectral-cf-8-0#

What did I miss?

I'm very close to ordering a medium, but I did the sizing calculator on the web site and it started whining about my 31" inseam being inconsistently short with respect to my height, and suggested a small instead. I worry a small would be too small, but don't want a problem with the integrated seat post/dropper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [QUOTE=wgscott;13557495]https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/spe...ectral-cf-8-0#

What did I miss?

Sorry it is the CF9 they missed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post

What did I miss?

I'm very close to ordering a medium, but I did the sizing calculator on the web site and it started whining about my 31" inseam being inconsistently short with respect to my height, and suggested a small instead. I worry a small would be too small, but don't want a problem with the integrated seat post/dropper.
    I think that was my mistake. It's the CF9 that's not sold in the US. The 9 has XT and the XT bike aare not coming to the US.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Agree 100000%

Threaded bottom brackets are far superior, but you are seeing less and less of them. I should caveat that with, if you actually right uphill. For people doing nothing but lifts access a press-fit is just fine. I'm not a big guy, but I can put enough torque into my cranks to creek a press fit bottom bracket.

Personally, I think it comes down to manufacturing. It's cheaper to put a press fit bottom bracket in than a threaded.

Canyon makes a great fight and the value almost can't be beat. That is, if you can deal with the caveat.

If you are looking for something with a threaded bottom bracket and are okay with an aluminum frame, check out Guerrilla gravity. Oddly enough, the weight of a gorilla gravity aluminum frame is almost the same as a canyon carbon frame. They do semi to full custom bike and the base builds are about the same as Canyon. the Guerrilla gravity base builds are pretty stellar and you can customize any of the components. You can even do off-menu customizations to their frames. Right now I'm looking at their Shred Dogg.

Guerrilla Gravity looks interesting; thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    So, it looks like the seat height limit for the medium 8.0 is 702 mm. Mine is 705. I'm guessing that the 702 mm lower bound corresponds to the dropper post fully inserted but extended to 150 mm?

Edit: Decided to roll the dice, pull the trigger, and revel in the cliches.
    Last edited by wgscott; 02-25-2018 at 11:49 PM.

Mtn View, CA
    So, it looks like the seat height limit for the medium 8.0 is 702 mm. Mine is 705. I'm guessing that the 702 mm lower bound corresponds to the dropper post fully inserted but extended to 150 mm?

Edit: Decided to roll the dice, pull the trigger, and revel in the cliches.
    Is the seat height limit measured from the BB to the top of the seat? The geometry diagram doesn't look like it does.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

mtbr member
    I had to stare at it for awhile, but I convinced myself that the distance is between the center of the BB and the top of the saddle at the point of intersection with the line through the center of the seat tube.

BTW, you can slam the dropper post all the way into the frame, so it became a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Any feedback on the high front end height? Seems like the reviews I am reading all state this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

What did I miss?

31.5 inseam and 5'10 comes up with similar error and says normally I'd be on a large but recommends a medium. Trouble is the reach on a medium is shorter than my current bike, and with my disproportionately long torso that's no good. Current bike has 480mm seat tube and 125mm dropper. Canyon won't swap out the 150mm one on a large. Either go through the hassle of buying and selling droppers right away or look elsewhere. might end up back at plan A on a trek ex 8 - the 19.5 there seems to accommodate oddly sized folk like me
    Last edited by tubby74; 03-05-2018 at 09:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    Is the seat height limit measured from the BB to the top of the seat? The geometry diagram doesn't look like it does.
    I just confirmed this on my Bike. The "Saddle Height" minimum number is from center BB to top of the saddle with the seat post slammed into the frame and the dropper fully extended.

For the Medium Frame: Saddle Height (702mm) + Crank Length (175mm) = 877mm.

For reference, my inseam is ~810mm and with the Seat Post slammed it seems to fit just fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tubby74 View Post
    31.5 inseam and 5'10 comes up with similar error and says normally I'd be on a large but recommends a medium. Trouble is the reach on a medium is shorter than my current bike, and with my disproportionately long torso that's no good. Current bike has 480mm seat tube and 125mm dropper. Canyon won't swap out the 150mm one on a large. Either go through the hassle of buying and selling droppers right away or look elsewhere. might end up back at plan A on a trek ex 8 - the 19.5 there seems to accommodate oddly sized folk like me
    Canyons business model sadly doesn't support any customization. Their prices are great though, so swapping out a part or two afterwards still gets you a decent deal.

Besides Saddle Height, another thing to take into consideration is standover height.

We have about the same inseam. For me, the size M Frame has just about enough clearance from the Top Tube to the Family Jewels. The size L Frame adds another 20mm, taking that into potentially uncomfortable danger-close territory.

On the US Webpage they show the standover height in the diagram (K), but don't actually have the numbers in the Table. The German version webpage actually has the numbers listed as follows:

742 (S)
    763 (M)
    783 (L)
    797 (XL)

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Check out Guerrilla Gravity. Their Shred Dog in a medium travel 27.5 bike. They will make off menu changes to there frames. Each bike is made to order so it doesn't change the price much. I have read about people ordering a Med/Large. They make the bike with the seat & head tube from a medium and the top & down tube of a large.

Guerrilla Gravity
    http://ridegg.com/shreddogg

https://goo.gl/search/Guerrilla+Gravity+2031+Bryant+St
    Guerrilla Gravity
    2031 Bryant St
    (303) 955-4163

Not sure how techie you are but the still use a threaded bottom bracket

You can also swap components. For example, run a Sram drivetrain and XT breaks or all XT with an e13 9-46.

Personal I'm looking at the normal large shred dog Ride 1 kit and changing to: full XT, e13, DT1700 30mm, 150mm dropper and MRP Ribbon. The price from the online build tool is around 4k. It also gives you the total estimated weight. The weight was close to the canyon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm 5ft 11.5in with 31" inseam and just bought a L. The seat tube is listed 15mm shorter than my current bike and I run a 150mm dropper on that no problem. Also the reach is 7mm shorter with same length stem. Went through Canyon's sizing guide which said I should be on a small which is not right. I anticipate a good fit and will follow up when I get a ride on it.

Mtn View, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by ehkrass View Post
    I just confirmed this on my Bike. The "Saddle Height" minimum number is from center BB to top of the saddle with the seat post slammed into the frame and the dropper fully extended.

For the Medium Frame: Saddle Height (702mm) + Crank Length (175mm) = 877mm.

For reference, my inseam is ~810mm and with the Seat Post slammed it seems to fit just fine.
    Do you ride with the post not fully extended during seated climbing? Your numbers indicate that the post fully inserted and fully extended with crank length is longer than your inseam.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    Do you ride with the post not fully extended during seated climbing? Your numbers indicate that the post fully inserted and fully extended with crank length is longer than your inseam.
    I ride with the post fully extended.

I agree with you that on paper those numbers don't seem to match. (Canyons PPS starts complaining if the inseam drops below 800mm for Size M Frame)

In reality though, from the center-pedal-hole to the top of the saddle I measured closer to 865. Add the height of the pedal, the thickness of the shoes, the fact that my butt has more "padding" than necessary, arch drop, etc makes this *just* work for me so far.

Now granted: I can't tell you reliably right now how much I'm compensating by rotating the hips. I typically get lower back pain if the saddle is too high Thus far it *feels* fine, but haven't ridden the bike long enough to definitively tell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are there any 2018 Spectral rumors-mvimg_20180305_210145.jpg  

Are there any 2018 Spectral rumors-00010img_00010_burst20180305210211_cover.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Check out Guerrilla Gravity. Their Shred Dog in a medium travel 27.5 bike. They will make off menu changes to there frames. Each bike is made to order so it doesn't change the price much. I have read about people ordering a Med/Large. They make the bike with the seat & head tube from a medium and the top & down tube of a large.
    took a look at those bikes, looked at the bits I'd like to change, converted currency. Looks fantastic. Went to the Au distributor website where the 50% Australia tax is added. Sad panda.

Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    I'm 5ft 11.5in with 31" inseam and just bought a L. The seat tube is listed 15mm shorter than my current bike and I run a 150mm dropper on that no problem. Also the reach is 7mm shorter with same length stem. Went through Canyon's sizing guide which said I should be on a small which is not right. I anticipate a good fit and will follow up when I get a ride on it.
    it seriously said you should be on a small? will check back to see how you get on.

mtbr member
    Any feedback on the high front end height? Seems like the reviews I am reading all state this.
    It's not a race bike. Plus tires and huge stack will give confidence to less experienced riders, which is the targeted market for this bike.

mtbr member
    I anticipate a good fit and will follow up when I get a ride on it.
    Ride report with pics please