mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Four Broken Derailleur Hangers on my Spectral this year, WTF?

Does anyone else have a Spectral with issues like this? At first I thought it was bad luck but this is ridiculous. The only replacements I can get here in the US are made by Pilo, CNC machined from aluminum, and aside from being fragile they're like 40 bucks each. I can't see how anyone can use these hangers and get more than a couple months out of them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Isnít canyon now in the US? Why cant you order one from them?

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/accesso...=2729#id=38695

Iíve bent one on my Strive (same hanger I think) but only when I dropped the bike in a car park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just remembered when I bent mine it was ridiculous shipping through the website. Rang the office in Melbourne and they shipped direct with sensible cost

mtbr member
    It's not a hanger issue, it's a derailleur issue. I've seen this several times and every time it was a lower-end SRAM derailleur.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    If you follow that link you can't pick US to ship to. If you go to the US website they don't offer derailleur hangers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Four Broken Derailleur Hangers on my Spectral this year, WTF?-img_20171008_045609980_hdr.jpg

Four Broken Derailleur Hangers on my Spectral this year, WTF?-img_20171008_045449796.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonlespaulspecial View Post
    If you follow that link you can't pick US to ship to. If you go to the US website they don't offer derailleur hangers.
    Is there an office in the states?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171008_045609980_HDR.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	1161430

Name:	IMG_20171008_045449796.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	1161429
    Is the chain too tight? That would cause it

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    It's not a hanger issue, it's a derailleur issue. I've seen this several times and every time it was a lower-end SRAM derailleur.
    Assuming from the hanger this is a direct mount shimano derailleur

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    XT 10 speed for 3 of them and XT 11 speed for the most recent one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    [QUOTE=iggs;13369846]Is there an office in the states?

Yes but they don't sell small parts.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    You are either crashing a lot or your chain is too short.

If you are breaking hangers and not crashing add a link to you chain.

If you crashing then stop doing that.
    try these guys
    Replacement Derailleur Hangers

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    If you are breaking hangers and not crashing add a link to you chain.
    Hmm, even in the largest cog and the suspension fully compressed, the derailleur is not fully extended so I don't think the chain is too short. But hey, it's worth a try.

mtbr member
    What the heck! This needs looking into. Hangers do not just break. There has to be fundamental problem with the setup. Can you give us as much info as possible? Maybe pictures?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ok so for most of the year i was on XT 1 x 10, broke 3 hangers on it, then about 5 weeks ago i upgraded everything to XT 1 x 11. At the same time I upgraded I put on a new hanger which lasted till yesterday. I think I'll try riding with the clutch off and see how that goes...

Four Broken Derailleur Hangers on my Spectral this year, WTF?-img_20171008_161150310.jpg

Four Broken Derailleur Hangers on my Spectral this year, WTF?-img_20171008_161233948.jpg

Four Broken Derailleur Hangers on my Spectral this year, WTF?-img_20171008_161305402.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Four Broken Derailleur Hangers on my Spectral this year, WTF?-img_20171008_161233948.jpg  

mtbr member
    In the last picture that derailleur looks stretched out pretty tight. I'm not familiar with 1x10/1x11 systems but I would've thought it should be angled forward and up more at full tension. Is there a B-screw in there that's in pretty far?

mtbr member
    The US Canyon website needs some work. If you call their listed phone number they have access to more parts. I was able to order a hanger for my bike. $19 + $6 shipping. I didn't think that was bad for an OEM part.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I agree with @Mr Pig, that derailleur looks tight given no suspension extension. You may already do this but when you size your chain, use the Campy small/small method (smallest chainring to smallest cog) with enough tension on the lower cage to leave about a little finger's width between the upper jockey wheel and the chain beneath. I've never had any chain length issue on any road/MTB drivetrain using this method.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_L View Post
    The US Canyon website needs some work. If you call their listed phone number they have access to more parts. I was able to order a hanger for my bike. $19 + $6 shipping. I didn't think that was bad for an OEM part.
    That's awesome news! I'll try to order some today, thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rangersac View Post
    I agree with @Mr Pig, that derailleur looks tight given no suspension extension. You may already do this but when you size your chain, use the Campy small/small method (smallest chainring to smallest cog) with enough tension on the lower cage to leave about a little finger's width between the upper jockey wheel and the chain beneath. I've never had any chain length issue on any road/MTB drivetrain using this method.
    I've always used the method where you wrap the chain around the big ring(s) then add 1 link, but I can see where the campy method makes more sense, especially when the chain grows with suspension. I just ordered a new chain so I'll give that a try.

mtbr member
    I think if you make the chain longer it'll fix this but I still think something is not right with the angle of that derailleur.

MTB B'dos
    OP, with the new RDs to handle those big cogs with the new design they use, using that methodology isn't going to always work well. That Shimano RD is clearly very near or at it's limit, no matter if you can manually push it forward more, especially if you have the tension on the clutch cranked all the way - you do know you can easily adjust the new 11spd Shimano RDs clutch right, just unplug the little boot (similar to what's on the bleed nipple on a brake) and then use a 2mm allen key to adjust.

I would be willing to put $$ on a bet that once you install a new chain and increase the chain length, you will stop breaking hangers. If it were me, I would not go by how the RD is in the biggest cog, but how it is in the smallest cog, I would set it up so the derailleur is just providing tension to the chain and not just flapping about, then see how it looks when shifted to the biggest cog.

Did the bike come from the factory with the chain that length or did you shorten it? If it came from the factory like that, I'd have to let them know about it and what's transpired, if not, then chalk ti up to a learning experience as the hanger did it's job properly and broke instead of the RD.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So I sent an email to soshanger.com telling them of my sorrows, and they said I should be using hanger #26 not #27, despite the fact that #27 is listed as a Spectral part. Well it turns out that #26 is also listed in other places as a replacement. So I called Canyon USA, and they said that 26 is for SRAM and is hanger mount, 27 is for Shimano and is direct mount. So I have been using the right one but I was hoping for the opposite... Anyways, I ordered 2 more hangers for $44 total (much less painful than $80 from overseas) and they're authentic cast Canyon parts as opposed to CNC machined. Hopefully that makes a difference.

Thanks for all the help, it's nice to see some action in the Canyon forum for a change!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Four Broken Derailleur Hangers on my Spectral this year, WTF?

So I sent an email to soshanger.com telling them of my sorrows, and they said I should be using hanger #26 not #27, despite the fact that #27 is listed as a Spectral part. Well it turns out that #26 is also listed in other places as a replacement. So I called Canyon USA, and they said that 26 is for SRAM and is hanger mount, 27 is for Shimano and is direct mount. So I have been using the right one but I was hoping for the opposite... Anyways, I ordered 2 more hangers for $44 total (much less painful than $80 from overseas) and they're authentic cast Canyon parts as opposed to CNC machined. Hopefully that makes a difference.

Thanks for all the help, it's nice to see some action in the Canyon forum for a change!
    Incomplete info from SOS hanger. Glad Canyon US are being helpful.

On the question of chain length is the chain currently in the bike the one that came with it or did you replace it at some point?

Is it the same length as the one that originally came with the bike?

Is the drive train the same as the original spec?

I was thinking about this the other day and wondering what is the complete list of issues that can cause a broken hanger?

1- chain too short so comes under extreme tension when big big and suspension compression

2- something hits derailleur

3- chain snags on something

4- derailleur snags on something

1 seems most likely. If using manufacturer spec drive train as them for correct chain length.

If I install a new spec drive train I put the chain on big chain ring and big sprocket with all the air out of the shock and suspension compressed and add one link. This means I am measuring the actual problem scenario and adding in some contingency

It would be interesting to see a picture with the chain on the big sprocket and suspension fully compressed

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Another email from soshanger.com says shimano and sram can use the same hanger so long as you don't remove the adapter from the shimano derailleur. I really like the idea of using the other hanger 'cause the one I've been using has that long thin section that just looks like it's going to snap at the next fart.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Another email from soshanger.com says shimano and sram can use the same hanger so long as you don't remove the adapter from the shimano derailleur. I really like the idea of using the other hanger 'cause the one I've been using has that long thin section that just looks like it's going to snap at the next fart.
    The 26 is what I would describe as a standard mount. Shimano then use another little adaptor on their mechs to put it in the right place. The direct mount removes this extra link with the idea that it is stiffer, stronger and provides more precise shifting.

Moving away from direct mount wonít solve your problem. The problem isnít the robustness if the hanger itís what is causing it to break

Worth noting that hangers are designed as low cost replaceable failure points with the aim of protecting more expensive componentry (frame and derailleur). If the hanger wasnít snapping you would be spending a lot more dollars on this problem.

I always carry a spare hanger but, from memory, have only used one in the past 9 years

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Four Broken Derailleur Hangers on my Spectral this year, WTF?-img_20171009_163024114.jpg

Here's another view of the broken hanger, with a dime on top of it. As you can see, it's a pretty thin piece of aluminum and won't take much abuse. Now I'm sure I'm doing something wrong with the setup, but I've been doing the same thing with other bikes and no problems. Hopefully the longer chain will take care of it.

FYI, I bought the frame separately and built it up myself, first with 1x10 XT then 1x11 XT.

mtbr member
    Here's another view of the broken hanger, with a dime on top of it.
    That is a pretty weedy hanger.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Call them. I ordered one to have for a spare for my Exceed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ok here we go with the new chain, only took off 4 links. Also, I haven't been riding with the clutch lately. We'll see how this setup works!

Four Broken Derailleur Hangers on my Spectral this year, WTF?-img_20171014_091503859.jpg

Four Broken Derailleur Hangers on my Spectral this year, WTF?-img_20171014_091532990.jpg

MTB B'dos
    MUCH better I highly doubt you'll have any issues from now on and while it won't hurt anything, now with the chain longer, I would advise you use the clutch, just set it to a bit less tension.

Ok here we go with the new chain, only took off 4 links. Also, I haven't been riding with the clutch lately. We'll see how this setup works!

Name:	IMG_20171014_091532990.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	1162331

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I hope you're right. I just checked out my buddy's new Rocky Mountain Pipeline and his derailleur extends more than mine did with the old chain and his hanger is much more robust than mine. I've shown a few people my broken hangers and they're stunned at how thin they are. I'm betting that eventually I'll be switching to the more robust #26 hanger with the standard (non-direct) mounting option.

MTB B'dos
    No doubt it is a skinny one, reminds me of a few from years ago, just had to look at them wrong and it seemed they'd bend If you have the option to go to a stronger hanger option, then I guess I'd give it a go, but the learning curve could be much steeper, i.e. a broken derailleur instead of hanger

I hope you're right. I just checked out my buddy's new Rocky Mountain Pipeline and his derailleur extends more than mine did with the old chain and his hanger is much more robust than mine. I've shown a few people my broken hangers and they're stunned at how thin they are. I'm betting that eventually I'll be switching to the more robust #26 hanger with the standard (non-direct) mounting option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well I got my true Canyon hangers yesterday, and they certainly look to be more robust than the ones made by Pilo (before Canyon arrived in the US I could only get Pilo hangers). I've got my last Pilo hanger on my bike now with the longer chain and lesser clutch tension so we'll see how that works out, if/when it breaks I'll replace it with the Canyon hanger.

Every Pilo hanger I've broken (4 this year + 1 last year) has been due to gradual fatigue--never a crash or rock strike or anything else that would have damaged the actual derailleur.
    Last edited by gibsonlespaulspecial; 10-18-2017 at 08:32 AM.