mtbr member

Canyon usa. anyone buy?

Tried ordering a spectral the other day. order went through. Pending charge on my credit card. No email for a week so I finally called and they had a problem on their end. and ofcourse the bike I ordered was now sold out.

Their Rollout into the US has been very poor. First it was spring, then it was September, but with all the 2018 models (allegedly), now its September and they brought very few models and low quantity. Only 2018 strive is what I saw. I waited this whole time. pretty bummed. I bet now that mondraker announced US market, they will have all their models available first.

mtbr member
    I ordered an exceed yesterday at 1245 pst. It's in my garage ready to ride right now. I was also happy to see at least one manufacturer is still including a shock pump with their bikes. The transaction was seamless and the person I spoke with was friendly and knowledgeable. Sorry your experience differed from mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I had a good experience recently ordering a Strive 7.0, so I guess it depends on what they have in stock. I called in to place my order on a Wednesday morning, and it was delivered Thursday late afternoon. I'm in Southern California, so FedEx got it to me quickly from the Canyon warehouse in Chino. But it seems that anything they have in stock will ship out the same day if ordered before noon, the next day if ordered after noon.

Merendon Junkie
    I was somewhat excited about Canyon being available in the US as I will soon be looking for a mid travel bike. I was utterly disappointed when I looked through their models and they all used pressfit bbs. That's a total no go for me after my previous ordeal with them. What a shame, prices look decent and I like how their bikes look.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    I was somewhat excited about Canyon being available in the US as I will soon be looking for a mid travel bike. I was utterly disappointed when I looked through their models and they all used pressfit bbs. That's a total no go for me after my previous ordeal with them. What a shame, prices look decent and I like how their bikes look.
    What was your ordeal all about? Presumably something to do with a press fit bottom bracket? I don't know about any of their other models, but the Strive CF uses threaded.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    Praxis and problem solvers both make a press fit to threaded conversion the eliminates all of the press fit issues. I have the problem solvers kit on 2 bikes and won't hesitate to put another on my new exceed

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalifly View Post
    What was your ordeal all about? Presumably something to do with a press fit bottom bracket? I don't know about any of their other models, but the Strive CF uses threaded.
    Yes the ordeal was with a press fit bb on a trek superfly that I owned for a brief time. I just could not get it to shut up. The creaking was sucking the enjoyment out of my rides with that bike. Thought maybe it was an isolated case but after reading around, found out I was not alone.

mtbr member
    I want a Spectral CF 9 and none on their site except small are available. Come on Canyon!
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    May 2008

Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by Little_twin View Post
    I ordered an exceed yesterday at 1245 pst. It's in my garage ready to ride right now. I was also happy to see at least one manufacturer is still including a shock pump with their bikes. The transaction was seamless and the person I spoke with was friendly and knowledgeable. Sorry your experience differed from mine.
    Ready to pull the trigger on a new hardtail and was thinking about the Canyon or Niner. What are your impressions so far on the Exceed?? Seems like the most bang for the buck....also, are you in SoCal to get it so quick??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aminkman View Post
    Ready to pull the trigger on a new hardtail and was thinking about the Canyon or Niner. What are your impressions so far on the Exceed?? Seems like the most bang for the buck....also, are you in SoCal to get it so quick??
    The bike is great. I don't think there is a better value out there. I have 40 miles on it so far with no complaints. It's is fast yet still quite comfortable. I did a 30 mile ride with 4K of climbing on my local trails over the weekend and set plenty of PR's on climbs and surprisingly a few PR's on downhill segments too. I did change a few parts right away but the price allowed me to do it without guilt. I swapped the seat for my regular WTB Silverado, had to buy valve stems to convert to tubeless but the rims were already taped, and upgraded the dt freehub to a 54t ratchet. I also had a Thomson seatpost sitting in my tool box from a previous bike so I put that on.

I am in Northern California.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the report! I'm really looking forward to a slacker hardtail. Did you pay for faster shipping or are they next day in Ca.? I'm in SoCal. What does it cost to upgrade the hub? I'm not familiar DT's. My current hardtail is a '14 Giant XTC, very steep HA. Wheels are Stans Crest w/Hope hubs. Probably gonna pull the trigger tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    It sounds like noon is their cutoff, so if you order before noon, it will go out that afternoon, otherwise it will go out the next day. FedEx *should* get it to you the following day if you're in Southern California, though I don't think that's a guarantee. I doubt it's worth it to pay extra for faster shipping to SoCal.

The DT Swiss hub upgrade is $110 on jenson at full price, so get a 15% coupon code and it will be less than $95. It's absurdly easy to install yourself.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalifly View Post
    It sounds like noon is their cutoff, so if you order before noon, it will go out that afternoon, otherwise it will go out the next day. FedEx *should* get it to you the following day if you're in Southern California, though I don't think that's a guarantee. I doubt it's worth it to pay extra for faster shipping to SoCal.

The DT Swiss hub upgrade is $110 on jenson at full price, so get a 15% coupon code and it will be less than $95. It's absurdly easy to install yourself.
    Thanks, I'll check out Jensons, if I can get the bike. The website is showing no prices now. Can't add anything to the cart??

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ya. I went looking for a spectral cf9.0 ex but no stock in either color of any size. Such a Shame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Djg24 View Post
    Ya. I went looking for a spectral cf9.0 ex but no stock in either color of any size. Such a Shame.
    Ya I'll probably end up with a 2018 Bronson C S build if they don't become available soon.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got mine today at about 2:30. All ready for tomorrow. 22 pounds w/XT pedals, carbon post and seat, and tubeless set up. I'll call them tomorrow to see if I can get a blank cover where the dropper cable enters the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aminkman View Post
    Got mine today at about 2:30. All ready for tomorrow. 22 pounds w/XT pedals, carbon post and seat, and tubeless set up. I'll call them tomorrow to see if I can get a blank cover where the dropper cable enters the frame.
    Congrats! Let us know how it rides.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Did 4 hours on the Exceed this morning. Bike is awesome! It delivered exactly what I was looking for. It replaced a 2013 Giant XTC Composite w / 71 1/2 degree H.A. This bike is extremely stable and comfortable. It's very stiff but also very compliant. The fork is awesome. I had a Pike on a SC 5010 and a Yari on a Stache. I liked the action of the forks but didn't like that they couldn't lock out. Wheels are very stiff and really roll fast. I'll probably change the tires to Thunder Burts. I never liked the ergos or the push - push of Sram stuff. I'm kinda liking the Grip Shift--very short throw, just have to get used to twisting instead of thumbs. Eagle was trouble free, clean shifting. I like it!!https://www.strava.com/activities/1206305692
    Last edited by aminkman; 09-28-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: add photo

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I ordered a Strive CF 8.0 on a Saturday morning and had it in SC by Friday morning. The Ordering process was brilliantly simple. On Monday, they called me to see if Hurricane Irma was a problem for delivery or not. I said - send it! The system generated email messages for shipping orders may have a technical glitch, but there customer service is prompt on simple issues like that. And with a follow up email they sent me tracking information. Thanks to YT and Canyon for tilting the scales in the favor of the consumer.

mtbr member
    Been on that site for 48 hours wondering wether to pull the trigger or not. Then noticed they only have the Spectral 8 EX in small only....doh!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Does anyone have any info on when Canyon plans to have Spectral bikes in the USA?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Djg24 View Post
    Does anyone have any info on when Canyon plans to have Spectral bikes in the USA?
    I hope so!! Here's an email response I got from them..

For your questions regarding going to Chino to test ride our bikes, our Chino facility is only a warehouse and dose not have any bikes to demo.

We will have a Show room to visit and test ride bikes in the San Diego County but are not projected to have this facility done till the beginning of next year.

All the best,

Isaac

mtbr member
    That's it 2018 Transition Scout GX build it is! Really liking what I'm reading about forward geometry and supporting a small innovative company.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That's a pretty good call noose. My next choice is now looking like a scout or patrol. Sorry Canyon, I tried.

mtbr member
    Ok guys, latest word is that they're sold out of the 2017 Spectral bikes and that the 2018 would not be in till March...dam it!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yikes. Seems like they picked the worst time possible to enter the US Market.

mtbr member
    yea they botched this whole coming to the US thing. mondraker announced they will be available in the states by march a couple weeks ago. so my bet is they have more product here before canyon, in less time.

mtbr member
    Haven't seen the Lux yet. Probably 2018 in March as well? Does anyone know if they will be Boost? No specs on the site, and the Canyon rep said they will have details closer to the 2018 launch. Not very helpful.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'm waiting for the new lux over two weeks. the xr1501 axis is not boost.
    Rear 12*142 and front 15*100