mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Are you happy with your Rush?

I've been thinking of switching from a Scalpel to a Rush for a while now. I know it won't be quite as fast as the Scalpel, but I want a bit more travel. Is the Rush a relatively quick bike? I've ridden around on one but haven't been able to really test it out. A friend of mine, whose opinion I trust and who is very Pro Cannondale, said it felt slow to him. I'm interested in the opinion of people who have had a lot of ride time on the Rush under their belt-Thanks

mad aussie
    I have both an alloy Rush and now a Scalpel. If you want to race I think the Scalpel is faster in most conditions, but the Rush is actually deceptively fast. I think with the linear shock and slacker geometry it feels slower, and it is over a pound heavier, but I had a few race wins over the marathon distance with the bike.
    I have recently had a chance to spend some time on a Carbon Rush Team and that bike feels much faster than the alloy for some reason. I doubt it would be measurably faster but it certainly "feels" faster.
    The one area where the Rush has a definite advantage over the Scalpel is pedalling over larger extended rocky sections where it simply seems to hold its speed and not get caught up like its shorter travel brother.
    Having said that being the weight weenie I am it will be hard to put aside a 24lb Scalpel and get myself to race on the 27lb Rush, I will probably keep the Rush for trail riding and trips to Moab etc.

Kevin

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Beign an owner of both a Scalpel 3000 and Rush 3000 I'd have to say that there is very little between the two.
    SCalpel feels more lively but I hav found the Rush to be just as quick around the same course of the same day with the same tyres despite being 400gr heavier.
    The Rush is a little less happy on the climbs but it Rushes the singletrack and descents.

If you could own two bike, i'd go for a Taurine and a Rush.
    If yuocould own one bike, the the Rush is all you need.

I just don;t see a need for Scalepl in my shed anylonger. Rush is that good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks, yeah I'm looking for one bike that will be good for all trail type conditions, my racing days are behind me. I can't really afford to have multiple Mtn bikes right now.

mad aussie
    If you arent racing then I would certainly suggest the Rush. If you can at all afford it, sell a kidney etc then try to get the Carbon. At first I wasnt impressed, but the bike I tried wasnt set up correctly. I had a chance to spend some more time on a Team Carbon and it was a very fast feeling bike.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I had last years Rush 3000, which amazed me every time again, and offered me an awfull lotta fun. This bike just made it easy to climb or descent on technical tracks. Till Cannondale decided to launch a carbon version. Hmm, made me a bit furious at first, but thanks to my LBS, I am now a proud owner of a carbon Rush. Must say it is a hughe difference ! The geometry of the carbon is a bit different from the alloy version, shorter wheelbase, lighter, stiffer, ... it just feels much better, and sure is much quicker.
    In the review reports of the alloy Rush, I've read many times that the Rush was perfect for long distances, but missed the speed or speedy feeling. This is very different with my carbon version. It accelerates very easy, Lefty SL is just super, full lockable front and rear suspension. It's a dream bike to me, and it rides like a dream.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have last years Rush 3000 equivalent build - and absolutely love it. I use it for everything. It is light enough, yet has enough travel to get off the smooth trails The geometry works great for me. I imagine the Carbon Rush is an order of magnitude better tho

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd absolutely love my Rush 800, if only it didn't have some mechanical problem every other ride that requires being taken to the shop for a week or more waiting for warranty repairs. As far as riding goes, from the little that I've done with it, it is definitely one of the best handling overall bikes I've ever ridden, very comfortable yet fast at the same time. The only FS MTB I've ever ridden that performed even close was the Rocky Mountain ETSX. I must say, though, that the Prophet does have some advantages in some areas.

mtbr member
    Coming from a Jekyll , the only thing that bugs me about my Rush is the lower
    bottom bracket .
    Not only do I hit things that I use to clear on the Jekyll but I ocassionally hit my
    pedals on rocks and the odd root .
    This has caused my Shimano 959's to lose the backer plate for the tension screw .
    Happened twice last season and what this does is render one side of the pedal useless
    (non clipable) .
    Not only did I have to wait for parts to come in (not stocked) but they're a PIA to put in .

This year I said screw it and got some Egg Beaters .

Other then this , LOVE the Rush .
    Last edited by ccaddy; 05-20-2007 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I went from a Seven Teres, tried a Scalpel and ended up with a Rush Team, which Cannondale replaced with a Carbon Rush Team. The Scalpel was very similar to the Teres, but I found the Rush felt faster than both. The Carbon Rush is better than either. I find myself two cogs higher than the other bikes on the Carbon. It is comfortable, so for longer rides I have more energy towards the end. It climbs great. The only place where the Seven and the Scalpel have an advantage is tight turns, where the long wheelbase on the Rush makes it slightly more awkward. It is still a quick bike, though, and the best overall bike I have ever ridden,

MBAficionado
    May 2007
    Coming off a Full-Dynamix carbon-rear HT to a F600SL HT to finally a Yr2007 Rush 6, i'm not missing the HTs!

With 20 yrs of road racing background, i was looking for some marathon distance, fun riding off-road. Considered the SC Superlight as i want only single-pivot design, Rush 6 has proven to be exceptional except the weight issue. Thumbs up to the adrenalin Rush!