mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Yet another Lefty Question,.. HELP??

I have a 2008 DLR2 Speed Bonded 80/110 (29ers have the spacers). I have the damper apart and the rebuild is going nicely. I'm wondering how the top cap comes off the shaft? I see that the cap has a 9mm hex in it and I have the hex key to fit in addition to the 1/2in clamp (Cannondale part). So, how do I get that blasted shaft apart? I'd like to replace the top cap seals while I'm in there and that's the last part I can't seem to get apart to fix.

HELP!,.. anyone,..

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Here's how the upper shaft looks when removed from the bottom part of the damper shaft. I need to remove either the top or the bottom to unload the shaft and replace the seal inside the top cap. The top cap has a 9mm hex in it and I have the key. I also have the 1/2 inch Cannondale clamp tool and a vice,.. but it doesn't want to budge!

The top cap is on the shaft right there in the middle. There is an inner seal which needs to be renewed while it's apart.

Here's the shaft layout. it is a 29er so there are three spacers:
    IMG_0485

Here's the 9mm hex key in the top hole:
    ]IMG_0488

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm shocked that nobody knows this.

I put the damper back together and put is back in the bike. Damping works like new! I only hope the top cap doesn't leak.

If anyone knows how to get this top shaft apart I would be grateful of the knowledge.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I thought you simply slide the seal down and off the shaft, and reverse this for the new seal. I dont think it is necessary to remove the shaft altogether

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    in order to get the top damper cap off you need to remove one of the two ends. The brass end is compression valve and lockout and the second is the black top part. One needs to come off in order to unload the shaft and replace the seal on the inside of the white cap. I'm not sure how to get this thing apart,.. I am sure I'll be into my Lefty damper again so I'd like to be able to replace that seal if possible w/o damaging the ends or the shaft.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    OK i see now. I was thinking of the outer seal, not the seal inside the cap. my mistake.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The black top cap is pressed onto the upper shaft. It is not to come off. The gold piston is threaded onto the end of the upper shaft. The threads had red loctite on them. You need a set of shaft clamps to hold the piston in a vice.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshok'r
    The black top cap is pressed onto the upper shaft. It is not to come off. The gold piston is threaded onto the end of the upper shaft. The threads had red loctite on them. You need a set of shaft clamps to hold the piston in a vice.
    excellent! That is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you so much! I have the 1/2 in shaft clamp already, is there a good way to get the brass valve off the end w/o damaging it?