mtbr member

Yes another Left Question

I have searched and searched I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere...

I have a Left Max 140 with TPC kit on my prophet.

My problem is when I come off of a drop or just over something etc. I get a noise that sounds like the spring is compressing then bouncing back (kinda like a boing noise).

Edited: I should ad the noise is on the rebound.

This just started recently. It has almost made me afraid to ride it.

I have reset the bearings, changed the fluid etc. I changed my spring out from a black to brown now back to black. Still no change!

Does anybody have any suggestions????
    Last edited by Miggs70; 10-28-2007 at 08:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It could just be the spring hitting the inside of the upper fork when it compresses/rebounds.

The springs come with rubber sleaving to help reduce this noise. Perhaps your's has moved/come off?

LA CHÈVRE
    Weird, it sounds exactly like when you need a reset... Maybe reset them again, perhaps it was not completely done the last time you did it. On SPV Lefties, it can also do a clicking noise when the SPV pressure is too low but you have a TPC.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Drink...sleep
    I had this problem as well a long time ago when switching around springs. Turned out the spring wasn't seated 100%. Had to turn the spring around (as in upside down, with the shrinkwrap on the bottom) for it to go away. With the shrinkwrap at the top, just couldn't get it to seat correctly, resulting in the cloinking noise you described. So you might want to try that.

Btw, may be too obvious, but there is enough preload on the spring?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The other common one is taking the spring, and rotating it 45 degrees, check it, still noisy? Rotate another 45 check it. Often the spring has a particular "home" it want to be in, go figure. Hey, it's free to try, ya know?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I was wondering if maybe it was the spring hitting the side of the fork because of the rubber sleave placement but it happens with two different springs.

I tried the bearing reset again, to no change. As far as preload I think I have plenty. Especially with the black spring as I am well in the Clyde area.

I swapped out the black for the brown again yesterday and went for a quick ride. The noise seemed to go away,

So maybe it is just spring position? It is definitely a scary noise after my fat a$$ comes off a drop though!!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggs70
    So maybe it is just spring position?
    That'd be where the smart money goes
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com