Ridin' many miles...

Year 2000 Lefty DLR: Any common issues?

I'm buying a bike with a year 2000 Lefty DLR (100mm) and am wondering if this shock has any well known problems I should be aware of. I think 2000 is the year that the Lefty was introduced so it may have the 1.0 syndrome.

I've been told by the seller that it has been serviced twice: Once for a seal recall by C'dale, and once because all the air was bled out and I guess that's a problem.

So can anyone pass along any wisdom about this shock/fork (whatever)?

• Can it be upgraded?
    • What are the upgrades?
    • Does it need servicing often?
    • Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Ed
    Ride dangerously. Take chances.

I ride therefore I am.

Wink Upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by EdZilla
    I'm buying a bike with a year 2000 Lefty DLR (100mm) and am wondering if this shock has any well known problems I should be aware of. I think 2000 is the year that the Lefty was introduced so it may have the 1.0 syndrome.

I've been told by the seller that it has been serviced twice: Once for a seal recall by C'dale, and once because all the air was bled out and I guess that's a problem.

• Can it be upgraded?
    • What are the upgrades?
    • Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Ed
    Hey EdZ,
    I recently purchased a 2000 DLR for $200 with the intent of removing the cartridges to install in a 2004 Carbon Lefty shell I had bought for $200 also. $400 for a Carbon fiber Lefty what a deal right!
    Took everything to my LBS and found out that the 2000 cartridges will only fit the 2000 Lefty. Seems in 2001 Cannondale had changed the design a little due to some problems they were having with the 2000 design. I'm not sure what the problems were. The fork (2000) I have has just been rebuilt by C'dale but doesn't seem to be as smooth as the other (5, all 2001>) Lefty's I have owned, maybe this fork only.
    I know that you can find a 2001+ Lefty DLR titanium on eBay for about $400+ and sell the 2000 Lefty for about $200-$250.
    I don't know exactly what type of riding you do but the Lefty Max TPC+ is an awesome fork for your frame.
    I know I've posted to you in the past about the combination of the Lefty MAX TPC+ and the Manitou spv 3-way in the '03-04 Jekyll frames is the best combo I have ever rode.
    A Lefty MAX TPC+ will run about 600+ on ebay.

By the way my LBS did me right and I got the internals cartridge for about $270 installed in the Carbon shell. Rode it on my SOBE Team Scalpel yesterday what an incredible fork.

I hope someone has better news than I did!

If you know of any body looking for a 2000 DLR I will be posting one for sale on ebay shortly under my seller ID dlgone.

Hey EdZ have you posted picts of the new bike yet?
    Last edited by jekyllman; 09-03-2004 at 10:57 AM.

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyllman
    Hey EdZ have you posted picts of the new bike yet?
    Not yet. Bike's in the mail....

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyllman
    Hey EdZ,
    I recently purchased a 2000 DLR for $200 with the intent of removing the cartridges to install in a 2004 Carbon Lefty shell I had bought for $200 also. $400 for a Carbon fiber Lefty what a deal right!
    Took everything to my LBS and found out that the 2000 cartridges will only fit the 2000 Lefty. Seems in 2001 Cannondale had changed the design a little due to some problems they were having with the 2000 design. I'm not sure what the problems were. The fork (2000) I have has just been rebuilt by C'dale but doesn't seem to be as smooth as the other (5, all 2001>) Lefty's I have owned, maybe this fork only.
    I know that you can find a 2001+ Lefty DLR titanium on eBay for about $400+ and sell the 2000 Lefty for about $200-$250.
    I don't know exactly what type of riding you do but the Lefty Max TPC+ is an awesome fork for your frame.
    I know I've posted to you in the past about the combination of the Lefty MAX TPC+ and the Manitou spv 3-way in the '03-04 Jekyll frames is the best combo I have ever rode.
    A Lefty MAX TPC+ will run about 600+ on ebay.
    If I can sell the 2000 DLR and get another, newer year one I'll do it. I may be asking for your advice if you don't mind.

The type of riding I do is aggressive XC on some very steep rocky terrain. I'm a big climber mainly because the terrain around here requires you to climb it first before you ride down (unless you shuttle, which I don't) One thing I'm concerned about is that the new bike is a bit on the heavy side (Sun Rhyno lite rims) but I'm hoping that I can put on some lighter wheels and bring things down a bit. I'd like the bike to be around 26 or 27lbs. What I'm really hoping is that the new Lefty proves to handle and soak up the tricky stuff and that the fox propedal proves to be more efficient when pedeling and climbing.

I ride therefore I am.
    If I can sell the 2000 DLR and get another, newer year one I'll do it. I may be asking for your advice if you don't mind.

The type of riding I do is aggressive XC on some very steep rocky terrain. I'm a big climber mainly because the terrain around here requires you to climb it first before you ride down (unless you shuttle, which I don't) One thing I'm concerned about is that the new bike is a bit on the heavy side (Sun Rhyno lite rims) but I'm hoping that I can put on some lighter wheels and bring things down a bit. I'd like the bike to be around 26 or 27lbs. What I'm really hoping is that the new Lefty proves to handle and soak up the tricky stuff and that the fox propedal proves to be more efficient when pedeling and climbing.
    No problem on the advise just ask and if I know the answer I'm more than happy to help.

26 - 27lbs is very do-able on a Jekyll. My current set-up is about 26.6 but I had my 2001 w/ Lefty ELO and full XTR, marta SL's, Carbon fiber bars & post at less than 25lbs.

I use the Scalpel on straightout fast XC courses w/long climbs. I train on my road bike and for the rare occasions when I get back to Wyoming I ride my Gemini. The Jekyll however is by far the funnest bike own or I have ever owned. If I could only have one bike it would be the Jekyll, I may change my mind once I ride the new Prophet 4000 next week. Wonder how long it will be before someone sells one of those bad boys on ebay?
    "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."
    Groucho Marx.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

• Can it be upgraded?
    • What are the upgrades?
    • Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Ed
    Very Well damped fork. Whatever, You can fine tune the shim stack yourself if you want. Tow problems, but specific to all lefty and more to all the headshocks: when the suspension is working up and down, the bearings get down and you can hear clicking when the fork is topping-out. You have to periodically get the fork dismounted and to replace the bearings up, in their right place. If you want to get eight inches rotor or if you spend your time mostly downhilling with ard braking, you'll get a problem.The clips which retains the bearing races contacts the stanchion during hard braking and scratches it