mtbr member
    Sep 2004

XTR e-type front mech on Prophet- Incompatible?

This is a problem that has been bugging me for months. Basically I have a 2005 Prophet which came with an LX front mech. I bent it, and the only mech that they had in the shop (last year, that is) was an XTR.... so they fitted it. I believe it was 2006 model.

It never worked properly... could get it working well on the track stand, but as soon as it was under pressue it would give either middle + large ring OR granny + middle, depending on how it was adjusted.

Took it into a bike shop AGAIN today... and they told me that the cage was too far from the large ring, and thus could not lift it up effectively. I took a look and it looked right.. but the mech was already in the "low" position. Is there anything to do to bring it further down.. ie. adjust so it works.. or is it simply incompatible.

If it is simply incompatible, do I have to replace it with an XT or LX... as are speced on the current bikes... will they work?

Seems odd that LX & XT would work, but XTR not>

Am I missing some adjustments?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Prophet E-type is set up differently than suggested in the Shimano instructions. Check out: http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...p_guide_en.pdf

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks... tried that already/// did not seem to wrk... any other thoughts?

LA CHÈVRE
    Didn't the XTR e-type have a different spacing than the XT and LX? I think it wasn't compatible with the 2005 XTR e-type but I don't know about the latest generation XTR...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    That may be the problem... quite possible that the mech is a 2005 XTR... in which case only solution is to change it. As far as anyone knows.... are the current Prophet frames identical in this respect to the 2005 model year; and are the mechs fitted "standard" e-types.... i.e. if I bought (another) new mech, would it work?

LA CHÈVRE
    The frames haven't changed and they are not spec'ed with custom e-types mounts... they are regular units. Good thing is, you can mayby sell the XTR at a higher price than a XT will cost you...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    i have an 04 XTR e type on my Prophet, it works flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    So it is not the mech itself...

I have looked very carefully, and think the small spacer where the mech screws into the down tube is missing... guess this will change the angle enough to make prevent the mech workng as it should...

Do you know where to get replacements from... are they supplied with the mech, the frame, (the BB?) or simply generic?

Thanks for all the comments so far... it has been an immensly frustrating problem over the last god-knows-how-long which two bike shops have failed to resolve...