mtbr member
    Mar 2005

XTR drivetrain replacement

Hi all,

I asked for a bushing replacement and the technician checked the wear of my chain. He suggested me to replace it, so I asked him to put the same thing, XTR 9 speed chain. I left to let him work and he called me later saying that I have to replace the cassette, chain and chain ring because the new chain causes chainsuck. Is it a normal issue? I don't feel like replacing the whole thing, specially when the cassette and chainring aren't that used. Normal wear, of course, but I never experienced issues with my drivetrain.

Also, totally different issue, at higher speed, when I ride no handed, I experience huge tank slapping effect. It handlebar starts to wiggle and shakes the whole bike. I have to regain control to avoid a nasty crash. Is there something out of balance?

Any idea?

Twon

LA CHÈVRE
    Issue 1: all drivetrain components wear out with each other, chain, cogs, chainrings. It's very possible that a new chain on your old parts will not work great. You can manage to just change your chain if the rest is new, if the chain wasn't too old either. Installing a new chain only with your 'no issue' drivetrain might make issues appear. So either change everything or keep everything until problems appear. I never check for chainwear, I ride the same drivetrain until I have problems so maybe you should keep the old chain.

Issue 2: ride with your hands on the handlebars.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 06-13-2005 at 02:15 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    What's gonna happend if I don't raise my arm while crossing the finish line first

LA CHÈVRE
    You mean you don't have the time to get off the bike, lift it over your head and scream as you cross the finish line?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    One thing worth pointing out here is that most folks tend to ride in a few favorite gears, most of the time. That said, your middle ring is probably beat, small ring is a good bet too, but the larger they are, the slower they wear. So your big is probably fine. Same thing with the cassette. If you have the time, inclination and an understanding tech,put on a new chain, and ride it up a good hill, under load. Change out what needs it, as indicated by skipping and hopping in the particular gear, and leave the rest. The outer cogs on a cassette are individual, and can be sourced one by one. Why pay for replacing everything, just because some components are worn. I will admit, it is easier to base line the whole thing, and start fresh, but most of the time you are spending alot more money, and throwing out perfectly good stuff, all in the name of a dead middle, small ring, 12T and 11T cogs. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!