mtbr member
    May 2007

XC racing with a Prophet SL?

Hey guys,

Just wondered if anyone uses a Prophet / Prophet SL for racing? Or is it too heavy?

I purchased a Prophet SL a while back with the intention of turning it into a lightweight trail / xc bike, and i'm only now getting the parts together.

Thought that if i could get the weight down (sub 25lbs) then i could use it to race.

Is this a pipe dream?

Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    i know that theres a couple people on this forum who race their prophet. Im sure you do fine racing it too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    below 25lbs might be a very expensive endeavor, but I'd definitely say it's raceable.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks guys.

And also for the word of warning - I am beginning to realise now that it's an expensive endeavour.

The only substantial addition outstanding is wheels, and i should be there or thereabouts (hopefully).

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfriday
    intention of turning it into a lightweight trail / xc bike, and i'm only now getting the parts together.
    Exactly what I tought about, too. I couldnīt find much info on the SL, does it have a shorter shock than the 140mm travel version, and does that also mean a lower bottom bracket?
    Any SL owners that could measure their bb heights (and with what tires)?

mtbr member
    Why would you?
    The prophet is not ment for XC racing.
    It could be made that way, but why would you?

A decent hard tail would do the same job with half the cost, and you'll still have the prophet for trails, single track and harder stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I don't actually have enough space at home for another bike, so purchasing a hardtail is beyond my means at the moment in that sense. Unfortunately.

I appreciate that the Prophet isn't intended as a xc bike, but it does have the option of xc geometry and the SL version is a little racier with only 120mm of travel (front and rear).

I am not hoping to race properly at any advanced level, but just wanted a lightweight trail bike that would pass as an xc one for entering the odd race. It will be essentially a trail bike for me though, and i am making sure that i don't compromise that with xc weight fascinations.

As stock, it copes just fine but i think upgrading the shock (Fox F120), cranks and drivetrain (Xtr) will certainly add to it's all round performance (xc and trail/singletrack).

Or at least i hope it does!