mtbr member
    May 2006

X3 Swinger vs float rp23 for prophet

hello. I want to change the radium rl shock on my prophet and I cant decide between this 2 shocks. Im more interested in the descending - jumping performance part of the shock. any other shock suggestions. thanks.

bernardo

mnt bike laws of physics
    Hello Bernardo, I have used both and find the X3 to have superior damping. The 4 way damping adjuster goes from fairly plush to stiff. The plush setting is more plush than the Fox with no Pro-Pedal.

I would think that the DT Swiss XE 200 would also be a great shock because it has the same damping technology as the Manitou, but also can be set to no SPV which would be very cush.
    I have not tried it yet, but the technology is very sweet. It has a hydralic damper adjuster, so there is no air for the SPV. It is also supposed to be a more linear shock.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I like to ride my bike.
    I have found the Propedal in Fox rear shocks to have poor small bump compliance on the downhills. I had a Manitou Swinger X3 / 3-Way and it had better decending qualities than my coil, Fox propedal shock. The RP3 that I own is even worse on the downhills. In addition, I used to wheelie-drop 5 feet to flat with my Manitou, running about 30% sag, and only from time to time did I bottom-out. I miss my Manitou and highly regret selling it.

So, I'd say the Manitou.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog