mtbr member
    Dec 2003

X-C upgrades to a jekyll 500

What would be some good upgrades that I can make (now that I have a buttload of money from christmas) to a 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 500 to make it more cross country specific?

mtbr member
    changing out the fork to anything lighter with shorter travel would kinda negate even having a jekyll as it seems to be a tough xc/trail bike so there really isn't much you could do there. maybe get a manitou minute front since it seems to be a really light long travel fork and a ton of people seem to like them. getting a stable platform rear would surely help the bob i've found when test riding jekylls. if you want to keep you brakes the same then maybe find a cheap v specific wheel set, that would cut down on some weight and rolling mass. you could always change the bar/seatpost/seat to lighter components. the crankset is probably pretty heavy too. i liked the jekyll and almost got it instead of my fuel, but i couldn't find any reason to have the extra couple of inches for my kind of riding. hope some of this helps

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ...

The 500 is pretty well set up for trail riding as is. I have upgraded mine with xt parts and a mantiou black elite air. But for average riding I would leave it till the parts wear out.
    I found for weight the biggest items are the cranks plus you get better shifting, the casset makes alot of weight differnce and the wheell set. These three thins well bring down thew weight the quickest.
    I dont know how your bike is set up but ride it as is untill it wears out.