mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Would you buy a used carbon Cdale?

Specifically the Flash carbon 29er HT and its chainsuck issues. I know Cannondale does not warranty frames for second-hand owners. A search shows breakage with their more DH and jumping specific bikes, and I could not find anything with a Flash Carbon 1, 2 or 3.

mtbr member
    It's probably not smart to purchase a carbon frame that shows signs of damage or abuse no matter what brand it is. Remember that chainsuck is not a frame defect, it's a mechanic (or lack of mechanic) defect. I have heard that Cdale sometimes will replace the frames in this case anyway, however, if they didn't, I wouldn't hold that against them. I recently purchased a new scalpel frame only from a cdale shop, just because of the warranty. They are very good about their warranty practices and between the quality of the product and their commitment to back it up that's kept me riding them for 11 years. It is kinda hard to shell out the money for a frame only, but if it ever breaks it will become another one at no charge. I keep thinking if I ride my old Taurine hard enough, it'll break, but it just won't give up! Still my favorite hardtail of all time.