YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Would I Really Want a Swept-back Seatpost on a New Scalpel?

I was looking at a Large Scalpel today. It happened to be an Ultimate so it has a swept back post. None of the other Scalpels have that. I'm between a Large and a Medium, I mean I could ride either but if I rode a Large it would need to be with a straight post. I guess I'm wondering if the swept-back post is bad way to make a Medium fit for someone my size 179cm/5'10.5".
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    where is this elusive large scalpel ultimate???? im still waiting for mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Some bikes I use straight post and others I use a setback. Would highly recommend getting a proper bike fitting, especially if you are going to be spending that sort of money on a bike. Everyone is different and the decision on straight vs setback post is to get you in the right position based on the correct fit. You can really screw up your knees if you get this wrong.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Layback posts are a fitting tool, not related to the bike they are on. Many times, I fit folks, and have to remove one post or the other, to make a certain model fit correctly. It has to do with your femur length, seat tube angle ( and sag with an FS), like bingobong said, get fit on it.

And I just want to smack folks who tell others to use a layback post to gain cock pit length, why not just tell them to try and jump in front of a train to improve their reflexes.

Good morning!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    I was looking at a Large Scalpel today. It happened to be an Ultimate so it has a swept back post. None of the other Scalpels have that. I'm between a Large and a Medium, I mean I could ride either but if I rode a Large it would need to be with a straight post. I guess I'm wondering if the swept-back post is bad way to make a Medium fit for someone my size 179cm/5'10.5".
    I'm 5-7 with short legs and figured I'd fit on a small. I ended up with a medium because it fits better. They seem to run small. A 5-11 guy on my bike would need a freaking *long* post and probably a diffferent stem.

Do they have a fit bike? Even if they charge you it will cost less than a bar / stem / seatpost swap later.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    where is this elusive large scalpel ultimate???? im still waiting for mine.

It's in Basalt, CO
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mnt bike laws of physics
    I am assuming you are into racing since you are looking at one of the top racing machines available to man. In my experience (which is limited to me) if you are into racing, a setback seatpost is not the way to win. Racing usually has a lot of climbing and you want to get over the pedals for that. A setback SP will have you too far behind for optimal climbing position.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    I am assuming you are into racing since you are looking at one of the top racing machines available to man. In my experience (which is limited to me) if you are into racing, a setback seatpost is not the way to win. Racing usually has a lot of climbing and you want to get over the pedals for that. A setback SP will have you too far behind for optimal climbing position.
    You are generalising quite a lot. Many top World Cup level XC pros use setback posts (with or without low/long stems). What works for a rider doesn't necessarily work for another.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    In my experience (which is limited to me) if you are into racing, a setback seatpost is not the way to win. Racing usually has a lot of climbing and you want to get over the pedals for that. A setback SP will have you too far behind for optimal climbing position.
    All due respect? I could make a serious sandwich out of all that bologna....

Proper positioning is critical to performance/winning, whether it be a lay back post, cleat shimming, etc.

Scooching forward gets you over the pedals, not being able to retreat from that position for other portions of the ride, ruins knees, plain and simple.

Great,now I'm hungry.

Dan, where'd the Meatbomb avatar go, that one cracked me up!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    You are generalising quite a lot. Many top World Cup level XC pros use setback posts (with or without low/long stems). What works for a rider doesn't necessarily work for another.
    So true. I haven't seen many top level pro's bikes, but I am not surprised to hear that as we are all dimensioned so differently. Not only that, we get accustomed to certain positions based on our strengths and weaknesses.

LA CHÈVRE
    I for one have a setback post on my medium Scalpel (as well as all my other bikes when I think of it) and have a 110mm x -5° stem. Some might say I should be on a large frame but no, I'm better on a medium.

Mendon, just for you.

Thanks man, you're the best

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Thanks man, you're the best
    Always glad to help. by the way, 'the best' will be sending a few lefties to 'the real best' in a few days!

Always glad to help. by the way, 'the best' will be sending a few lefties to 'the real best' in a few days!
    Aw shucks.....

Got some sexy guts here fer ya already!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Aw shucks.....

Got some sexy guts here fer ya already!
    Already? Sweet!

Already? Sweet!
    That's the nice thing about being a 5 hour drive away. If it's in stock, I see it pretty darn fast!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    That's the nice thing about being a 5 hour drive away. If it's in stock, I see it pretty darn fast!
    Yep! Okay so I'm hunting my friend to know if I send his shock over but I'll be sending a box your way in the next few days. Now sorry for derailling the thread everyone.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Dan you're 177-178cm, something like that right?
    I remember you ride a 54cm S6...
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

LA CHÈVRE
    Dan you're 177-178cm, something like that right?
    I remember you ride a 54cm S6...
    Yeah, around that, I don't remember my inseam though. Also, I had a higher/shorter stem before but switched to a wide low riser with 9° of backsweep so the lower/longer stem keeps my weight forward and low enough over the front wheel but I prefer the wider bar and the sweep over a typical flat bar...

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    part of my question is why just one version of the bike comes with a sweptback post. There's rider geometry but there's also bike and suspension geometry. You might think that designers would like to know where saddles were likely to be when they design especially on a full suspension model.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

part of my question is why just one version of the bike comes with a sweptback post. There's rider geometry but there's also bike and suspension geometry. You might think that designers would like to know where saddles were likely to be when they design especially on a full suspension model.
    Many times, they'll spec an item, and run out before completing the build run, so they sub in something else. I've seen in several times, from different makers. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that's the case here, speced with a straight, this one has a layback etc.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Because a setback post looks more 'pro' and the Team Replica is the ultimate 'pro' bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Because a setback post looks more 'pro' and the Team Replica is the ultimate 'pro' bike!

100% correct, this bike is aimed at people who have the cash to emulate their pro rider crush. most of whom are riding bikes that are too small for them, hence the setback post!?!

in italy for an extra €45 the scalpel ultimate also comes a special 'fontana' moustache kit, which is soon to be available in limited numbers at www.dr-cannondale.de for €95.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake
    in italy for an extra €45 the scalpel ultimate also comes a special 'fontana' moustache kit, which is soon to be available in limited numbers at www.dr-cannondale.de for €95.
    outstanding! hopefully they have the pimpin' fur coat he has been prancing around in as well.

LA CHÈVRE
    I'd just take Fontana's car instead.