mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Is it worth it to replace the Headshok ?

Hi, I have a 2002 Bad Boy Ultra with clunking noise when the headshok is in the lock out position, Cannondale is not able to rebuild it due to certain parts are not longer made, so they are offering a "trade-in" programe which will still cost me $412 for a new fork (Fatty Delux ?), now my question is, is it worth it to pay that much of money (plus installation) or am I better off to just convert it to a different fork (with reducer, new fork, new stem,...)

Any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated !

mtbr member
    "is it worth it to pay that much of money (plus installation)"

No.

Contact Craig at MendonCycleSmith. Chances are he can fix it for a lot less even with shipping (worked for me with my 93' headshok)
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The clunking simply means your forks cartridge is low on oil.

Fresh seals and oil, it'll feel like a million bucks.

Cannondale still sells the seals required, they just aren't working on them in house any longer. Why your dealer said otherwise, is likely pointed out in the profit differential between making yours work, and selling you new stuff you don't really need....

However, if they can in fact fix it for you in house, it's a no brainer as seals, and oil should cost next to nothing on their own, and the whole job takes less than an hour.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Headshok rebuild

Seriously , just send it to Mendon , you will have it back butter smooth within a week ... trust me , I been through the dealer BS just like you and they are just ripping you off for oil and seals for 400 bucks!

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Send it to Craig at Mendon Cyclesmith!

Can't stop the Prophet
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    The clunking simply means your forks cartridge is low on oil.

Fresh seals and oil, it'll feel like a million bucks.

Cannondale still sells the seals required, they just aren't working on them in house any longer. Why your dealer said otherwise, is likely pointed out in the profit differential between making yours work, and selling you new stuff you don't really need....

However, if they can in fact fix it for you in house, it's a no brainer as seals, and oil should cost next to nothing on their own, and the whole job takes less than an hour.

What happened to honest people like Craig? Jesus, my next fork is going to be a Lefty just so that I can send it to Mendon Cyclesmith for service, seriously! One of the reasons I didn't go with a Lefty was that there was no where nearby to get it serviced, and I had not really been too involved in the forum to know about Craig's shop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Dear all,

Thanks for all the very kind and helpful replies, the "oil" & "seal" were the first thing that came to my mind too since the headshok still bounce (but with squeeshy noise) and no sign of air leak, this is a pretty reputable LBS that I am working with and is surprised they still couldnt identify the problem.

I will be sure to contact Craig once I get my bike back (I just declined Cannondale's trade-in offer" and have already asked the bike shop to just put my old fork back once it has been returned from Cannondale.

Thanks again for all the suggestions !

Hi Craig, hopefully the problem could be something else other than the seal & oil which is fixable.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnjia
    hopefully the problem could be something else other than the seal & oil which is fixable.
    If it got back to Cannondale, that's still the likely culprit.

Cannondale has stopped working on any fork older than 3 years, regardless of the issue. Why? I have no idea, but as I said, the seals are still readily available, in fact, many are the same as are used in current forks.

The only killer is if your cartridge has damage on the shaft, which will be an uphill battle to replace....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com