mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Working on a Killer V900

I recently bought a new (for me) mtb and was lucky enough to get a pretty good deal on an old Killer V900. I checked online and found on the vintage cannondale website that according to the serial num. that my bike was a 1993. However according to the catalogs the Killer V wasnt released until 94. Also, the paint scheme on my bike was almost exactly the same as the Killer V900 of 94 (blue/silver). I tried contacting the site creators but they havent responded I was wondering if anyone knows about the early Killer V mtb.

Also I was wondering whether there was anywhere that sells 1 1/4 stems,all i could find was 1 1/8. I need to replace the fork too, would it just be better to replace both at the same time and convert it to 1 1/8 or would this be ruin the steering?

Lastly i keep seeing Killer V bikes converted to disc brakes but i havent been able to find the parts at any of my local bike stores. Is there a certain one i should use on this type of bike?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just recently converted/upgraded my old Cannondale Super V so I was in the same boat as you for quite a while! As far as the serial number goes, it's always a year off for the older Cannondales. I would replace both the stem and fork at the same time if I were you, will need a new headset as well. As far as disc brakes go, the front will be easy with the purchase of a new fork. The rear is a different story. Many of the bikes that look like Killer V's are actually an early F1000 with disc tabs. I would look on this site for disc brake adapters. One that I have used in the past is the A2Z adapter and it worked really well to be honest. They are hard to find but you can usually spot one on Ebay if you are patient. Good luck, I hope I helped in some small way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    thank you for your help Ill look into that. By the way shortly after my posting my problem, Vinatge cannondale emailed me telling me that my bike was indeed a 94 cannondale built in 93 like cars are commonly done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have the same Killer V, I don't ride it much but it is definitely vintage for Cannondale. I was able to convert to disc brakes without a problem. Enjoy the bike! I love Cannondales!
    Love my Elsworth Joker and Burton snowboards!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    what did you use to convert to disc brakes?

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by christophera
    I recently bought a new (for me) mtb and was lucky enough to get a pretty good deal on an old Killer V900. I checked online and found on the vintage cannondale website that according to the serial num. that my bike was a 1993. However according to the catalogs the Killer V wasnt released until 94. Also, the paint scheme on my bike was almost exactly the same as the Killer V900 of 94 (blue/silver). I tried contacting the site creators but they havent responded I was wondering if anyone knows about the early Killer V mtb.
    Any assistance will be greatly appreciated
    I worked in an LBS summer/fall of 93 while in high school. Although I was not "allowed" to buildup the high dollar Cannondales I do remember the name being tossed around a lot.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Christophera,
    I was also on that same boat but I have a killer v500 which is similar to your v900 in design..not super v900 though. I could not decide how to go bout it and researched it and saw the a2z adapter and also the brake therapy adapter. I decided to go with one similar to the brake therapy one that I found on ebay. Chasertech was the sellers name and once I got it and installed it which was relatively simple. I saw more cons with the a2z adpater than brake therapy design. The brake therapy just appeared more bulky than sleek like the a2z. I decided to stay rigid in the front but know that I have the disc abilities to change over to a shock set up in the front. Hope this helps you some