Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004

Will this work on a prophet?

Will this shock work on a medium prophet? What is the eye to eye length I need? Thanks.
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/cat...roducts_id=398

LA CHÈVRE
    You need a 200mm (7.875") eye-to-eye and a 50mm (2") stroke... So yes that will work.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What does this shock get you vs a Float R?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    What's the eye to eye length needed for a large Prophet?

LA CHÈVRE
    It's the same for all sizes. Swingarms are the exact same and the location of the shock mount relative to the swingarm is also at the exact same place for all sizes.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    What does this shock get you vs a Float R?
    The Prophet suspension was designed for the Manitou Swinger. The Swinger is a MUCH BETTER shock in all situations. This is a great deal - Highly Recommended !!!
    What it get you is a shock that can actually dampen the bumps while giving you a pedalling platform whos quality is worlds better than any substitute.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    The Prophet suspension was designed for the Manitou Swinger. The Swinger is a MUCH BETTER shock in all situations. This is a great deal - Highly Recommended !!!
    What it get you is a shock that can actually dampen the bumps while giving you a pedalling platform whos quality is worlds better than any substitute.
    Well, we could argue on the Swinger being the best there is but yes, it has an adjustable platform that makes a 140mm travel single pivot FS bike pedal very efficiently. Great shock for the Prophet. And the Santa Cruz deal is very good.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Thanks guys. I am ordering it today along with the 06 juicys they have for $220. That should complete my upgrades to this bike. So far I have custom Daves speed dream ztr 355's built on the lefty hub up front and a king hub in the back, along with Race Face Deus cranks, Thomson post, Laser V stealth saddle and a carbon bar. It has lost alot of weight. I really appreciate the help you guys (especially Dan) gave me with the purchase of this bike. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Is the Manitou Swinger rear shock better than the Fox Float R that came with my 2007 Prophet?

LA CHÈVRE
    The Swinger can be adjusted to eliminate bobbing, the Float R doesn't have an adjustable pedaling platform. I would say yes, the Swinger is superior. I'm not saying you should buy one though. Do you think your bike bobs too much when pedaling? If it does and it bothers you, maybe the Swinger is a good idea.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by scubastud
    Is the Manitou Swinger rear shock better than the Fox Float R that came with my 2007 Prophet?
    Personally, I like the Swinger as much or more for its bump absorbing quality, although the platform is very nice indeed.
    And Dan, I would not like to argue about which shock is better, but I will argue whos lower back is more sensitive to spikes

mtbr member
    Anyone ever use a Fox Van R on a Prophet? Thinking about one of those; or a Pearl.

mnt bike laws of physics
    I'm not sure about a coil shock. With the rising rate(decreasing mechanical advantage) of the shock linkage of the Prophet, you might blow through the travel, but mabey not. One thing for sure, not near as easy to adjust the spring. (note: a coil spring has a limited range of adjustability whereas an air shock is almost limitless - just adjust the air pressure). If it does not work for you, you need to change the coil spring.
    As far as the Pearl, BlackDiamond has just given us his take on it at the following link:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...80066#poststop
    This was under the Prophet Rules Thread
    He seemed to like it a bunch. Hope this helps your descision.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    Anyone ever use a Fox Van R on a Prophet? Thinking about one of those; or a Pearl.
    The Vanilla has no platform damping, which would be a big disadvantage for the Prophet.

Consider the DHX 5.0 and you can have adjustable pedalling platform and enough tuning options that you can completely counteract the falling rate of suspension inherent in the Prophet design.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    see my other posts for more thoughts on the swinger/rp3/evolver prophet related issue. to sum my experience up so far:

rp3: so far no good. blows through the travel too easily- though still not plush compared to the swinger (even if the swinger uses less of the travel, efficient, feels slow. never tried a float, float r or rp2/23 that came stock on a prophet so i don't know how those feel, just not totally happy with the ones i've tried on so far.

swinger: plush, feels fast, some can have issues adjusting the spv just right, sits a little bit when going uphill. basically a pretty basic shock adjustibility wise: rebound, spv level and spring pressure, that's it.

evolver isx6: can't go wrong here. efficient even though it has no platform, tons and tons of adjustability, plush and sensitive - perhaps even more so due to no platform, takes everything you can hit it with and then some, heavier than the other two. way cheaper than a custom tuned rp3, but more expensive than a swinger from sc.

rs pearl: talked to two guys about this one, one of em didn't quit like it (daktari here on this forum) and the other guy thought it was great. i'm slanted to agree with daktari, though i haven't tried it myself (so i really have no idea ;-) hehe)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    [QUOTE=Kevin G]Anyone ever use a Fox Van R on a Prophet? Thinking about one of those; or a Pearl.

Hi, i have tried a pearl 3.3 now for all summer, and it doesn't work for me.
    It is not plush over roots and small stuff, but at the same time falls throught the travel at jumps and small stepdowns less than a feet.
    The floodgate and swithch is working good, but the rebound is to fast. I now usually ride with the switch dedactivated on singeltrack, and the floodgate fully open, but started out with a medium floodgate setting. Still too harsh. Less pressure means more bottom out of course, and doesnt work either. It is ok, but not perfect. I like it really plush!

My theory is that the high air volume of the pearl make it more linear than other air shocks, and thereby is less suited to the Prophets character.

dbblackdiamond here at the forum was happy with his, though.

mtbr member
    Would it help to say that I rarely pedal up big hills and focus more on downhill; so I'm not concerned with adjustability to the Nth degree, but moreso a shock that can take abuse (i.e. rock pounding, small drops). Wondering if coil would be wrong then as the Pearl is getting mixed reviews here. I don't plan on bottoming out the Prophet's rear travel as I'm no dirt jumper, but I have taken this bike to black diamond runs such as at Northstar and feel I need better suspension.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Thanks everybody for contributing to this forum.

Kevin, I think klinkekule's got the answer for you in the Manitou Evolver. You probably already have Manitou spacers so this shock should be an awesome upgrade for the downhilling you do.

rw420 thinks the Fox DHXair is the deal. This shock has had great reviews, and i'm sure this would work for you as well.

Either way, these 2 would give you coil feel, without the adjustability problems of the coil shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ok, that's settles it. get the evolver. i haven't tried the dhx air, but apparently it's midstroke isn't all that good, or existing. hehe. this is supposedly much better with the evolver. it sits quite high in it's travel too so it's all good. ckeck out the let's talk about shocks forum for more info on it.

bottom line, get the evolver isx6 from www.universalcycles.com for 360 (after the 30 percent discount i think it is) (it won some shock test in bike magazine, you know those inquisitive germans ;-) ). also, since you will mostly be going downhill the 400gr weight, or whatever it was, won't bother you. it's still a lot lighter than a coil. and if you live in the us the servicing is prob a lot easier than here over the pond in good ol norway.

mtbr member
    Thanks, kids; y'all rock. Will post photos soon of my Prophet beast. Adding Codes onto it this weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well, can't wait to see some photos! hehe. sorry if my mantra these days are get an evolver isx6- it's better than anything else, but i've never been as happy with my bikes as after i've got this shock. and i haven't even bothered using that much time finetuning it yet! hehe i think it can still get even nicer. first it was on my prophet and solved all my prob with rear suspension on that bike, than that problem got a revival after i switched it over to my commencal since it made more sense to have it on that bike (pluss my van36rc2 and rp3 really didn't get along at all, though some fine tuning prob coul've sorted that out).

good luck on the purchase (universalcycles was the cheapest vendor i found) and if it fails miserably you at least know what country you can go to tokick my ass. hehe.

LA CHÈVRE
    And if you're too busy, I wouldn't mind going to kick his ass for you, I'd love to go back to Norway, one of the nicest place I have ever traveled to! Friendly welcoming people, beautiful girls, nice scenery, deep powder for snowboarding... Just time it during summer, last time I went, it was winter...

mnt bike laws of physics

Kevin G

Just saw a Manitou Evolver 4 in the MTBR Classifieds for $225 Brand New. I think this is a good deal.

mtbr member
    Thanks, brother. Will check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    Just saw a Manitou Evolver 4 in the MTBR Classifieds for $225 Brand New. I think this is a good deal.

mtbr member
    Klink and Yogi, you seem to be the Prophet suspension masters, what would you recommend for me for a fork? Am considering a Lyrik, Domain 318IS, and a Pike (so far).