mtbr member

will mountain king supersonic 2.4 fit my f2?

hi guys..need some advice..i have an F2 with mavic 717 rims.i am thinking of upgrading my current maxxis ridgeline which are really heavy to a mountain king supersonic 2.4..

will 2.4 fit? as in, will the tires be too wide?

thks!!

mtbr member
    The 2.4s are on the small side of a 2.4 (more like a 2.3). Fits fine on my c'dale F4 Furio.

mtbr member
    Why 2.4's?

Just wondering.

You could get a lighter tire and have about the same amount of grip with the 2.2.

mtbr member

yeah..

yeah i get it..but i read some review from a rider in mtbr that the 2.2 version sucks big time as it's walls are very thin and are not durable at all. He also mentioned the 2.2 version is a failure. He said nobody cld go wrong with the 2.4

actually, to be honest i am really unsure what tire to buy. I really just wanna get rid of the stock maxis ridgeline which are heavy at 650grams per tire to something lighter and will not puncture easily. Something that can be all rounder and ard 450 to 550 grams per tire wld be nice..

is there any such tire?that does not puncture easily and relatively light? is racing ralph such a tire?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Racing ralphs are also pretty thin, although they have a thicker "snakeskin" version. Not too grippy though. 2.4s would also be a bit larger than ideal for the 717s, and any supersonic tire is going to have fairly thin sidewalls. It's all about tradeoffs. Also, have you looked at the Race Kings? I have a set of the 2.2s on my scalpel. It's a real nice tire for XC. Bigger carcass (real big for a 2.2), smaller knobs than the 2.2 MKs (but bigger than the Ralphs), but again real thin sidewalls for the supersonic version.