mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Will a medium Prophet fit me?

Hi

I'm looking for a Prophet but cannot get one to try for size. I'm 5' 6" with a 29" inseam. I looked at the geometry chart on the Dale site and noticed that standover is the same for Small and Medium. The difference is in the seat tube length and the top tube length.

There are medium sized 06 Prophet 600s at good prices in the UK, but no small. Is anyone the same height as me running a medium?

I can't find any info from Dale on recommended frame sizes for a given height. Has anyone come across one?

I have 16" Kona hard tail that seems to fit me well on the reach. The Medium Prophet would be an inch or so longer but I am not sure what length stem is standard.

I'd particularly like an 06 model as they have Lefty's. All the 07 UK Prophets have conventional forks.

Cheers

Andy

LA CHÈVRE
    Compare horizontal top tube length. Seat tube height and standover don't do much for how a bike fits you when you ride since the seatpost gets you the correct saddle to pedal distance and you don't ride a bike with both feet on the ground. The length of the bike is much more important to give you a correct position, to make sure your knees don't hit the bars...

But I would say a small would be better for a 5'6" rider unless you like a more stretched XC racing position. I'm on a medium but I'm 5'10", don't remember my inseam... A medium has a 100mm x 5° stem.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    don't remember my inseam...
    do you not wear pants???

i'd recommend the small too
    i ride a M and i'm between 5'10 & 11" with about a 33 or 34" inseam.
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    '07 Bianchi Roger

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by mfisher1971
    do you not wear pants???
    Yes but they're MC Hammer styled...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would definetley go for the small. I am 5'6" with a 30" inseam. I have trail time on both a medium and a small. I went for the small cause the medium was WAY too strected out for my liking. With the small I felt like I was in the middle of the bike, which is where I wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm 5'7 and I ride a M Prophet in XC position. The bike fits me very well and it's very confortable. I also have a M F600 that fits me perfectly.

Avenger of Evil
    I am 5'7" and ride a medium Prophet. I also have a Thompson set back seat post. I felt like I was on top of the cranks with the standard post, now I feel like I have more power with the rearward position.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I bought a small Prophet. I'm 5'6 3/4" and have 29" inseam. I felt a little cramped so I got the Titec El Norte Bent post. This has worked well for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm the same size and I ride the medium. To me it feels great but I don't have anything to compare it to.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm 172cm (5'64) and I have small prophet with 110mm stem and Thomson setback and 175mm crank fit me perfectly.

Here is my bike Prophet 1000: Can this guy save another 1 or 2 lbs?

Mar 2007
    I'm 5'8 and ride a small prophet.

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 7.5, 29" inseam and ride a small. When I bought it, i road a small and medium back to back. I think I chose the small mostly because I could get back behind the seat a little easier for steep down hills. I recall not really being able to tell much of a difference, though. Afterward buying it and riding it a while though, I seemed to feel a tiny bit cramped on the small, I kept sitting back as far as I could on the seat. I moved it back on the rails as far as it will go, and it's fine now.
    But I think the medium would have been fine too.
    I say try out the medium, and it it seems good, go with it.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm in the same position you are. I'm just under 5' 7" and I'm trying to decide between a medium and a small. I've ridden both (on the trail many times) and I'm still undecided. Ultimately, I fit both bikes, and each size has its advantages. The medium feels more stable and confident going downhill. The small is more "flickable" and easier to wheelie and what-not. You can see from above that there are many corss-overs in sizes. I think I may go with the medium in order to play to my weakness. I'm a better climber than I am at downhill, so I'm thinking I should pick the bike that plays to that. Personally, I would not buy it if I couldn't try it out. You may want to keep looking for some to demo.

B

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Buy the medium if you are a sitter.

Buy the small if you are a stander. (bmx style riding)
    Last edited by racerzero; 05-03-2007 at 07:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    But the medium if you are a sitter.

Buy the small if you are a stander. (bmx style riding)
    Stand or squat?? hahaha (seriously, good point though!)

Sounds like, based on availability + desire for Lefty, his dilemma is not really choosing small vs medium, but that medium is all that's available. I'd say given the responses here (and my personal experience as posted above) he'll be fine with a medium. Subtle differences, awesome ride either way.

Hey Andy, you still out there? What's the verdict??
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks to everyone for the info.

I was watching a medium Prophet 600 on ebay which prompted the post. It was a 2005 600 in excellent condition for £700 ( $1400 approx). It did not sell and had no bids. I was tempted, but the ad finished before I got most of the replies on the thread.

Here's the ebay link if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...DME:L:RTQ:UK:1

I asked the seller for a measurement for the top tube including plus stem and got 24.5" to 25". I got nervous of this as it's a bit more than my Kona.

With the info I have now, I might get one off ebay to try in medium. I can always re-sell it again I suppose as a last resort. One will come up pretty soon as they are pretty popular in this size.

Thanks again for the advice, It's been very helpful.

Cheers

Andy