mtbr member

Will Jekyll 800 stand it?

Hello All... I am interested in buying the Jekyll 800, but am concerned that my weight may pose a problem... I am 6'.6" tall and weigh 245lbs... I am kicking on a bit so won't be doing 5' jumps (intentionally), but am concerned that the bike will withstand the pounding it will inevitably get...? I love the style of the bike, and the 'Lefty Max' really looks the business... but I won't buy a bike that is not suitable.

Any advise is much appreciated...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004

heavy rider

[my friend is about 6'2" and around your weight and he rides a jekyll, before that he had a superV (which got stolen). I ride a 600 but am only 170lbs. If you are not very aggressive I think it would be ok otherwise if I were you I would get a gemini or something similar. The bike store should be able to recommend the best option for you. Cannondale has a good warranty but not having a bike for a month if it does break sucks.

Poser
    I'm riding a Jekyll at 255lbs with Sun CR-18 rims. Everything is cool, but I don't do big drops either. I have about 275psi in the Fox Float R.

I'd say go for it, but anybody our weight should understand that there's very few rims/wheel builds that will take abuse from us.

Perpetrator of Lawsuits
    I'm 265 and have a 2003 Jekyll 1000. it works great, I take it to Big Bear and go for some pretty harsh DH on both the main mountain and the DH singletracks and have had no problems. The wheels are 24 hole Mavic X3.1 disc UST. I've had them get out of true but nothing that couldn't be fixed rather easily.

I don't do big drops either, and I agree with direktor 100% that you'll be hard pressed to find a wheel that you can't tweak at our weight.

Try it out, I love mine.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your replies... this was the one thing holding me back from buying one, but I will have confidence now, so I'm going for it!

Thank You All...!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gitf@ce
    Thanks for your replies... this was the one thing holding me back from buying one, but I will have confidence now, so I'm going for it!

Thank You All...!
    The Jekyll is an XC bike, it's not built solid enough for anything close to extreme use. We've warrantied 4 at our shop in the last year, and we're not that big. Considering your weight I'd recommend something heavier-duty.