mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Will A Hollowgram SL Crank+BB fit my 2007 Rush Carbon 1?

I just picked up A 2007 Rush Carbon 1. It has a XTR crankset on it, but I want to put a Hollowgram SL on it.

Will it fit? Are some BB30 for that year and some not? Sounds weird to me.

Should I keep the "full" XTR package (brakes+shifters)? Or go with XO grip shifters and XO rear derailer?

The XTR is smooth but i've been using XO for a while now.

Any other upgrades? Has SLR's on it. Needs better rubber though!

Any help is appreciated!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Good bike choice to start,

If you want the hollowgram SL on it, it's going to cost you. Last time I looked, they around $900 new for the SL version. They weigh only 620gr for the triple. That is a lot to pay for a 250 gr diff vs your XTR.

"They" say the BB30 is stiffer than tradition crank set ups. I have ridden both on a Rize and couldn't tell the difference. But, that is just my opinion. People with more ride time on both maybe could tell more. I only had two hrs of dirt time on each.

Also, since you have an XTR set up already, that means you probably have the insert for a std crank set. According to cdale, removing it will void your warranty. But, since you bought yours used, you dont have the life time warranty anyway.

If you like gripshifts, go with those. I love them. You will have to switch to an x.0 RD, if you do. I'm not a fan of the XTR brakes either.

The only other upgrade I could think of would be a carbon bar if it does not have one already. Easton monkeylite CNT XC is my fav.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    But I thought the reason you liked the '07 (compared to the '09 you were debating) was it had full XTR. Now you are contemplating switching the XTR drivetrain you wanted?

Once you setup a BB30 crankset, you will see this is the way it should have always been done. I love mine and hopefully every future bike has this capability.

If your carbon frame does have the aluminum BB insert (BB30 to 68mm adapter), I would suggest that you just run that. While removing the BB insert on an aluminum frame is pretty straight forward (arbor press), doing this on a carbon bike comes with risks.

As for shifters. If I didn't prefer a low-normal R/D, I would be using the whole XO 1:1 setup.

FWIW: I would stick with the way the bike came.

mtbr member
    Last edited by zippy895; 04-14-2009 at 12:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Definetly make the switch to X.0...you wont regret switching to the far superior 1:1 actuation ratio. The XTR Brakes just have a ton of modulation, some argue that it hinders the stopping power, I agree.