Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Will Cannondale warranty this?

Have had my gemini 2000 04 for five months now and was awaiting a lighter spring which was a difficult size to get, up until then used minimum preload, and the bike at 150mm so I get it last week so I decide to fit the spring and at the same time increase the travel to the 170mm setting, well first problem that happened after following and old picture which showed the shock with resovoir pointing down first run ended in a den in the down tube, I was gutted and felst sick, then the only other way was resovoir in the up position, all other two ways couldnt even fit, well after today the shock is now hitting the top tube and every time the shock compresses into the last bits of compression it takes a small chunk out of the top tube. Phoned the bike shop and the bike is being seen on Tuesday.

What should I expect them to do as the swinger coil 4-way shouldnt be fitted to a small gemini?

New frame and shock? (obviously would have to be a fox, although I have had fox before and really dont want that.)

Ask for the DH frame and only have 170mm

Will they change the whole bike?

Should I get a diferent make (again, love my gemini)

The Heckler, Bullit, G-spot would be an option, but would I get the full amount in money spent back?

What will they do?

Are you talking to me?

Whatever you do, be honest.

I am not sure how Cannondale will handle this one. You fitted an aftermarket shock, without checking for clearance. (A shock specifically restricted by Cannondale.)

I am sure that they will work with you, but it depends on many factors.

At the very least, there is a warranty/exchange program, and you will have a few different options.

Good luck, this is a tough one to call.

Do you have photos?
    gfy

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Swinger coil

The shock came with the bike, I had sent from answer a spring for it which I changed.

Are you talking to me?

How bad is the damage?

Worst case scenerio is that you end up buying a new front triangle. Hopefully Cannondale sees fit to provide you with a new warranty triangle. Good luck.
    gfy

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

New question here. New triangle

Trouble is I reckon it would still be a small frame with the same shock, unless mine was an early release and then they noticed.

I would like a whole new frame. The trouble I have had from the begining the bike came with a 500lb spring which suited someone of about 180lbs im only 140, and eventually got a 350 although they could only get a x2.5 instead of x2.25 until they made more 2.25 springs, so when I went to the 170mm setting then thats where the real problems started.

So if it cant be resolved with a raw silver small frame then not sure what I might want, the bike cost me £2600 which in the states makes it appx $4200, as you can see from that amount of money its a lot to have a non 170mm bike sat idle at the mo.

could get a stinky, coiler, cove gspot, heckler, or even a DH gemini frame. I'd want six inches minimum and with possibly a 05 marzochi, will know the outcome in 24 hours. I want a coil shock though and the 05 bikes arent here until 6 weeks.
    Last edited by catnash; 09-06-2004 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Change in content

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Lates news

Quote Originally Posted by catnash
    Trouble is I reckon it would still be a small frame with the same shock, unless mine was an early release and then they noticed.

I would like a whole new frame. The trouble I have had from the begining the bike came with a 500lb spring which suited someone of about 180lbs im only 140, and eventually got a 350 although they could only get a x2.5 instead of x2.25 until they made more 2.25 springs, so when I went to the 170mm setting then thats where the real problems started.

So if it cant be resolved with a raw silver small frame then not sure what I might want, the bike cost me ?2600 which in the states makes it appx $4200, as you can see from that amount of money its a lot to have a non 170mm bike sat idle at the mo.

could get a stinky, coiler, cove gspot, heckler, or even a DH gemini frame. I'd want six inches minimum and with possibly a 05 marzochi, will know the outcome in 24 hours. I want a coil shock though and the 05 bikes arent here until 6 weeks.
    Took the bike in today, Cannondale want a photo and I have let my bike shop deal with it all, looking like I will get a new frame and a new 05 shock by 5th element, the silver raw colour I loved so much isnt available in a small frame any more so I might get the newer 05 2000, but there may be a chance I may get any colour, but the guy at the shop said they will most probably give me a choice of colours, So I am waiting for two to three days to hear the outcome. To be honest I don't want another make, I just want the fun again. I thought my gemini as good a bike as any.

Are you talking to me?

glad to hear it.

I am glad that Cannondale is standing behind the consumer. Keep us posted, including photos of the new ride.
    gfy

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Latest news

Well heres the latest

six weeks wait for a front triangle and shock in the 05 coloured 2000 model, bad news is that that doesnt include the rear part of the bike so would have diferent coloured rear which I couldnt be happy with, they have allowed me to 'buy' a 05 rear part for $450

The dealer has asked me to e-mail cannondale in the states but really don't know how to ask for the rear for free.

Uhhhhh...
    My best riding bud has a gemini and you plain and simple mounted the shock wrong. Your lucky Cannondale did anything for you. My friend also cracked his swingarm and they sent him a new one sight unseen (but he works in a shop).

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Nope

No the shop has had a look at it, the small frame that I have has the swinger 4-way coil shock, In the resovoir up front the shock wont fit in the resovoir at the back the shock hits the frame in both position which means the small frame has a fault with the swinger 4-way coil shock. The pdf file I had dowloaded didnt have the pictures for shock settings in the small frame size.

Uhhhhh...
    No the shop has had a look at it, the small frame that I have has the swinger 4-way coil shock, In the resovoir up front the shock wont fit in the resovoir at the back the shock hits the frame in both position which means the small frame has a fault with the swinger 4-way coil shock. The pdf file I had dowloaded didnt have the pictures for shock settings in the small frame size.
    Damn, if it doesnt fit in any position what so ever, i'd be pissed. Sorry for doubting you but my friend has some dents from wrong positiong. Have you tried resovoir up, towards front of bike? That's the way 5th E run and u can maybe stick 2 pieces of paper in the space.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

doesnt even fit

Only fits in one way in the 150mm setting. but cant even get the shock in with the resovoir up front in the two positions, the first dent happened when I had the resovoir out back and facing down as fox would have on my old manual, that dent was big and I felt sick when that hapened, so I changed the shock to the resovoir up top and there appeared to be space for it to go but in its last 3/4 trabel hits the top tube. Even before this I had downloaded pdf file with the updated gemini pictures with the swinger coil but it doesnt include a small frame in that description. I had heard about potential damage with shocks and frames, Should I be paying for a rear to match the 05?

Are you talking to me?

Call them yourself.

Should I be paying for a rear to match the 05?

Get your RA# from the shop that you are working with, and call cannondale directly.

Does the color work?
    gfy

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

The colour

Nope, the colour to me wouldnt look right. what is the CA number?

Sirstopsalot
    Aug 2004
    Cannondale Bicycle Corp
    16 Trowbridge Drive
    Bethel, CT 06801
    PH# 1-800-BIKEUSA
    1-800-245-3872
    email

Are you talking to me?

Do you mean RA#?

Nope, the colour to me wouldnt look right. what is the CA number?
    The RA# is Return Authorization. This is a tracking # that most companies will use to track repair/warranty cases. Having your RA# might make the call easier, as the person on the Cannondale side will have the info provided up to the time of the call in front of them.
    gfy

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Latest

Should I send this link to Cannondale as well? or has anyone else done a similar thing?. I have asked for the RA number so awaiting that. I am starting to save up for the rear triangle, I will most likely pay for it myself as I want it to match. One way for me to cut some of the costs is to sell the thru 12 rear on e-bay, but unlikely to ship anywhere far. The more I have thought about it the more I have finally found all the attributes I wanted in a bike and any other bike won't do. At least in appx five weeks would have had a new frame and shock which should then see me right for the next few years. One thing I'm going to do is spend just a whole day on a small track to try to find the sweet spot in the front breakout fork. In the UK we deal with Cannondale in Holland, I can't deal direct with the USA, and I think they ship in batches. I have a cheap hardtail with rim brakes and a very cheap Marzochi for which at least will get me out on the trails.

I just like the idea of single pivot.

Are you talking to me?

Glad to hear you like the bike.

Even with the teething issues. I may have been interested in the thru12, but after shipping and what not, I can Pro-deal a new one for very little.

I am going to PM you with some info that may make the sale of the old swingarm easier.
    gfy

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... latest news

well, decided to pay for the rear awaiting it to come to europe in about five weeks, the rest of the frame front triangle is new and the shock will be new. upgrading the hayes lines to goodridge hoses, the same as in formula one cars.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... More latest

Just heard that the frame will come with the Progressive 3-way coil shock, which I should be pleased with as the british importer TF Tuned I have very good dealings with. And unlike the fiasco in trying my best to get the right weight spring with the swinger 4-way.

The new colour is this:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/ce/model-5VG2.html

What do you guys think of this years silver?

LA CHÈVRE
    I would have to see it in person but from the picture, I like it. It looks more bronze than silver.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Good job! It's growing on me.

The more I look at it the more it's growing on me, the progressive 3-way shock is new for this year, Just talked to my lbs store and told that if I'm lucky its four weeks, otherwise its five.

the shock is on this pic.

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/phot...w&image=129755

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just heard that the frame will come with the Progressive 3-way coil shock, which I should be pleased with as the british importer TF Tuned I have very good dealings with. And unlike the fiasco in trying my best to get the right weight spring with the swinger 4-way.

The new colour is this:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/ce/model-5VG2.html

What do you guys think of this years silver?
    Does this mean that Cannondale screwed up by issuing the Manitou Swinger 4-Way on the small 2004 Gemini frame?

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

New question here. Swinger coil 4-way

They haven't said that I can only assume it had, If I would have asked the bike shop to put it in 170mm setting then it wouldnt have left the bike shop, trouble is I have heard great things about the swingers, less so about progressive.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Prophet

I'm half tempted to ask if they'll give me a prophet 2000 instead as its the same colour as i liked so much, not sure whether they would allow that though,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast