mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Will adding shims to a lefty max firm up the ride?

Hello,

I tried a red spring in my Jekyll lefty max 130mm, but it was a bit too stiff. The ride felt harsh, so I went back to my original blue spring.

If I want to achieve something, say in between a red and blue spring, will adding shims do the trick?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbr_moron
    Hello,

I tried a red spring in my Jekyll lefty max 130mm, but it was a bit too stiff. The ride felt harsh, so I went back to my original blue spring.

If I want to achieve something, say in between a red and blue spring, will adding shims do the trick?
    Yep, but only to a point, 4 is the max you should add. What fork is it, you may want to dial back the compression adjustment if it's a TPC, it'll make the ride really harsh if it's all the way up.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Drink...sleep

Shim thickness?

Was jumping the bike around for a bit yesterday and got massive bearing migration. Figured the fork must have bottomed out a couple of times. So was thinking of making a couple of shims. Mendon, do you know how thick one of those shims is? As I can't find it anywhere in the manual

(Btw, I'm using the blue ti spring in a Lefty Max TPC+ 130mm model (well, actually the 120mm model from the Prophet SL, but this is exactly the same internally as the old 130 Max). I have also tried the red spring from a 140mm Max in my fork, but didn't really like it.)

Thanks,
    Daan

P.S. I've noticed reset intervals seem to be getting shorter and shorter, aka., migration occurs faster than it used to. You think it might need a service? Because otherwise it still feels smooth as ever (never been serviced, fork is about 2000 km / 2 yrs old)

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Mendon, do you know how thick one of those shims is?
    P.S. I've noticed reset intervals seem to be getting shorter and shorter, aka., migration occurs faster than it used to. You think it might need a service? Because otherwise it still feels smooth as ever (never been serviced, fork is about 2000 km / 2 yrs old)
    They're about 2mm. If it's been two years, yep, time for a bit of lovin'
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    They're about 2mm. If it's been two years, yep, time for a bit of lovin'
    Cheers mate, sort of expected it was about time