Perpetrator of Lawsuits

Widest tire for a 2003 Jekyll 1000???

I just got back from Big Bear after my first trip up with the new Jekyll. I am VERY pleased with the performance of the bike, but the Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires (UST), left a lot to be desired in the loose stuff they have up there.

Does anyone know what the widest tire the Jekyll can take front and rear is? Also, does anyone have experience with running UST DH tires on this bike, which ones did you like, what size did you run, etc.

For anyone unfamiliar with Big Bear it is very steep in places, and the soil conditions vary between loose loamy to powdery to rocky and rutted steeps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    I have run a Geax Strudy 2.25 on the back; it is a big, big 2.25. Nothing bigger would fit.

The Continental Vertical UST 2.3 fits fine.

-James

Quote Originally Posted by BigDigger
    I just got back from Big Bear after my first trip up with the new Jekyll. I am VERY pleased with the performance of the bike, but the Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires (UST), left a lot to be desired in the loose stuff they have up there.

Does anyone know what the widest tire the Jekyll can take front and rear is? Also, does anyone have experience with running UST DH tires on this bike, which ones did you like, what size did you run, etc.

For anyone unfamiliar with Big Bear it is very steep in places, and the soil conditions vary between loose loamy to powdery to rocky and rutted steeps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Perpetrator of Lawsuits
    Thanks James,

I'm hoping the Maxxis High Roller 2.35 fits it. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Thanks James,

I'm hoping the _Maxxis High Roller 2.35 fits it. What do you think?
    I would be surprised if it did.

-James

mtbr member
    May 2004

Widest tire for a 2003 Jekyll 1000???

I have a 2003 j800 and I have run a panaracer megablaster 2.5 and a kujo 2.35dh on the rear

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I put Gazzoloddi (SP?) 2.30's on the front of my Jelyll 2000 (Lefty) but not sure how wide you can go on the rears.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Thanks James,

I'm hoping the Maxxis High Roller 2.35 fits it. What do you think?
    I'd also be real suprised if it fit. At least on my '02 Jekyll 1000 a Maxxis Mofo DH 2.35 did NOT fit in the rear.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

Perpetrator of Lawsuits

The 2.35 Maxxis High Rollers fit, and they rule

Well, I mounted the Maxxis High Roller 2.35's and they fit great on the Jekyll. As to performance, I went to Big Bear today and they literally changed the character of the bike. They are an unbelieveable improvement in the loose, rocky, steep terrain at Big Bear. My brother rides the identical bike except he had a Panaracer Fire XC in front and a Hutchison Python in the back. We swapped for a run and both agreed the difference was night and day.

My only gripe is that they are a 50 durometer compound and don't look like they are going to last a long time. That said, as well as they work, I don't care. Also, they climb poorly but I can't exactly complain as they are a DH specific tire.

Highly recommended.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well, I mounted the Maxxis High Roller 2.35's and they fit great on the Jekyll. As to performance, I went to Big Bear today and they literally changed the character of the bike. They are an unbelieveable improvement in the loose, rocky, steep terrain at Big Bear. My brother rides the identical bike except he had a Panaracer Fire XC in front and a Hutchison Python in the back. We swapped for a run and both agreed the difference was night and day.

My only gripe is that they are a 50 durometer compound and don't look like they are going to last a long time. That said, as well as they work, I don't care. Also, they climb poorly but I can't exactly complain as they are a DH specific tire.

Highly recommended.
    What makes that tire a bad climber? Is it too heavy or do you not get adequate traction? I am looking to get a new set of tires for the very rocky South West and I am not sure which way to go.

Perpetrator of Lawsuits
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungadin
    What makes that tire a bad climber? Is it too heavy or do you not get adequate traction? I am looking to get a new set of tires for the very rocky South West and I am not sure which way to go.
    It is a DH casing wirebead tire so it is quite heavy. I definately notice a difference in the weight of the tire when on flat ground or climbs. It is also a pain in the rear to mount on my Mavic X3.1 UST wheels.

The reason it climbs poorly is that the knobs are ramped on the back side so that they will roll faster and to stabilize the knobs under braking. They are designed to bite hard for braking, and belive me they do--for DH they are an absolutely outstanding tire, but in an XC role I think you can do better. Take a look at the tire and you'll see that the knobs only bite one direction. I have found that because of that, you cannot maintain traction on techinical climbs.

I can recommend the WTB Weirwolf as an excellent choice on the Jekyll. My brother has the same bike as I and has mounted the 2.1 UST Weirwolfs on it. He feels that they are the best tire he's ever had, and he is a very seasoned rider.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It is a DH casing wirebead tire so it is quite heavy. I definately notice a difference in the weight of the tire when on flat ground or climbs. It is also a pain in the rear to mount on my Mavic X3.1 UST wheels.

The reason it climbs poorly is that the knobs are ramped on the back side so that they will roll faster and to stabilize the knobs under braking. They are designed to bite hard for braking, and belive me they do--for DH they are an absolutely outstanding tire, but in an XC role I think you can do better. Take a look at the tire and you'll see that the knobs only bite one direction. I have found that because of that, you cannot maintain traction on techinical climbs.

I can recommend the WTB Weirwolf as an excellent choice on the Jekyll. My brother has the same bike as I and has mounted the 2.1 UST Weirwolfs on it. He feels that they are the best tire he's ever had, and he is a very seasoned rider.
    Thanks, I will give those a try (WTB Weirwolf).

B_$
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I agree here, I have Weirwolf 2.5s on my Jekyll. No problems, but nothign bigger I would say.

mtbr member

WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4 (non UST) will fit...

The WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4 (non UST) will fit with some (not much though) space to spare.