Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Why? Why a Cannondale?

Went to the LBS yesterday to do some adjustments to my Rush, I know the owner and he's a nice guy overall. He doesn't sell Cannondales, just the regular Trek, etc.

Here's a part of our conversation:
    LBS: Why, why a Cannondale?
    Me: Why not.
    LBS: (Laughs) Cause they're too weird, complicated and their technology sucks.
    Me: Why do you think that?
    LBS: Well, other mfg haven't adopted the Headshock or the Lefty, if it was better than everything else you'll see those parts on other brands.
    Me: Perhaps you're right, but I really like my bike, and I don't have any complaint with the Lefty, in fact I like it better that regular forks it's so smooth.
    LBS: Wait till you have a problem with that fork, no one will be able to fix it, they're disposable.
    Me: I guess I'll take my chances then since I don't have an option.

I had this big smile inside, and couldn't help but think "God bless the ignorant". Honestly, what's going on with people? Why do they feel intimidated by Cdale? I've never said my bike is better than yours to anyone and never will, and I didn't feel offended by this guy's words, I just want to hear your experiences with other people, and I have too much free time I guess

mtbr member
    People just can't get their heads around the lefty. I get a comment nearly every time I ride my Prophet like "Where's the other half of your fork?" and every time I fall off they will blame the fork.

I think that people think the bike looks unbalanced and I guess they do look odd from the front. I tend to like qwerky designs, especially when they work so well.

Personally I like it when companies try different things and the lefty works great. Scott have their pull shocks and now Specialized are doing their own forks (not sure they are so good yet though). I think variety is good. It would be boring if every bike came with Fox forks.

It is a pity that in the UK the lefty only comes on the most expensive model now though. With a regular fork fitted the Prohet is just like every other single pivot bike (nicer weld finishing though). I'm glad I bought mine 2 years ago when they all had leftys.
    [SIZE="3"]Idlefrog[/SIZE]

2008 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Orange P7 Pro

mtbr member
    What about us Cannondale owners who aren't really interested in the Lefty? I had the Headshock in my previous Cannondale and dug it, but prefer my forks with two sexy legs. Maybe we should ask why we all like Cannondale? For me it's their solid frames pure and simple. You others? Was it really just/mainly the Lefty?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    Maybe we should ask why we all like Cannondale? For me it's their solid frames pure and simple.

x2
    Last edited by MAC4Runner; 07-10-2007 at 04:32 PM.
    MAC
    Cannondale Rush

mtbr member
    P.S. For the true DH bike I plan to get next year I'm still considering Cannondale (the Perp) because I've been a faithful customer for years, but this rig may be the first I deviate on.

LA CHÈVRE
    It's bike racism.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I got my first C'dale when I was 13 years old, it was a Super V (what a dream bike)
    Today after 15 years (people still think it's state of the art when I am riding it in my town and on the trails) I used it for XC racing and light freeride and took good care of it - it still looks like brand new (Superb Frame protection coating and finish...)

Last year i bought myself a new Prophet 2 MX and upgraded it to a uber MX1. I love the ride, no other bike manufacturer compares to C'dale but Santa Cruz and Specialized build good bikes too.

C'dales are like sports cars, when you take care of them and clean them after every ride you will have a bike for life time. I have allready 2 C'dales and the investment is one of the best investments I've ever made.

Buy a C'dale without any expectations... and get blown away by its pure hand made quality.

and additional a pic of my "one year old new baby with the saddle high for XC riding - no dh here in the city "
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    people are ignorant. and most of the people who say that have never ridden one. people just mock whats different. heck i remember using an macintosh plus back in 87 with a weird thing, a mouse. everybody said.. macs are weird. and that mouse is stupid. any time anybody is differnent people mock.... i usually say, have you ridden a lefty? they usually say no.. and i just say, try it 1st.. or just walk away.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

It just feels right

Here is my F5 purchased about a week ago

I tested many bikes before I made the choice (Trek 7.2 FX, 7.5 FX, Specialized Globe, Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc, Scott Reflex 45, Giant Yukon...)

When I get to try the Cannondale, I feel like I'm riding a tank. It's the most solid of them all bikes I've tried. I also admires the workmanship. There is no rippling on the weld bead. They actually took the extra step to grind them smooth.

My final choices are the Wahoo Disc and the Cannondale. I have to say it was a no-brainer.

mtbr member
    this is my problem frequently with LBSs.

I hear people, support your LBS, support your LBS, support your LBS. They have such a tough time... blah blah.

The problem is 1/2 of LBS suck!

Dont get me wrong, as long as I get good service and selection and knowledgeable people I will be a loyal customer....

A few weeks ago, I had a guy at a sh!+y shop tell me I should shop there since they are closer to my house. Mind you I got crap service and the guy had no knowledge and didnt have what I wanted in stock.

There are a few good LBS and I have mine....

Thats all, my rant is done..... just my $.02

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Yahoo search

There are links to cannondale factory tours on there
    CDT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urnicus
    this is my problem frequently with LBSs.

I hear people, support your LBS, support your LBS, support your LBS. They have such a tough time... blah blah.

The problem is 1/2 of LBS suck!

Dont get me wrong, as long as I get good service and selection and knowledgeable people I will be a loyal customer....

A few weeks ago, I had a guy at a sh!+y shop tell me I should shop there since they are closer to my house. Mind you I got crap service and the guy had no knowledge and didnt have what I wanted in stock.

There are a few good LBS and I have mine....

Thats all, my rant is done..... just my $.02

i agree... most shops suck. but its mainly the punk kids working there. its kinda the walmart attitude i always get. i brought my 99 cannondale F900 in, and all i got was, oh man... this is a old one. i said, its a fricken 1999. and at another bike shop, i was buying hayes disc brackets.. and they guy said, what bike is this for... cannondale. oh, your on your own. they are totally different.. i said. its a 160 rotor! its all the same.

what-ever...

just my rant......

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'll try to describe my duality, which I come to every time I think over the question as above.

Just to understand overall circumstances, I'm living in small, frustrated central european country, where even now the top-end products (not only bikes) are considered as for a kind of luxury. But the country (read nature) itself is really nice, and depsite spending a lot of my being abroad, I like it.

I started to ride the bikes some beginning 90ties on local frame, built with XT of those times, and honestly saying, biking brought me new, but pure joy of moving in mountains, but besides biking I did paragliding too, which actually led me to an accident, and stop of all sport activities for a long time.

Thenafter, 2 years ago I decide to start biking again, and in search of a bike came to my friend, which owns the LBS, although the LBS is not the closest to me. He got me 2005 Scalpel for test ride, and I loved the bike for its speed and handling from the very first moment.

Nevertheless, after few weeks of riding the threads on the seattube, where the frog link is attached to the front triangle, became damaged, and when came to country importer, it took a little while to get the replacement. I believe it was not in somebody personal fault, but just of size and therefore importance of local representative of C'dale.

But, finally I got new frame, and I rode further on. Besides Scalpel, I got Rush for testriding too, and due to its much higher comfort loved it too. And finally, when new Carbon Rush appeared publicly, I knew I must have one. In March this year, when first pieces arrived here, I was pretty lucky to get one of Si2. And, was pretty happy with riding it, until technical problems occured again. First, problems with the diameter of the seattube (loose seatpost, causing stupid creaking, but frightening me more with collapse of the seattube), thenafter recall of Si carbon cranks, thenafter recall of Lefty, thenafter quite low durability of lacquer on frame...

Assuming all those technical problems, and having the flawless experience with SC Blur LT as my second bike, I would say, I would never go for Cannondale again.

But.... My problems is, that I can apply my rational thinking only to that part of my life, which is rational too. And in that concern, biking, bringing me emotional happines is a little different, and I know, that despite all the troubles, i just love the Cannondale for its technical extraordinarity and appearance, and for its capability to reset the everyday pain into pure happiness.

Therefore, I say to all people, asking me some of those (stupid) questions - where's the second leg, why to pay so much for the bike etc...- you love it, or you hate it. But, for sure, Cannondale gives you an pure emotion, that's for sure. And, for sure, I personally love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    LBS: Well, other mfg haven't adopted the Headshock or the Lefty, if it was better than everything else you'll see those parts on other brands.
    I was always under the assumption that C'Dale held the rights to these technologies and other companies would have to pay to use them--not that they were any worse.

I like C'Dale for its commitment to the frames they produce (lifetime warranty). I also like the attention to detail of my Rush's frame: the welds; the internal cable routing on the rear swingarm; and the oversized headtube for added strength.

Plus C'Dale owners, although a loyal fan base, are not bike snobs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyPete
    Plus C'Dale owners, although a loyal fan base, are not bike snobs.

Yea, I would have to say I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from being a snob....borderline redneck / hick.

Me luv dat lefty tho

Witty Title.
    The reason you don't see a Lefty on another bike is because Cannondale hasn't sold them to any other manufacturers. My wife's crappy Manitou shock is on lots of bikes, and it's lame. So your LBS guy's logic is a little weak.

One thing is certain, most humans think different = bad.

Me, unless I can afford a locally built custom bike (eg IF, Seven) I'll stick with my "different," slightly less locally made Cannondales. I won't be buying any of their carbon ones that aren't made in the USA. Let's hope the non-Pennsylvanian-made CDales stay in the minority, or we'll be seeing more problems like Vlad described with his Carbon Rush.
    --

~bc

member, nemba.org

Unit 91
    I feel the same way about this. Based upon my signature, you can tell that I love Cannondales. Now of course, working at a shop I am going to be very biased to other companies. But honestly, I am fine with every other company except Trek. Recently (especially with there road bikes because they banked off Lance and now everyone and their mother has a Trek) I have been bashing on Trek. I dont know what it is about the company that I just dont like. Im sure since this is a Cannondale forum, you are going to hear many biased opinions in favor of Cannondale. To me, Cannondale has great technology, great customer service, and a great riding bike and I wish more people would steer away from the stereotypes that Cdales are expensive and crappy and just ride one.

Now not to head towards the topic of road bikes since this a MTB forum, but answer me this: Trek has a $10,000 road bike. Cannondale makes a System Six Team Rep with full Campy Record and Fulcrum wheels that rides like a dream for $6000. Where does that extra $4000 come from? The frame? I highly doubt it.

Sorry for the rant.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    I agree, I believe it is all relative to the quality of your LBS. I happen to have a shop that not only services lefty's, etc., but believes in the product as well. As for c-dale- snobbish is not the attitiude shown by anyone in these neck of the woods, besides, thats a personal trait, not the bikes. Love my prophet, but mostly ride my 93 chrome KV,the most beautiful bike I've owned period

mtbr member
    My only question for Cannondale is that are they truly dedicated to the fast-rising segments of FR and DH? Seems like the company focuses mostly on road bikes and XC bikes. Just curious where their future investments will be. Or will they continue to dabble in each segment (i.e. Perp for DH, Prophet for AM, Rush for XC).

mtbr member
    Ive ridden a Cdale with the lefty, it was a jyekll like 2004 i think. Anyway the lefty is great for XC becuase of it rigidity but i dont see why it's such a big improvement over a normal fork. Is it lighter or something?

Anyway, nobody would adopt the lefty for DH/FR becuase of the risk of the hub separating right? Wouldn't a double legged fork with a thru axle be more stable?

Thats just my speculation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    how many forks does your car have for each wheel?

I love my lefty. AND...lest we forget, a stick in the front spokes will not throw you over the handlebars.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RESISTANCE
    Ive ridden a Cdale with the lefty, it was a jyekll like 2004 i think. Anyway the lefty is great for XC becuase of it rigidity but i dont see why it's such a big improvement over a normal fork. Is it lighter or something?

Anyway, nobody would adopt the lefty for DH/FR becuase of the risk of the hub separating right? Wouldn't a double legged fork with a thru axle be more stable?

Thats just my speculation.

I cant answer the DH/FR question because I'm not experienced with that at all..although I think your assumption is pretty close.

As for 'Why a lefty?' here it is:

Smooth: the Lefty uses Needle Bearings instead of Bushings which amounts for way less friction inside the fork.

Stiffness: Up to 20% stiffer than leading forks with 2 stanchions

Strength: Up to 200 Pounds more impact resistance over other forks

Weight: RockShox SID World Cup (one of the most popluar hardcore cross-country racing forks) 3.10 pounds (and its only 80 mm travel....)

Lefty Speed Carbon SL: 2.72 pounds....and its 110 mm travel, 30 mm more than XC forks that weigh more.

I rest my case

But really in the end..its all about personal preference..me personally, im in love with my lefty and dont plan on ever switching back...but for some people, its just not for them
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

mtbr member
    I don't think the Lefty would apply to DH/FR and C-dale seems to agree as neither the Perp nor the Gemini are configured with one. But I think very few freeriders or downhillers pursue C-dale lately; and wonder if that'll change. Or if C-dale even cares.

mtbr member
    I do complain that Cannondale discourages you from working on Headshoks yourself. But I still love the frames.

mtbr member
    I love my cannondale. Its a 99 super v that i've been riding for a long time now. Many of my friends have gone through several bikes in the time I've had the cannondale and I'm still happy with it. When I bought it, the headshok blew away the regular forks on other bikes i tested. It still rides stiff and smooth. Not for long though, because soon it will be a long travel Uber-V with Fox suspension bits and jekyll swingarm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast