mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Why is the Rush shock mounted backwards?

I've just had the RP2 off my Rush serviced and got it back last week, I wasn't paying attention putting the bushings back in and got them round the wrong way, this means that my aircan is now at the main frame end.

It means that the rebound adjustment and propedal levers are underneath the shock, but on yesterdays ride it seemed much more comfortable and easy to use having them further forward.

Looking through the Rush pictures on here, everybody still seems to have theirs the other way round, however with a bit of research most other bikes with a frame design similar to the rush have their shocks mounted the same way I now have mine.

Just wondering If there is a reason cannondale do this and everybody seems to stick with it.

banned
    Apr 2010
    If you run it like that, you could damage the shock. Take it to your shop and demand they make it right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    How on earth would it damage the shock?

It cant foul on anything and like I say, most other manufacturers run theirs the way I have mine on this design of frame without issue, so the orientation of the shock isn't the problem!

If anything it seems to be Cannondale who fit theirs oddly.

LA CHÈVRE
    I'm not sure if it's the shock or the frame that would get damaged but with the bigger end of the shock toward the front, it can hit the frame's upper shock mount as it moves in it's stroke, or come dangerously close... The shock itself can work in any direction but it's the clearance between the shock and the frame that requires the shock's orientation...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Its no where near the frame though! Surely I'm not the first to have tried this. Just to check I've just taken some pics of it;

IMG_0679 by kieranpbennett, on Flickr

IMG_0673 by kieranpbennett, on Flickr

IMG_0675 by kieranpbennett, on Flickr

IMG_0676 by kieranpbennett, on Flickr

IMG_0674 by kieranpbennett, on Flickr

The shock only swings downwards when its compressed as well, so its never going to hit the frame. Is the Fox RP2 a bit smaller so this will work?

LA CHÈVRE
    It might depend on the shock model. I think Cannondale orients it the other to have the best clearance possible but if it doesn't come close to hit, don't bother to flip it.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I know for a fact that on my RZ120 it faces different directions depending on the frame size(it's in the manual) so you may consider at least checking into it. Small and Medium are the way yours is currently mounted, whereas large and Extra Large it is flipped. Considering that info, you may want to at least ask your LBS or email C-Dale and ask if it is OK mounted that way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My frame size is an XL, but every Rush I've seen has them backwards.

The shop didn't do this - I did, by accident I admit, but now I have it makes more sense to me as an engineer as it will very slightly reduce the unsprung weight. I'm just wondering why they normally come the other way when to me it makes more sense to have them this way round.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    When mounted with the aircan to the rear, was the adjuster knobs up? If so, this was probably done so the rider has a quick visual of the pro-pedal lever position. I, also being an engineer, prefer the aircan forward/up position for the reason of mud/dirt shedding off the working surface and not adding to the wear of the seal. The drawback is no visual on the pro-pedal lever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Clearance seems to be fine, even on a Medium, but if the shock is 'forwards' it is difficult to fit a water bottle in the frame. But you ride an XL and use a hydration pack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The problem you now have to deal with is the sticker is on upside down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Mine is mounted with the air can downwards.
    Sometines i use a water bottle. My Rush is a size L, and when i get for the water bottle the hand hits the shock, so if i run it with the air can upwards it would get dificult to remove the water bottle without hiting the propedal lever.