mtbr member

Why is my Lefty leaking here ?

The 2005 Lefty DLR2 on my Rush developed a leak earlier this season .
    I cleaned it up and it was fine for a while .
    Then this last weekend after a 24 Hr race in very dusty conditions , it showed itself again .
    The Lefty performs as normal except it ocassionaly bottoms out on compression dips that didn't affect it before .
    Air pressures are good and holding .

Mendon in 3 ...... 2 ...... 1.......

...Craig

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...Leftyleak2.jpg
    http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z.../Leftyleak.jpg

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy
    Mendon in 3 ...... 2 ...... 1.......
    Well, with a cartridge style fork, oil leaks from 3 possible locations. Bleed screw, top or bottom cartridge caps. Untill you can pull the cartridge, you won't be able to tell which.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's not necessarily a leak.

If the lockout is still working without significant play, then the damping cartridge isn't leaking.

Oil will leak out around the bottom of the boot if any oil has been dripped between the inner and outer leg, say during a service. The only problem with this is that it might wash out your bearing grease (in which case lift the boot up and re-apply grease to the bearing races)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

me too

Mine does that as well. I guess I thought it was just caused by some grease coming off the stanchion. Hmmm.

I have another problem however. After my SL was rebuilt by the Cannondale rep on the spot for the recall I developed a series of issues. Soon afterward my lefty "pinged" and all the air went out. After the rebuild it has some significant play when locked out (1/4 inch) and I can feel it slamming against something solid when hitting cracks in the pavement, unlike before when there was no movement. Also, when I pop the front wheel over obstacles I can feel it hitting the end of its stroke, also something I didn't feel before. I love Cannondale and their products, but the dismissive attitude I got from the rep, "Hmmm, don't know" with no attempt to rectify is puzzling. Especially since I've had it for only three months and it cost me $1300. Suggestions on what it might be. I love my local shop, but they've only recently begun to carry Cannondales and don't have extensive experience with leftys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    cheintz - if your lefty was in for the recent recall, then all that needed doing was an application of threadlock to where the damper screws into the lower leg.
    There is no reason for whoever did this to play with the damper itself, but that's what they have done - your movement when 'locked-out' is because the damper has air in it.

Although it could be that it has developed a leak of it's own accord.

Either way, it will be fixed by bleeding the damper cartridge (although if there is a leak then a seal somewhere will need replacing of course).

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Also, the thunk at full extension is a sign that you need to have your bearings reset. There are many threads on bearing migration, should you have questions
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

thanks

I suspected air, but am not familiar enough with the inner workings of the Lefty to have been sure. Need to make myself intimate with the thing real soon, so I can take care of these issues myself. Thanks for your suggestions.