Kanonkuglen.dk

Smile Why is my Lefty is to damm short?

Hi Guys...

I have a Lefty DLR2 wich runs super smooth but I have just one problem with it - it is just too DAMM short!
    With the fork i normal position (with 130 psi) it is only about 635 mm from bottom of the fork to the bottom of the top cap (the way to measure as Cannondale prescribes). But it should at least 20-25mm longer!

- So why is my Lefty to short? Any ideas, and what to do?

Note: By the way I should mention that I have recently reset the bearings (do this often), and can easily achive around 700 mm with the fork extended - but when it is assembled it still is to short! I also have a DLR SL also with 110 mm suspension, and it is almost 30 mm longer then my DLR2 - this is not right?

www.kanonkuglen.blogspot.com
    Got the Cannondale fewer - my cycling blog: kanonkuglen.blogspot.com

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    They have really sturdy negative springs, which pull down on the fork, shortening it. If you run a pressure which is lighter than the one prescribed for the neg spring rate in the fork, it will make it shorten up significantly. Best advice if it bugs you is get a lighter negative spring
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    In my experience, the negative springs C'dale recommend for any particular weight are still a bit firm.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i had the same prob with my speed 110 dlr2. i usually run 130psi ( i am about 170 pound with riding gear) and my fork was about 20mm too short (crown to axle was about 460mm). i upped the pressure to about 200 psi and the fork was at full length (about 480mm crown to axle). that suggested to me that the neg spring was probably just abit too stiff for my weight.

i bought a castle tool, some thicker fork oil (thought the rebound on my fork was too fast) and the lightest neg spring you can get. popped open the fork and found i had the second lightest spring installed and my fork (which was the one recommended for my weight). this is weird since i had to pump the fork to 200 psi to get it to 480mm crown to axle., i definately agree with GlenH opinion on c-dales neg spring recommendations.

did the work, which wasn't too hard, and the fork do rides at 480mm crown to axle without sag now with 130 psi.

with the lightest spring available, travel feels more linear than progressive. works fine for me and no bottoming out. i am going to try to up the pressure another 10psi but i am happy i am getting full travel now.

try upping the psi on you fork and that should give you an idea which one you have. also, are you the original owner of the fork? what size frame did you buy? the larger the frame, the heavier the neg spring.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

Kanonkuglen.dk
    Thanx everyone for the answers:-)!

Im not the original owner of the fork, (Im a 145 pound rider) and therefore the spring is also not quite the right kind for my weigth, but fortunately I have the soft (green) spring as a spare, so I will just pop that in instead - no problem:-)!
    But I will also agree with you then about Cannondales spring recommendations because the soft springs should be to soft for me - but I will certainly try it:-)! Thanks...

www.kanonkuglen.blogspot.com

Kanonkuglen.dk

Update...

Hi again everyone...

Today I replaced the spring in the fork with a green (soft) spring... tadaaaa... and that gave me about 13 mm of extra travel:-)! So now my Lefty is no longer "to damm short":-)!
    Thanks for the advice...

http://kanonkuglen.blogspot.com

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    awesome!!!

what color spring came out of the fork???

and, what color is in you other lefty??? how much do you weigh?
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

Kanonkuglen.dk
    Preinstalled in the fork was a red spring (firm), so that was way to firm for me at 145 pounds:-)!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lars_kanonkuglen
    Hi again everyone...

Today I replaced the spring in the fork with a green (soft) spring... tadaaaa... and that gave me about 13 mm of extra travel:-)! So now my Lefty is no longer "to damm short":-)!
    Thanks for the advice...

http://kanonkuglen.blogspot.com

Sweet! Glad it did as hoped
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0