Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Why isn't lefty good enough for Europe?

I was looking for a mid/low end Prophet say 3,4 or 5 since my wife has acquired my SuperV carbon. I'm a gentle rider but it doesn't mean I can't have a distinguished looking bike right. The only Euro '07 Prophet with with the lefty is the P1 at over £3,500 say $7k! Without the lefty surely its just another single pivot frs. The China thread is very interesting maybe there's a common problem at Cannondale. Do these people really know what business they want to be in?

mtbr member

Maintenance...

I Got a low end prophet and changed the fork ....read to many threads on here to want to play with a lefty, even if it is great. i don't have the time or money to fiddle, tune and maintain.....Bearing migration ffs whats that all about...lol.........get it right! and ill buy it, but it does not sound sorted yet.

mtbr member
    "Why isn't lefty good enough for Europe?"

You've got it backwards. Europe is not good enough for the Lefty!
    Last edited by jdr01930; 06-07-2007 at 06:33 PM.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Dont shoot the messenger. I want to buy one. Patriotism is great but jingoism is just putting your head in the sand.

LA CHÈVRE
    It's economics and market. Basically, bikes cost more in Europe for different reasons and to lower prices, Cannondale specs cheaper forks, that combined with a market that seems more reluctant to give the one legged wonder a chance I guess.

Lefties don't require much more maintenance and no more tuning than standard forks and are very strong and durable. I'd rather take 2 minutes to reset bearings twice a year than have a sloppy fork because bushings wear out, much faster than bearings.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    But where is the conviction in their product? There are more similarities between bikes than differences. The lefty is a unique selling point which most businesses find invaluable. BMW dont put push rod V8s in their US spec cars because thats what you guys all know/like. The price thing isn't really an issue at the moment with nearly $2 to the £.

LA CHÈVRE
    Well it's just a guess from my part. I'm sure Cannondale must have some reasons, perhaps they didn't sell well and after a few years trying to push it, decided it was better for buisness to sell a Cannondale without a Lefty than not sell a Cannondale at all.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get Rush 5,4 or Rush Carbon 3. Rush has Lefty from 5 up (only 6 has "normal" fork".
    This is what I did..and must say that Rush is great, dont miss extra 30 mm of travel.

mtbr member
    I agree with Dan Gerous : it's just because a pike is around 400 dolleuros when a lefty is 1200.... maybe also european ride in tech singles and have some enough with the lefty wich packs itself always....

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by milpat
    maybe also european ride in tech singles and have some enough with the lefty wich packs itself always....
    That's where we stop agreeing, if you tried a Lefty that packed in tech trails, it wasn't adjusted for you. The steering precision and of the Lefty is a big plus in very tech trails (and I know, most trails I ride are singletracks infested with rocks of all sizes and roots everywhere).

While the Lefty can't be for everyone like any other product, I still feel it's superior in almost every way to other forks. Lighter, stiffer, more precise, more durable, sweet travel... I can't ride standard forks anymore, everytime I do, I feel like it's made of Jell-O or that the bushings are dead...

mtbr member
    may be my english is not good enough to explain my point of vue : i've a very good fork a 140 spv "aluminium" but with a titanium coil and i had it "optimised" by the french docteur headshok who was the headshok technician of the volvo team for long years

since it's optimised, i don't lost many clearance but sometimes i need to make the "cedric gracia" operation : you lock the front wheel under your foot and pomp up to have the needles back up ; it's not a big problem but my friends who didn't have their lefty "optimised" need to do it ofently and find it's boring....

in spite of it, it's true thats the lefty needs less maintenance rather others forks

mtbr member

That's one heck of an off-camber climb!

LA CHÈVRE
    sometimes i need to make the "cedric gracia" operation : you lock the front wheel under your foot and pomp up to have the needles back up ; it's not a big problem but my friends who didn't have their lefty "optimised" need to do it ofently and find it's boring....
    That's not normal and I never seen anyone having to do that. Maybe you do not have enough preload on the bearings so you get lightning fast bearing migration. The preload can be tuned by thickening the races the bearings roll onto. Too much preload makes travel much less smooth but without much migration, too little preload makes travel butter smooth but with faster migration. When properly preloaded, you get smooth travel and acceptable migration rate. I have to reset the bearings maybe twice a year on mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Wouldn't it be a "Righty" in Europe?
    2007 Cannondale Rush 5

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bruejam_db
    Wouldn't it be a "Righty" in Europe?
    Nah, only in the UK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    That's not normal and I never seen anyone having to do that..
    Cedric Gracia used to do it and it's a simple way to get the needles back if you ride hard.... or bad

LA CHÈVRE
    Cedric Gracia used to do it and it's a simple way to get the needles back if you ride hard.... or bad
    Je ne l'ai jamais vu faire ca mais bon, j'imagine que c'est normal quand tu roules comme Cedric, il 'bottom out' ses fourches regulierement en atterissant de ses sauts et c'est surtout au 'bottom out' que les roulements migrent...

Sorry for the french, I was just saying the more you bottom out, the more the bearings will migrate and the way Cedric sometimes ride, he bottoms out his forks quite often.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    may be my english is not good enough to explain my point of vue :
    Milpat - votre anglais est excellent, mon opinion. Probablement mieux que mon francais...

I was in France a few months ago, (Claremont-Ferrand). Didn't get a chance to rent a MTB. Too bad for me.

7hz
    Old newbie
    Lol

You know why we drive on the left in the UK? It comes from defending yourself or greeting someone (done with the right hand if you are right handed) in ye olde days. The USA changed to the right because of some horse drawn haulage or something... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving..._left_or_right

Anyway, I am in Europe, and got a headshok instead of a lefty. The difference in price was £150 (about $300) between the headshok bike and the lefty bike.

I chose the headshok for a few reasons:

* Cheaper by £150
    * Looks more balanced
    * Lighter by 450 grams approx
    * 80mm travel felt enough foir a hardtail
    * No special hubs or wheel construction for the front wheel

I have to say I am super happy so far with the headshok. It just works, feels very controlled and really isn't that noticeable until I lock it. The larger travel bikes I have tried hardtail with 120mm travel or whatever feels like I am going over the handlebars. I haven't tried a lefty and I am sure it is a great fork (non-fork? is it even called that? Just shock?) but I felt that it was just overkill for what I wanted (a light XC bike). In a couple of years, I am telling myself (if I am good!) I can buy a full suspension bike, and may look at a C/dale lefty then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    hi there, I am from Europe and I don't understand,why the lefty isn't more popular over here. My bike is a rush 600 with some upgrades and I am really happy with the lefty....it's a great fork. I the cannondale guys are trying to boost their sales in Europe - fair enough....
    but at least they should give customers the chance to decide if they want to have a lefty or a " normal" fork.....a C'dale without lefty or fatty looks strange to me.....

mtbr member
    The Brits go for whatever is fashionable, they all want RS Pikes.
    Lefty is immediately dismissed because it looks weird, it is usually slated by folk that have never tried it either!

I love my lefty and it's a peice of p1ss to maintain.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    in the u.k its very trendy to ride fox rockshox ,and uber fashionable to ride pace,ive tried em all and think the lefty wins hands down,if people dont like the look of the lefty,so what i do and so do most of you guys.,and the lefty is still a geat talking point ,uh one leg .and your point is.mr rockfox.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Lefty always,

easy to maintain

strong

light

nuff said

Cannondale Europe is a separate company though and they spec the bikes for what their markets want.
    In Europe, they love to transport bikes on the roof for some weird reason and this makes LEfty harder to transport.

Then there's the I don't want to be diffierent mentality..

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    In Europe, they love to transport bikes on the roof for some weird reason and this makes LEfty harder to transport.

Then there's the I don't want to be diffierent mentality..
    Not an excuse, I always transport my bikes on the roof. And with more thru-axle front ends, all the standard fork manufacturers are releasing proprietary attachements for their thru-axle forks, standard quick release forks will become less common as people find out stiffer hub interfaces are better... But I don't mind if people are affraid of what they don't know, I don't dislike being different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast