Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Why did you choose Cannondale ?

There's a lot of other brands out there, why Cannondale ?

FIRENZE rulez !!
    for the heart

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

I just signed papers for my first real engineering job and did some celebratory bike testing. Rode a 2006 Scalpel because I always found the Lefty interesting. Had to have it. My 2009 F29er was coincidence because I was thinking about trying a 29er and the cycling team at my alma mater had Cannondale do a bunch of frames in their paint scheme so I built one. My 2012 Scalpel was when I ran across a crazy cheap leftover Carbon 1.

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Why C'dale ?

Scalpel....the fastest XC bike on the planet.
    Lefty....the best XC fork on the planet.

Opinion credentials. lol
    Been racing and riding XC bikes for over 22yrs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Is it true that among entry level MTB hardtail, Cannondale frame is the lightest ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    For me, i live within an hour of the now closed Bedford PA plant, i always admired their engineering(especially the Lefty) and craftsmanship and I wanted a USA made bike. I currently have an 09 Rize and an 02 Jeckyll. I have newer bikes from other makers but these two bikes are special to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gat3keeper View Post
    Is it true that among entry level MTB hardtail, Cannondale frame is the lightest ?
    Once upon a time, Yes. Today, sadly i don't think so. in my opinion that is.
    I dont know the weight on the entry level models of he other manufacturers but i do know this one:

TRAIL SL 29ER 4

and it is really heavy.
    got this one (in green size small) for the Girlfriend and while its better than the Diamondback it replace it is not up to my standard for what a Cannondale should be.

not as light as the older frames like my: '94 Delta-V, '97 Killer-V, 2009 Bad boy, its heavier than my 2007 Prophet (with 650b's), heavier than the '06 Rush i used to have (and those are full suspension) we just got her a used Prophet and will be selling this Tank of a cannondale. Does Cannondale still make Good bikes? Yes. but for the entry level they are on the heavy side. More so than they should be. but then again we are talking Entry here and that's an interpretable category.

mtbr member
    There's a lot of other brands out there, why Cannondale ?
    Because i fell in love with it. The Lefty's, the headshok's, the frame styles. (Delts/Killer-V type) i just love 'um. they are my thing. So if you can find that is a bike, no matter what name is painted on it, than that is the bike for you. and for me, it is cannondale.

mtbr member
    2005 Cannondale Prophet - Made in Bedford (I'm a PA boy) and quality craftsmanship, man those welds are nice. My new bikes aren't cannondale, but back when they had heart there's nothing that could beat a 'dale.

IMO they aren't special anymore except for the lefty.

LA CHÈVRE
    Loved what they did in the 90's, the Headshok was 35 times stiffer and more precise than any suspension back then (Girvin Vector and Amp research were not bad but not perfect). That gap has shrunk, but the Headshok and then the Lefty, even today still have the upper end as far as stiffness, precision, stiffness-to-weight is concerned, they make other suspension forks feel wrong.

After that seeing all the innovation Cannondale has continued to pionneer or improve by huge margins over the years (alloy frames, replacable derailleur hangers, oversized headtubes and BBs, zero pivots rear suspension, 2x9 transmission back in the days of triple, tube shaping/manipulation and layup when carbon arrived to provide excellent confort in such stiff and efficient frames...) kept me hooked but Cannondale have also always been masters of bike geometries (on and off road), the bikes just always felt just right to me.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I chose them after watching a show at work on one of the free HD channels(I sold tvs)

I was a tour of the factory and all about the lefties and when they were hand making the carbon frames. I liked that the lefty was different, They seemed to be a company that pushed past the "norm" of the industry.

Im happy with my decision, but there is some other bikes I would love to try but im hesitant, as I have only really ridden a Lefty and dont want to Downgrade.

Oh, and the lifetime warranty on the frame!

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Loved what they did in the 90's, the Headshok was 35 times stiffer and more precise than any suspension back then (Girvin Vector and Amp research were not bad but not perfect). That gap has shrunk, but the Headshok and then the Lefty, even today still have the upper end as far as stiffness, precision, stiffness-to-weight is concerned, they make other suspension forks feel wrong.

After that seeing all the innovation Cannondale has continued to pionneer or improve by huge margins over the years (alloy frames, replacable derailleur hangers, oversized headtubes and BBs, zero pivots rear suspension, 2x9 transmission back in the days of triple, tube shaping/manipulation and layup when carbon arrived to provide excellent confort in such stiff and efficient frames...) kept me hooked but Cannondale have also always been masters of bike geometries (on and off road), the bikes just always felt just right to me.
    That last thing is a big deal for me. For whatever reason, cannondales feel right. Trek, GF, Specialized, Pivot, etc just don't feel as natural.

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the smooth aluminum weld! This got me sold to cannondale back in 2005 when i was shopping for a new bike. It shows quality and dedication to frame building. Then the lefty fork, period.

Cannondale celebrates Lefty's 15th birthday - BIKE Magazine

mtbr member
    Most of the guys that gave their opinion were like me talking until 2010 , cdale since then stoped on the inovation , they have simply redesigned the jekyll, redesigned the trigger 29er to 27,5 platform , the fsi is a redesign of f29 with some changes , the unique bike with a nice design is the synapse , since they moved overseas they are decreasing on design , inovation , the quality of the weld termination on the alloy frames has decreased in a huge way , comparing an us made with a taiwanese frame is scaring , i dont understand how you decrease quality in the frames as they do , perhaps Dorel wants to make huge profits but its not possible to ask the same or highest prices for such poor quality , if they dont took other way or make some good inovation , they will continue to loosing clients because i think that they already lost a good percentage since they gone overseas , i dont know anyone who buys a brand because of their premium quality and see a decrease in quality and stays happy or dont change of brand ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I test rode 10 bikes ( also full sus ) and only liked the 2013 Carbon Flash 2. I did not even have a close second. It was 1st for Cannondale and the other 9 were all 10th place.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

I only miss/love the Cannondale of 1998-2006...

~ Headshok
    ~ 6000-Series Aluminum alloy(Optimo)
    ~ Hollowgram BB30
    ~ Cool line of clothing(Sugoi)
    ~ Those stout, smooth welds
    ~ Racing Pedigree
    ~ Innovation

I still keep my immaculate, CAAD4 2001 Bad Boy Ultra, as a testament to what a GREAT company Cannondale once was....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    It's just me? Reading this thread had me a notion that Cannondale "used" to be a good brand ?

hmm....

It's just me? Reading this thread had me a notion that Cannondale "used" to be a good brand ?

hmm....
    Yeah, Bedford, PA-based Cannondale was at the forefront of bike innovation and technology, with Made in USA, handmade everything, etc. Once they sold out to Dorel in 2009.....I am no longer "Feeling It."

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I first got a 'Dale in 1989 I bought a SM700 frame and fitted it with the parts I had and some new stuff.

So why did I buy it?

Light, stiff looked cool, and was surprisingly cheap (the frames went up in price by GBP100 the month after I got it)

Since then I have owned 4 other dales and still have 2 in my garage

mtbr member
    For me it started sometime in 1999. I had this issue of Machine Design on on the cover was a Raven with a Lefty and an article about it. At the time I wasn't even into biking but I rad the article and thought it was really interesting. I still have the issue too. But months later when I was getting a physical the Dr. recommended I should get some exercise. So I thought getting a mountain bike would be a good way to do it as I hate gyms and thought road biking was too dangerous. I did have an old Panasonic road bike from the 80's.

So I started bike shopping, at first looking at the discount stores but I soon realized I would have to go shopping at bike shops. So after hitting a few shops I came to a place that had Cannondales. Si I wound up getting a 2000 SuperV700SX.

Last Oct. I bought a 2015 Scalpel 29 Carbon 3. But what got me into that was a warranty claim on the old bike. The rear swing arm cracked so they gave me 40% off on a new bike. (There's a whole thread about that in this forum).I also now have a replacement swing arm for the old bike which I am going to install soon.

LA CHÈVRE
    Oh boy, here we go again!

I guess we each have our own definition of 'innovative'. Being made in the US has nothing to do with it. Just look at the F-Si, there has not been a hardtail as innovative in years but since it's made in Asia (even more handmade than US-made Cannondales were), it's not innovative? Just the geometry alone is one of the most ground-breaking thing to have happened to 29ers (even before considering the asymetric rear end).

I understand people wishing jobs were kept in the US, a certain pride to it, but don't confuse it with innovation and quality. Asian have proven they had superior manufacturing abilities and (most) Americans have shown corporations they mostly don't care where and who makes their stuff.

mtbr member
    Asian workers may have superior abilities but the alloy frames , that were the image of the company of last 30 years are horrible , you must respect the opinion of people , most of us does not have "deals " with the brand , most of cdale clients were identified with the us made and the quality in most of their products , for some people is important to know that when you buy a high end quality product , its supposed to have one soul , in nowadays we buy several products with a logo or a name but it doesnt exist , lets be fair , cdale is now only a brand that design a few things , the rest is made by some freelancers and all is produced in china,taiwan etc , they had the respect in the industry because they were different ,genuine , now is just another brand :fsi is a copy of trek g2 gometry , and the assymetric frames and design already exists , the lefty 2.0 is a supermax , if this is inovation ...

Quote Originally Posted by cannondaleportugal View Post
    Asian workers may have superior abilities but the alloy frames , that were the image of the company of last 30 years are horrible , you must respect the opinion of people , most of us does not have "deals " with the brand , most of cdale clients were identified with the us made and the quality in most of their products , for some people is important to know that when you buy a high end quality product , its supposed to have one soul , in nowadays we buy several products with a logo or a name but it doesnt exist , lets be fair , cdale is now only a brand that design a few things , the rest is made by some freelancers and all is produced in china,taiwan etc , they had the respect in the industry because they were different ,genuine , now is just another brand :fsi is a copy of trek g2 gometry , and the assymetric frames and design already exists , the lefty 2.0 is a supermax , if this is inovation ...
    Original Cannondale in Pennsylvania(Steel town) had easy access to the finest, Aerospace-grade alloys from PA neighbor ALCOA. Yes, it was pricey....but Cannondale aluminum bikes back then was epitome of materials superiority and unsurpassed in handmade construction, weight and tensile strength. Period.....

LA CHÈVRE
    I respect opinions... and perhaps we don't see products the same way. To me though, Cannondales have never been as good, it really depends what each of us are looking for in a bike.

mtbr member
    Perhaps aluminium was not cheap ,perhaps the handmade construction was not cheap , and now the prices are increasing every year and were is the real quality on the materials and on the weld termination , if they were inteligent they had continue to produce the alloy frames in US and the carbon in china ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast