Ridin' many miles...

Why is CODA stuff so maligned?

Why is it that the coda components have been so poorly regarded by many bikers in this and other forums, and in general? C'Dale used to fit it's bikes with coda stuff, but it's all other name brand stuff now.

I'm talking about the cranks, rims, brakes, bars, etc.

Is it bad marketing, or is it that a few bad apples (brakes?) tarnished the whole line?

I know about the bad rap the coda expert hydro brakes got because there were many problems with them, but personally, I had few problems with them. I recently re-fitted my jekyll with a new rear coda expert hydro and it is working fantastically. It was given to me by someone who didn't like them. I have no idea why, but I feel like I got a helluva deal!

What about the rims?

Cranks?

Handle bars?

?

Are they heavy?

Do they break?

Or is it just perception, bad marketing, or name brand snobbery?
    Ride dangerously. Take chances.

mtbr member

coda

Why is CODA stuff so maligned?
    --because it sucks!

Sorry couldn't resist my experience with it (on my bike and others as i worked at a shop) is that it is just not quality. i am wondering what you tried in the past regarding brakes. my coda experts were my first set of disc brakes, and i didn't think they were so bad. a month or so later i started working at a shop and tried something else-----then i knew just how bad they were. i was able to ride a lot faster and more aggresively without the coda's

as far as handlebars, wheelset, post and such---they tend to be heavy (wheels feel "dead" too) the crankset rings wear out fast and it's flexy

my advice to you is run your coda stuff if your happy until it wears out and then replace it with something else ( i recomend marta or juicy brakes--race face next lp crankset, ect...) you WILL notice a big difference when you end up upgrading

just my $.02---hope this helps
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2004

I agree with mtbykr

I have to agree with mtbykr. From experience in the shop I have seen so many poor quality Coda parts. I also hear the guys ,who have been working in the bike business for way longer than I have, always tell me nothing but bad stuff about Coda parts over the years. Plain and simple, from experience, in my opinion, Coda parts were never high quality, nice looking or smooth operating.

LA CH»VRE
    The only Coda part I loved (and still as I put it my other, newer bikes) is the Coda 900 saddle. Maybe my butt just got used to it or something but even with the creaking sounds, it's the most confortable saddle I ever put my behind on. And it's quite light too.

Cranks? Still run it on my 6 years old F1000 but the rings got bent quite easily in the first few rides. Hubs were DT Hugi made, they're OK, just got to change bearings every now and then. The handlebar I have is quite heavy but doing its job still.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Saddles are a funny thing and this proof that all bums are not created equally. The Coda saddle I have was absolutely the most uncomfortable saddle I have ever had the displeasure to try to sit on. To me, the devil himself couldnít have it any more painful. I describe it as Ďevilí. I wouldnít give it to someone I mildly disliked, I would have to really hate them to let them ride on that thing. JMHO.

Their hydraulic disc brakes seem to have been the final nail in the Coda coffin. Their problems are well documented and originally offering them with the 4 bolt pattern rotors didnít help matters. I didnít have any real issues with the Coda cranks that came on my bike except that replacement rings are hard to come by and I couldnít find a 20 tooth granny to fit mine and now have Race Face Turbines with a 20t granny.

LA CH»VRE
    I replaced the Coda chainrings with stronger altough much heavier Shimano rings without problems.

As for the saddle, everyone can send them to me so I don't have to switch saddle everytime I ride a different bike. I just hope you don't hate me guys. My absolute worst saddle ever is the one that came with my Fisher Cake, the Titec Ithys: major OUCH!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I don't hate you enough to send you that saddle, unless you're into that sort of thing.

Seriously, you can have it if you want to pay the freight, but don't say I didn't warn you. It is the CODA Performance saddle with the kevlar reinforcement on the back.

LA CH»VRE
    I wasn't that serious, I think the cost for shipping up here in Canada would be more than the value of the saddle itself, thanks anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Peformance My!

Rode a Coda saddle only once. Was in so much pain it was unbelivable. I went to the bike shop to complain about the saddle. The bike shop guy told me it was "a high performance saddle". I told him that he had to be kidding because whit this saddle I could not perform. Coda saddle are disfuntional and painfull.

LA CH»VRE
    Well it seems we have different shaped butts! I can stay seated for hours on mine.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Well it seems we have different shaped butts!
    Hey, how 'bout them Yankees???

mtbr member

uh ohhh

Hey, how 'bout them Yankees???

[SIZE=5]"You tell em we're coming, and hell's coming with us!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]