Dirt Whore

Who is taking big drops on there Prophets?

I ran into some free riders today who were launching off of some pretty big stunts and rocks.

They were pretty cool and showed me around since I was not very familiar with the trails. when i mentioned that i wasn't quite at there level for the drops they were taking they said "well not on that bike" pointing at my Prophet 600. I have been hitting some smaller rocks (2 foot drops) I thought perhaps the bike could take some bigger hits. So is anyone taking some big hits with there prophet?

a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
    One of the trail I frequent has about a 5 ft huck that I take at speed - no problem. The landing is soft with a good transition though. I've hit it a couple dozen times. It's not a free-ride bike. It's a trail bike that can do some light free-ride stuff. To me that means my 5 footer is it. I don't think I would like to go any bigger than that regardless of what my bike can handle. Then again, I'm a Clyde at 210.
    "Life sucks, get a fu*king helmet, okay?" - Dennis Leary

mtbr member
    The biggest I'll go to drop onto flat is maybe 4' . I have done some jumping off this very large grass bluff to a dirt tranny. I measured from edge to the landing and the farthest I went was about 11'. It was super smooth and steep.

mtbr member

I said it before...the Prophet is not a true FR bike

I have a 600 that I have taken off 5 footers. Nothing broken....yet.

If you have ever owned a true FR bike, you will appreciate the Prophet for what it truly is....an agressive trail bike that can take a little more abuse than your typical XC bike.

I also have a Gemini that is built for drops at 42 pounds. I would never take my Prophet off the same lines as my Gemini.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro K
    I ran into some free riders today who were launching off of some pretty big stunts and rocks.

They were pretty cool and showed me around since I was not very familiar with the trails. when i mentioned that i wasn't quite at there level for the drops they were taking they said "well not on that bike" pointing at my Prophet 600. I have been hitting some smaller rocks (2 foot drops) I thought perhaps the bike could take some bigger hits. So is anyone taking some big hits with there prophet?

LA CHÈVRE
    Of course a 5.25 lbs frame can't be as strong as a true freeride bike. Also look at the components they put on the bikes, very XC. It's definitly not a freeride bike but as most of you know already, the Prophet is a wonderful trailbike that has a wider range of use than a typical trail bike. At one extreme, it can handle light freeride duty and at the other, you can XC race this bike!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro K

You need a true Freeride bike to take really big hits. I seriously doubt a Prophet can last doing the drops like the ones in the attached video. Excuse the washed out look of the video. Vish has a new video camera and accidentally push the wrong button.

Right click and save:

http://www.thevishfiles.com/thevishfiles5.wmv

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't have a prophet but I ride my Jekyll pretty agressively. I live in Vancouver and I ride primarily on the shore and whistler and haven't had any problems. I did break the original elevated swingarm but those were known to break. I ended getting a new frame on warranty. I don't do huge drops but I would say average for around here and I am on my third summer of riding at whistler which is mostly jumps with smooth transitions. I have my bike set up with a PIKE and 2.5 tires all around. I might get a Prophet, I kind of like the steeper head angle compared to the Gemini and really don't need all that travel if you are a smooth rider.