mtbr member

Who has replaced their Radium shock?

Hi,

I have been contemplating replacing the Radium shock on my P600 with something a bit more sophisticated.

Who has done this already and was has the result been like?

I saw that Direcktor has put a Fox DHX Air on his which looks very cool.

I have seen a good deal on a 5th Element coil shock. Has anyone got any experience with these on a Prophet? I have read some mixed reviews about them.

I would like to hear about other peoples plans for their shocks.

Cheers

Andrew

mtbr member

replacing radium

I will replace my Radium...(someday), because I need something more plush that lets me feel the entire 5" of travel. The Radium makes travel feel more like 2-3" in my opinion.

Saw someone with a Romic coil on their 600 and they said it felt great.

I have a DHX 5.0 (coil) on my Gemini and I love it. The air version would probably feel great on the Prophet, but just make sure there is proper clearance for the huge reservoir.

I test rode the 4000 with the Swinger 3 way, and I thought it felt just as bad as the Radium. I never was a Manitou guy...I'll be looking at Fox first, then maybe a 5th element.

Just my $.02

I have been contemplating replacing the Radium shock on my P600 with something a bit more sophisticated.

Who has done this already and was has the result been like?

I saw that Direcktor has put a Fox DHX Air on his which looks very cool.

I have seen a good deal on a 5th Element coil shock. Has anyone got any experience with these on a Prophet? I have read some mixed reviews about them.

I would like to hear about other peoples plans for their shocks.

Cheers

Andrew[/QUOTE]

Poser
    In my opinion, Fox is way ahead of Manitou in the rear shock dept....at the moment.

Both my RP3 and DHX display a lack of stiction that makes the Radium rediculous by comparison.

a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
    I'd stay far away from the 5th's... I hear bad things about them.
    "Life sucks, get a fu*king helmet, okay?" - Dennis Leary

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by direktor
    In my opinion, Fox is way ahead of Manitou in the rear shock dept....at the moment.

Both my RP3 and DHX display a lack of stiction that makes the Radium rediculous by comparison.
    From reading around my shortlist has become the RP3 & the DHX air. Direktor, seeing as you have both, is it possible you give me an idea of how the two differ please.

As far as I can tell, the DHX air isn't available in the UK yet.

Cheers

Andrew

Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by Idlefrog
    From reading around my shortlist has become the RP3 & the DHX air. Direktor, seeing as you have both, is it possible you give me an idea of how the two differ please.

As far as I can tell, the DHX air isn't available in the UK yet.

Cheers

Andrew
    RP3: Traditional air shock progressiveness (although it ramps up far less than previous generation air shocks). 3 position ProPedal is nice and very useful...I put it on heavy ProPedal for the climb and lightest for the decent. Overall feeling is very plush if you're used to air shocks like the previous generation Float or a Swinger. Comparing it to a coil is a little much, but when I had a coil Swinger on my Prophet, and the RP3 on my new 575, the 575 felt more "coil-like", which I know is a ridiculous statement. I've already decided I had the wrong spring-rate on the Swinger (although I did have the right sag).

DHX Air: All of the same qualities of the RP3 as compared to the shocks mentioned above, except even more so. The progressiveness can be set to something similar to the RP3, the the other end where it's much more linear than the RP3. I heard somewhere that the DHX Air is intended to be used on bikes that would normally have a coil, and I'd say so far that they've made something that could do that. It also has about 15 clicks of Propedal adjustement over a wider range than the RP3.

Square-edged bumps at high speed on the DHX are amazing...it's almost like they don't exist...wish my fork worked as well.

Overall, my opinion is that Fox has an edge up on the other manus these days when it comes to air shock stiction...the RP3 and DHX Air feel like they have little or none compared to others I've tried. This problem was exaggerated with the high pressures I have to run because of my weight...no such problem on the Foxes.

With that said, I'd be very surprised if Manitou and Progressive stay behind for very long...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I have a 5th air on mine, and it is far superior to the Swinger it came with. Not sure what negatives people are having, mine is fantastic, far plusher, nice firm platform, oooh, I get chills=