mtbr member

Wheelset/Tire Recommendations for Prophet

OK so I've ended up keeping my Prophet. Long story short, almost got scammed (via here on MTBR), so decided against selling it. Would like to upgrade my stock wheelset (Prophet 6, so cheap crap) for something strong yet light. Any recommendations? I use this bike for all mountain; up/down, small drops, pounding over rocks, etc. No pure DH naturally. But no 30 mile XC runs either. Will also be swapping out for 2.35 tires (Cannondale stuck 2.25s on my bike). Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Crossmax ST

Mavic Crossmax ST would fit, stiff and light and black! These would look great on your Prophet.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Industry 9 AM's, with a nice set of Conti's, you'll be happier than a proverbial pig in the poo
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Drink...sleep
    I'd go for the DT Swiss EX 5.1, it's a great all mountain rim, and handbuilt with DT Comp and Hope Pro2 hubs (and alu nipps to save a bit of weight) makes for a very strong, pretty light and not too expensive wheelset. Btw, personally I wouldn't recommend DT XR 4.2d rims; busted two of them, not even riding all that extreme (well, just about the riding you described). Wouldn't recommend Mavic wheelsets either, quite expensive for what they offer, especially as their rear hub isn't the greatest.

mtbr member
    I've gone down a similar route with my Prophet 400, more the FR setting than the XC. I went for a set of hope hoops. Hope Pro II hubs and DT Swis 5.1 rims. Strong, decent weight and a great noise.

As for tyres I'm mixing the stock WTB's with a maxxis larsen tt on the back when it's dry to allow the rear to break so that I can get used to drifting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks, boys. Am leaning towards the I9s. Competitive Cyclist has them paired with either DT 4.2 or 5.1 rims; recommendations?

Check out George Ryan's Prophet with the I9/DT combo:

Last edited by Kevin G; 10-25-2007 at 01:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Don't get DT 4.2 rims for a Prophet, I've them in my Rush and while I like their quality better than Mavic sometimes I feel like they're close to their limit, they're flexy. I don't jump anything over 2' and I'm 176 lbs w/o riding gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    Don't get DT 4.2 rims for a Prophet, I've them in my Rush and while I like their quality better than Mavic sometimes I feel like they're close to their limit, they're flexy. I don't jump anything over 2' and I'm 176 lbs w/o riding gear.
    Go for the 5.1d, I'm 200 lbs in my without armour, full face and 3 litres of water. Mine have been fine for 4x and fast rocky descending in the Pyrenees and Wales. Had them checked after the last trip and they were straight, true and tight.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    Am leaning towards the I9s.Competitive Cyclist has them, recommendations?
    Yep, buy them from your LBS

I'm pretty sure, not 100%, that CC only has them in stock configurations, and the nice thing with I9's is geting exactly what you want, cause it's a lot of dough for a wheelset. I've sold a number of sets, and everyone has agreed, it's worht the 6 to 8 weeks, cause they are just what you ordered, not someone elses wheels out of a back room somewhere. Kinda like a custom frame, only cheaper. One different colored spoke by the valve for easy ID, faded colors, color schemes to match you bike (there's a few Rastas floating around), etc. Have fun!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Cannondale Snob
    You might like the Mavic Crosslands. I've run them on my Rush and while I don't DH it I catch air just about everywhere I can. They've stayed true throughout the abuse. They're pretty cheap and not overly heavy; my Rush 1000 weighs in between 26 and 27 lbs.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Recently I've replaced stock wheels in my prophet 400 with mavic ex729 on xt hubs (custom built by merlin cycles). I'm using relatively wide tires (Nobby Nics 2.4) and I'm impressed with improvement in traction. ex729 are littbe bit on heavy side but I'm convinced it was worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Prophet
    Go for the 5.1d, I'm 200 lbs in my without armour, full face and 3 litres of water. Mine have been fine for 4x and fast rocky descending in the Pyrenees and Wales. Had them checked after the last trip and they were straight, true and tight.
    Yeah, go for the 5.1, they should fit the Prophet better.

I ride in rocky area and the 4.2 stay true but I can feel the flex.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've been running my I9's with the 5.1's since April on my Prophet, and they've proven to be a stiff and durable combo. Lots of rocks and wet roots and only had to touch them up once. Even grenaded a r der into the wheel and it only bent 1 spoke.

Also, the customer service from the guys at I9 has been awesome in my experience

mtbr member
    Sweet - did you order from your LBS?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I did order from my LBS. It took almost 8 weeks to get them but was well worth it. The other I9 benefit is rear hub engagement. It is almost instant.