mtbr member

New question here. Wheels for the lefty

I am currently running the stock cannondale hubs laced to 223 disc wheels on my 02 jekyll. I don't have the money for crossmax's , but is there a wheel that would be recommended, has anyone ran the spinergies, i understand you can get them onsale at decent prices. Also i was thinking of just buying a better rear wheel and then either having the front hub set with a stronger rim, or would it be better to just go to the woodman?

thanks

Are you talking to me?

woodman or Si.

Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    I am currently running the stock cannondale hubs laced to 223 disc wheels on my 02 jekyll. I don't have the money for crossmax's , but is there a wheel that would be recommended, has anyone ran the spinergies, i understand you can get them onsale at decent prices. Also i was thinking of just buying a better rear wheel and then either having the front hub set with a stronger rim, or would it be better to just go to the woodman?

thanks
    Have a stronger rim laced to a Si or Woodman hub. That is what I did. (I am currently 230lb)

I sold a set of Spinergy Lefty wheels last year, and the fellow is pleased. He is about 145lb and a xc rider. Man, that wheelset is light.
    gfy

mtbr member

Please no Spinergy's!!

I started with the c-dale hub, then i got a great deal on a Spinergy Xyclone lefty ( i worked at a shop then) it was a great wheel -- for almost a week! during a ride on a routine local trail that we ride a few times a week:

I came around a corner and had to stop quick because a recent storm had knocked down a big tree in the trail. i locked up the brakes and next thing i know i am over the handlebars. the xyclone folded in half. so after walking out and driving back to the shop i called spinergy--i had quite a time trying to get a hold of someone to help me, but after a week of calling i got a hold of someone. i told him what happened, and bear in mind i have never done anything like this before OR ridden this wheel hard! He said that the Xyclone is not meant to be locked up and that if you lock your brakes you void the warrenty!! All because of the way the wheel is designed with the propriatary fiber spoke.

anyway the shop doesn't carry spinergy anymore and i ended up getting a woodman hub laced to a mavic rim and it's great. Get your set built by dave at speeddream wheel's and you can't go wrong

Sorry it's long, but i hope it helps
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

Are you talking to me?

That solves that discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr
    I started with the c-dale hub, then i got a great deal on a Spinergy Xyclone lefty ( i worked at a shop then) it was a great wheel -- for almost a week! during a ride on a routine local trail that we ride a few times a week:

I came around a corner and had to stop quick because a recent storm had knocked down a big tree in the trail. i locked up the brakes and next thing i know i am over the handlebars. the xyclone folded in half. so after walking out and driving back to the shop i called spinergy--i had quite a time trying to get a hold of someone to help me, but after a week of calling i got a hold of someone. i told him what happened, and bear in mind i have never done anything like this before OR ridden this wheel hard! He said that the Xyclone is not meant to be locked up and that if you lock your brakes you void the warrenty!! All because of the way the wheel is designed with the propriatary fiber spoke.

anyway the shop doesn't carry spinergy anymore and i ended up getting a woodman hub laced to a mavic rim and it's great. Get your set built by dave at speeddream wheel's and you can't go wrong

Sorry it's long, but i hope it helps
    In my mind, anyways. If they are not going to hook up a shop rat like myself, forget it.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    gfy

mtbr member

You got it!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Now granted i don't work at a shop anymore, but everyone i ride with will never buy a spinergy wheelset again (road or Mt) The guys that were with me when it happened were floored and figured it was a defect and i would have a new wheel soon!

Customer Service goes a long way -- especially for the guys that are selling your products in the field. Everyone knows that generally speaking, whatever the guys in the shop ride, ends up being the majority of their market. When i go into a shop now, i go with what they are using and recomend (well that and this forum)

Sorry that this is long, but it's been bugging me for a while and i don't want it to happen to anyone else! They guys at woodman were great, give them a call and they will tell you what they think will be the best set up for your bike, weight, and ride style!

Damion -- what is your reg main on your woodman???

Thanks again!
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    thanks, I think i'll wait and buy some new brakes, and buy a non spinergy wheelset, that way i don't have to pay for 4 bolt rotors for the new brakes.

Are you talking to me?

What is what?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Now granted i don't work at a shop anymore, but everyone i ride with will never buy a spinergy wheelset again (road or Mt) The guys that were with me when it happened were floored and figured it was a defect and i would have a new wheel soon!

Customer Service goes a long way -- especially for the guys that are selling your products in the field. Everyone knows that generally speaking, whatever the guys in the shop ride, ends up being the majority of their market. When i go into a shop now, i go with what they are using and recomend (well that and this forum)

That is exactly what I meant. I also work at a shop, and we have no tolerance for that kind of CS.

Sorry that this is long, but it's been bugging me for a while and i don't want it to happen to anyone else! They guys at woodman were great, give them a call and they will tell you what they think will be the best set up for your bike, weight, and ride style!

Damion -- what is your reg main on your woodman???

Thanks again!
    I do not own a Woodman hub, but I have seen a few. They are sweet.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Does woodman make a rear hub too? I've only seen the fronts in pictures, and your right they look awesome.

Are you talking to me?

Lots of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    Does woodman make a rear hub too? I've only seen the fronts in pictures, and your right they look awesome.
    www.woodmancomponents.com is the site. Lots of godies. 2 Lefty hubs, 1 for DH/FR applications in 36 hole if you want.
    gfy