mtbr member
    Jun 2012

wheels with better stiffness than Stan's ZTR Arch 29er?

I'm thinking about replacing Stan's ZTR Arch 29er on Scalpel 29er Carbon 2 with something that has better stiffness / less flex.

Would Mavic CrossMax SLR 29er 2013 do the job? Or CrossMax ST 29, with +4 spokes?

I think both DT Swiss Super Comp spokes and ZTR Arch 29er contribute to flex problem, but I am not *certain* CrossMax would be much better. Cannot ride them before purchase

I loved 26" Mavic CrossMax SLR (2010) wheels on my previous bike.

Would you recommend them for 29"?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Yes they will be stiffer, but your wallet will be poorer.

Stans Flow anyone?

And perhaps some traditional double butted spokes, or, even straight gauge?

Cheaper too as you can use the hub you already own....

Or, screw it, the terorrists win if you don't spend as much money as possible, so spend away!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    do you weigh 300 pounds or something? I cant see how a wheel set built on arch's used on a XC bike could be deemed flexy...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    75 kg. Not sure how much pounds is that

Arch 29er is flexy comparing to 26" CrossMax SLR I had before, and I can notice it when riding.

mtbr member
    dude, you're comparing a 26" wheel to a 29" wheel. is this your first 29er? are these the stock wheels you got on your scalpel? have you had a shop check them out to make sure there isn't anything wrong with them?

i'd change the spokes over to straight gauge before changing over to crossmax's... do mavic have multiple models that come in a lefty? the crossmax slr is still considered a race wheelset so i'd doubt there will be a noticeable difference to the arch wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    "is this your first 29er" -> yes. And I absolutely love the bike.

I do understand there will be more flex with 29er comparing to 26", but as this is my only "complaint" about the bike, I'd like to improve it as much as possible, while not adding weight.

Will try straight gauge first.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyelse View Post
    Will try straight gauge first.
    Bad idea.

Paying to have wheels torn down and rebuilt, just to replace spokes is a huge waste of time effort and $. Plus you're building with a used rim which is a recipe for uneven spoke tension thus a less stable wheel.

Have them rebuilt with a stiffer rim, IE: Flows.

Rim stiffness is the foundation of your build.

Want stiffer wheels, get stiffer rims.

Or. go big and spend a grand+ on Mavics or I9's.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Have you had your Stan's trued? Mine felt mushy during break-in but came to life once i had them serviced.

all about the all about
    Carbon.
    .. If I see this bike on display with those GT bars, I am bringing my hacksaw!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Have you had your Stan's trued? Mine felt mushy during break-in but came to life once i had them serviced.
    Note that these are 26" observations!

I had my rear wheel (Arch) rebuilt after a spoke broke due to mistakes in the build that caused a chain suck to nick several of the spokes with both the chain and derailleur. It is better than it was with the original build, even before the incident. There is no spoke noise at all now as I heard before as the wheel flexed. I think that the original build probably didn't stress the spokes enough and they were not tensioned properly. Maybe it is just a normal break-in procedure. They are Sapim spokes of some sort, double butted for sure--didn't catch the model though. Aaron at Kirkland Bicycle is a really good wheel builder.

My Rize has Mavic Crossmax STs and they are a bit stiffer than the Stans Arch I think. They are a bit narrower though.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3