mtbr member

Wheel upgrade for carbon flash 3

Hi guys just wondering have a 2013 flash 3 on order and already considering upgrading my wheelset . Any suggestions on a suitable upgrade, lighter stronger etc . I am 165 lbs so not too heavy . Looked at the enve as fitted to carbon ultimate but didn't want to spend silly money . Any suggestions greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hubs: DT Swiss 240s
    (or other like Tune, Acros.....)
    Rims: Notubes Crest
    Spokes: CX-Ray

I have the same wheelset and had it on a Flash first and now on my Scalpel 29. It is possible to run the tyres tubeless. I weigh 82kg and had no issues over the whole time. You will be able to feel the weight saving when you accelerate but the wheels are also very stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    ^How much weight saving are you going to get from that above change?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just went with Crests on my Flash with Alligator Windcutter Rotors, my total investment was $540.00. My bike is aluminum but the weight difference was amazing compared to the Infernos I had on it... I am also running the stock tires tubeless with no problems whatsoever...
    I am 5 rides into these wheels and weigh 180 geared up. They have stayed perfectly true, and I am riding in some pretty rough terrain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheel upgrade for carbon flash 3-bikes-009.jpg  

2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Crests.

I agree that the crests are a good choice. I did the same wheel upgrade on my 2012 Carbon 3 and it was a little over 1 lb lighter then stock. I think its definatly worth the money and you can ebay you stock wheels for a couple hundred to offset the cost.

Off topic question for A-ray why did you change rotors? My Elixers squeal like crazy and they always have a touch of drag. Are the rotors the fix?
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have had warbling, howling, squealing on just about all of my Avid brakes, including the Elixer 3's on my Flash. I took some advice from others on this site a while ago on the Alligator rotors and have never looked back. They are just about silent, lightweight, and reasonably priced... I ran them on my Stumpy FSR 29er with Elixer 7SL's, after a warranty replacement still did not solve my problem.
    Highly recommend taking the chance. I do not know for an absolute fact they cure everyone's issues or problems with Avid brakes, but they worked fantastic for me... They do sqeal just a tiny bit when wet, but after a couple seconds it goes away...
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    :thumbs Great thanks for the replies guys

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Have a look at Strada wheels, they are based down Bornemouth way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I ride the Stan's Race wheels- 1382g including skewers and $500 used via ebay with very limited use on them. Seems used lefty specific components go cheap!

These are super light but I raced/rode them all year with no issues or even having to true them 165 lbs racing expert.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Have a look at Strada wheels, they are based down Bornemouth way.
    Thanks for the tip will do

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2silent View Post
    I ride the Stan's Race wheels- 1382g including skewers and $500 used via ebay with very limited use on them. Seems used lefty specific components go cheap!

These are super light but I raced/rode them all year with no issues or even having to true them 165 lbs racing expert.
    Thanks 2silent the only concern i have with these wheels is the weight limit, i am 165 lbs without clothes on so fully laden with a back pack is going to be close to limit ?

Gumnut Peddler
    Exact same build I have been looking at doing.

Link: Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo on Stans Flow Front | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Nice to see some pictures of the wheels on a bike too.
    Last edited by Grinderz; 01-03-2013 at 02:43 AM.
    Burning fat, not oil.

SS XC Junkie
    Question, is the 2013 carbon Flash frame 142 or 135 spacing in the rear?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Standard.

135 9mm quick release.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    Nice to see some pictures of the wheels on a bike too.
    I went with Flows on the stock hubs of my '12 Carbon 3. Thought about Arch EX's, but I straddle the max. weight limit most of the year. And the No Tubes website had the old style Flows for $50/rim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheel upgrade for carbon flash 3-p1050248.jpg  

Wheel upgrade for carbon flash 3-p1050254.jpg  

2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a brand new, never used set of Stan's Arch on Sram X9 rear and Cannondale front hubs(same as what came on your bike) that I might be willing to sell if you are interested. The choice between Crest and Arch comes down to how you ride and how heavy you are as well as how prepared you are to true up /fix out of true rims. You are pretty much at the limit for crests but if you are smooth you might be able to get away with them. Arch is tiny bit heavier but stronger for a little piece of mind. My Arches are off of a Scalpel so they are the same black and green as your bike.

mtbr member
    Stan's Crests with the house rear hub is the best value IMHO. Light, reliable & easy to set up tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29er 1x10
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS rigid
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid
    Southern Maryland Crew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidthefridgeguy View Post
    I have a brand new, never used set of Stan's Arch on Sram X9 rear and Cannondale front hubs(same as what came on your bike) that I might be willing to sell if you are interested. The choice between Crest and Arch comes down to how you ride and how heavy you are as well as how prepared you are to true up /fix out of true rims. You are pretty much at the limit for crests but if you are smooth you might be able to get away with them. Arch is tiny bit heavier but stronger for a little piece of mind. My Arches are off of a Scalpel so they are the same black and green as your bike.
    Thanks fridge i am interested , if you want to pm me a price that would be good . Thank you Gavin

mtbr member
    Hi Raidthefridgeguy did you get my message ? i have not received a pm