BRILLIANT!

Wheel set suggestions...

I'm looking to upgrade the wheels on my Prophet 800. I dont want to spend a ton of cash, but want to go a couple of steps up from the OE Mavic 117's. Even more so I'd like some help with a nice set of hubs? Ive got my tires picked out, just need advice on the wheels.

Id like an above average wheel, with near bullit proof hubs. Any suggestions?

I ride XC, with some light DH in the desert. Lots of rocks, sand, and a few snakes.

mtbr member
    I have been thinking of doing the same for my P600.

The limiting factor for hubs is that you need a lefty compatible one at the front. There is a company called Woodman that make an alternative.

Mavic make the Crossmax wheels for the lefty and I am tempted by these, but they are not cheap - around £500 in the UK, although I bet you would get them loads cheaper in the US. The UK bike prices are the same in sterling in the uk as they are in dollars in the US e.g. P600 is £1600 in UK & $1600 in the US i.e. they are nearly half as much in the US. We do get better brakes in the UK though - Hayes 9 rather than mechanicals although I had these swapped for Hope Mono M4s as part of the deal.

If I didn't get the crossmax ones then I think I would stick to a Cannondale front hub and get a Hope rear one (it is nice to buy british when I can). I am not sure about rims, but the Mavic XM321 disc rims look good value.

Andrew

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Mavic sell a Lefty wheelset. Woodman Components are the only other manufacturer of an aftermarket Lefty hub, I think. Unless the Lefty hub is broken, I can't fathom why one would change replace it.

As for better wheels, you could upgrade your rims. When I broke my Mavic XM117 rims in a fall, I was given recommendations on the Syncros DS28 rim and the Mavic XM321 rim. I went with the Mavic rim as I was able to get it for about $10 cheaper than the Syncros rim, even though both have virtually identical recommended retail prices.

LA CHVRE
    Your choice of wheel also depends if you want UST compatibility. I personally will only run true Mavic UST rims now, it's so much easier to use than rimstrips and or converted setups and much more reliable too. The XM819 are strong and stiff.

For hubs, the stock Lefty hub is a fine one but I have heard good things about the Woodman too. You have more choice for the rear one. Chris King are excellent but very expensive, DT Swiss 240s are also good light hubs...

As for Crossmax wheels, they are very light and stiff but cost an arm and a leg. I just received my set yesterday, got a great deal on it and they're amazing wheel but they don't fit well with your 'I dont want to spend a ton of cash', maybe check ebay if you're not in a hurry, that's how I got mine...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 07-06-2005 at 07:51 AM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :