Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What's is it worth

951 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Caleb_Cook 
#1 ·
New to bikes, what's it worth, and how do you guys like it? And issues? Pros and cons?

Cannondale scalpel high modulus carbon full suspension

100mm Lefty XLR (up to date with service)

Rock shox monarch RTC3

Avid XX brakes

SRAM carbon crank

Shimano xtr rear derailleur

Stans str arch tubless ready wheels

2013 small

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, never ridden the 29er Scalpel before (been running on a 2011 26"), but from what I heard - Scalpel-Si is more fun than the Scalpel 29er.
But hey, if this bike fits your budget, I say go for it!
That aside, though, other stuff I've heard is that the Scalpel 20er is not as luggish as others in its class.
Still somewhat nimble - maybe like a 650b, but at least not like a usual 29er, so that's a +1 to yes for me.

#4 ·
What do you mean luggish?
I mean the responsiveness of the bike. 29ers (at least the older models) have a reputation of being slow in terms of nimbleness and agility when steering. The Scalpel 29er allegedly fixes this at least partially, according for what I've heard.

What do you mean 650b?
650b is another name for 27.5", basically wheel size.

He's at 2k is that a decent price? Sorry new to biking.
By 2k you mean in USD right? Apologies for this question, I'm from Singapore, so I have to do currency conversion to determine if it's worth the price you stated.

#6 ·
Bigger wheels actually, 26, 27.5, 29er - these are wheel diameters. The bigger the wheel diameter, theoretically it gets less responsiveness when steering. But the bonus is that you get better rollover, meaning you can clear bigger holes so to speak.
I think for 2k USD, this bike is decently priced.

#7 ·
For Someone who is new to bikes wants to go pretty much anywhere for the most part. And still some ashfalt. How would this broke be. With all these options of different bikes everyone's going to have their ups and downs what are the Downs on this bike?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#9 ·
For someone new to mountain biking I would avoid the Lefty fork like the plague. They are great when they are working, but need specialty tools and have a high failure rate. Most shops won't service them and C-dale wants an arm and a leg.

#10 ·
The Scalpel is an XC Race Bike , which makes it great for climbing up hills. Great for racing for an intermediate rider, but not a good option for a beginner. The ride is more harsh and it needs a little more maintenance than a regular trail bike. The geometry is geared towards racing efficiency, and not as forgiving as a trail bike. Head angle is steep which means it may be difficult to go down steeper terrain than other bikes.

Unless you have aCannondale dealer near by, getting the fork serviced may be a problem as well. Scalpel is a good bike, but not a good option as your only bike, unless you plan on racing it.

#12 ·
Since your looking at a small and are around a 2k budget. I would stick with a high end older 26 bike. Something like a Ibis mojo sl, santa cruz blur carbon, yeti. Get a fox fork and shimano brakes if you can.

#13 ·
The bike is a 2013 Scalpel 29 Carbon 2. If you want to know the value, go to bicyclebluebook.com and look up the value. What kind of riding will you be doing? Technical singletrack, rolling XC trails or asphalt riding? How long are your rides? What kind of bikes do you see at the trails you ride?

Scalpel is good for rolling XC trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.