mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Smile whats the best way to remove lefty with integrated stem

could anyone let me knoe how to remove the lefty with the new integrated stem. thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    It's all ball bearings these days.

mad aussie
    Follow this link to download the instructions for removal of integrated stem/steerer.

http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...plement_en.pdf

I dont have a tool, but I made one out of a thick dowel rod and some wood that I shaped to just fit on the end of my steerer. DO NOT TRY TO HAMMER IT OUT WITH A SCREWDRIVER OR ANYTHING MADE OF METAL! We had someone bring a bike back into the shop the other day and he totally destroyed his SI stem by trying to do that.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ok thanks for the advise. that's what happens to my friend. he totally destroyed...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hy friends, need liitle help here...

I have a DLR2 2006, not the model with the screwable cap at the end, you can see through mine. I wanted to take the steerer tube out to lube it up, its a little rough, so i removed the stem, loossened the two bolts, but was unable to remove the big black tube from the steerer column.

I was afraid to damage it so i stopped and put everithing togeather again.

How do i get the thing out? (didnt lube it ups its still rough...)

Thanks a lot
    Alex

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian21
    could anyone let me knoe how to remove the lefty with the new integrated stem. thanks
    I have removed and re-installed mine a few times. Get a rubber mallet and lightly tap under the stem portion as you lightly pull it up with your other hand. You'll find they come out easier than the old ones. Just use soft hands and don't force anything. Don't forget to take the screw cap off of the bottom of the steertube before you do this.

mad aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDireito
    Hy friends, need liitle help here...

I have a DLR2 2006, not the model with the screwable cap at the end, you can see through mine. I wanted to take the steerer tube out to lube it up, its a little rough, so i removed the stem, loossened the two bolts, but was unable to remove the big black tube from the steerer column.

I was afraid to damage it so i stopped and put everithing togeather again.

How do i get the thing out? (didnt lube it ups its still rough...)

Thanks a lot
    Alex
    You have to tap it down, not up if it doesnt have the integrated stem. There will be two places where the steerer will "catch" on the bearings, use a dowel (nothing metal!) and a rubber mallet and keep tapping away. If the steering feels "rough" it is the bearings that may need to be replaced, that wouldnt have anything to do directly with the steerer tube and lubing it wont help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    You have to tap it down, not up if it doesnt have the integrated stem. There will be two places where the steerer will "catch" on the bearings, use a dowel (nothing metal!) and a rubber mallet and keep tapping away. If the steering feels "rough" it is the bearings that may need to be replaced, that wouldnt have anything to do directly with the steerer tube and lubing it wont help.
    Thank You so much,

Alex

mtbr member

The title of this thread is "whats the best way to remove lefty with integrated stem".

mad aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by rumshcawheely
    The title of this thread is "whats the best way to remove lefty with integrated stem".
    True dat, but Alex indicated he didnt have the integrated stem and tapping it up wont help him!

mtbr member
    True dat, but Alex indicated he didnt have the integrated stem and tapping it up wont help him!
    Hey, I was just trying not to be made to sound stupid. Well maybe next time! How about a tip for the tap then... I find (if you don't care all that much about your rubber mallet) after you knock the steertube down into the heatube, just grab onto the rubber part of the mallet and slam the handle down there while using your other hand to hold onto the bottom of the steertube. This way you don't have to chase the tube across the garage when it falls out. I suppose and old hammer or broom handle would work too.