mtbr member
    Apr 2009

What year and Model?

I just pick up and old Cannondale that I believe is a late 90's model. It was converted to a single speed and I believe the only stock part are the cranks. They are Sugino Impel's. The wheels are Mavic 121's don't know if they are stock. The frame is CAAD 3 technology but no model decal. I can easily read the serial number on the bottom. Is there any way of telling the year and model? It has a front head shock also.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    post a pic

LA CHÈVRE
    A pic would help but you can tell the year by the serial number. You can check here to decode it...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just checked the website you gave me. It is a 1996. I'm not sure what model though. I'll try to post a pic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

1996 unk model?

[attach]What year and Model?-photo.jpg[/attach]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What year and Model?-photo1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    In '96 Cad 3's were limited to F700, F1000 & F3000. The F700 came with Headshok DD50 and the higher end bikes with a Fatty. All came with Coda cranks. None of this really matters though since the frames were all the same spec.
    Two other points; Cannondale sold framesets and these didn't have a model number for obvious reasons and specs often changed during the year.
    Another point is the frame is dated month and year when manufactured but the model year changes late autumn/fall of the year previous ie 2011 bikes might start to appear at shows shortly. The manufacturer is probably already producing these bikes now to be in the shops before christmas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the info. I'll check the shock out and see which one it is. Since they had the same specs. it's now only a curiosity factor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    vintagecannondale.com. go there and enter the serial #. should tell you which it is.